Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turned down from Citi Bank

tag
Brian_Trying_700
Frequent Contributor

Turned down from Citi Bank

I applied for a Citi Platinum Select MasterCard and got turned down. Here is the reason. " A delinquent credit obligation(s), either paid
or unpaid, was recorded on your credit bureau report." I have a 645 C.S with 3 credit cards and a car loan I pay all in full each month. I don't get it. ?

Garden mode till 11/19/2013 Amex Zync 500 H-L I Discover More 1750 I Capital One Rewards 1750 I Barclay Apple 1500 I Macys 2000 I Orchard 400 I Walmart 2000 I Chase Freedom 1500 I Lowes 1K l Barclay NFL 1K l Wright Express gas 2500 l PayPal Debit MasterCard BusinessCard $ ?
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Turned down from Citi Bank

Get your reports from annual credit report and look for any negatives -- in your case, a delinquent account or CO.

Message 2 of 21
Brian_Trying_700
Frequent Contributor

Any help would be great.

Garden mode till 11/19/2013 Amex Zync 500 H-L I Discover More 1750 I Capital One Rewards 1750 I Barclay Apple 1500 I Macys 2000 I Orchard 400 I Walmart 2000 I Chase Freedom 1500 I Lowes 1K l Barclay NFL 1K l Wright Express gas 2500 l PayPal Debit MasterCard BusinessCard $ ?
Message 3 of 21
dharalex
Established Contributor

I agree, find out what they are talking about and get it fixed. This site will help you! I just got a citicard (thank you) with my beginning scores. But obviously, they take many factors into consideration. You will get there!

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, you probably won't get many responses within the first 4 minutes of starting a thread. 

Message 5 of 21
Brian_Trying_700
Frequent Contributor

I had 2 60 days late from Macy's  from 4 years ago when I lost my job. Other then that, I had no other credit history because I usually use cash. I did call Macy'sto get a letter stating Im a great customer and Have been paying my bills on time. I guess good faith letter. How do I send it to the big 3 ?

Message 6 of 21
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Brian_Trying_700 wrote:

I applied for a Citi Platinum Select MasterCard and got turned down. Here is the reason. " A delinquent credit obligation(s), either paid
or unpaid, was recorded on your credit bureau report." I have a 645 C.S with 3 credit cards and a car loan I pay all in full each month. I don't get it. ?

Welcome to myFICO.

I agree that you need to check all 3 of your free reports you can get at annualcreditreport.com. Make sure there are no errors on any of them. One or perhaps all of them might have the details of what delinquency is mentioned in the denial letter.

ETA: Looks like I typed too slow!

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Trying_700 wrote:

I had 2 60 days late from Macy's  from 4 years ago when I lost my job. Other then that, I had no other credit history because I usually use cash. I did call Macy'sto get a letter stating Im a great customer and Have been paying my bills on time. I guess good faith letter. How do I send it to the big 3 ?

With a little searching you can find fax numbers and email addresses.  Several people have had luck with GEMB (Macy's) lately.  Try sending one of them a PM and ask if they will give you the contact info that they used.

Message 8 of 21
Brian_Trying_700
Frequent Contributor

By the way. I own my own company (6 yrs ) 100k+ and have no debt besides my car which is $17K, I financed it in April. The car cost a total of 26k. The reason I bought it was to show the banks that I am reliable.  

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Trying_700 wrote:

By the way. I own my own company (6 yrs ) 100k+ and have no debt besides my car which is $17K, I financed it in April. The car cost a total of 26k. The reason I bought it was to show the banks that I am reliable.  

Not to sound mean, but if your only history is 2 60 day lates and a car payment that you've been paying on time (presumably) for only 5 months, you still don't look too great to lenders.  Lenders typically like to see a decent length of history, few lates (none at all is better, obviously), low utilization of credit, no history of BK, etc.  Sure it's nice that you make $100k+, and yes lenders surely look at your income as a sign of ability to pay, but another major concern for them is if you'll pay.

You may want to post a little more detail about your credit history and maybe the members here can point you in a good direction for CCs you can get approved for.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.