Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Zync to Platinum?

tag
Essence
Contributor

Upgrade Zync to Platinum?

Tonight, I was going to pull the trigger on an AMEX Platinum 75k SUB, but received the language "based on your history with American Express welcome offers, introductory APR offers, or the number of cards you have opened and closed, you are not eligible to receive this welcome offer" I cancelled while contemplating other moves to make. 

It appears that I am able to upgrade my old ZYNC card (which I love but do not use) to a Platinum for 60k MR and does not appear to have terms / warnings about the bonus as the main application did, but I have yet to confirm and submit one.

Does this sound like a good move to make, or at least, the best move I have available?

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Upgrade Zync to Platinum?

Why upgrade for an offer you can just app for? 60k seems standard. How old is your Zync? I hear its a cool nostalgic card to have. They say when going for a Plat try to get best SUB possible as its once in a lifetime. If you cant get the 100k offer maybe call Amex and see if the 75k offer is available for you to upgrade.
Message 2 of 28
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

What I would give for a zync unicorn card :/..  Really depends if you can get value out of the platinum as 60k is the normal offer if you want to keep account age and can use platinum then by all means otherwise keep the zync and in the future possibly apply for platinum with 100k offer if ever targeted if you can use it at that point.  

Message 3 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Why upgrade for an offer you can just app for? 60k seems standard. How old is your Zync? I hear its a cool nostalgic card to have. They say when going for a Plat try to get best SUB possible as its once in a lifetime. If you cant get the 100k offer maybe call Amex and see if the 75k offer is available for you to upgrade.

Joseph! OP said that they tried to apply for a new Platinum but was given a warning that they would not qualify for the sign up bonus which is why they are wondering if the upgrade route is the way to go.

OP: I also have the Zync and they will have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands. It is essentially a Green card with a $70 lower annual fee. Outside of the cool look (maybe more rare than Centurian?) and the fact that others cannot apply for the card, it is worthless for the most part.

So to play Devil's Advocate I will not give you an answer as to what you should do but rather give you some points: Pros for upgrading: Since Amex no longer backdate's new accounts, by simply upgrading you get to keep the Zync's open date; you were offered a reasonable upgrade bonus of 60K MR points. Con: well, once you upgrade away from Zync you cannot downgrade back to it. If you wish to downgrade Platinum after a yer because you are not getting the benefit from it, the lowest you can go is to Green at $95 a year (rumours are that Green will be changing soon which will mean some better benefits-and a higher AF). 

Pro of not upgrading: you get to keep a rare card that is basically a current Green card at $70 per year discount; con: Zync (and current Green) really do not have much in the way of benefits. 

If you were really interested in Platinum and cannot qualify for its sign up bonus, it would make sense to convert your little used Zync to get the Platinum. Just know that once you upgrade away from Zync you cannot go back.

Message 4 of 28
JaseT
Established Contributor

Even though my account is no longer open, I still have my Amex Zync card lol 😂

BK7 Filed 12/16, Discharged 3/17 *** Current Revolving CL Total $122.1k *** PIF/AZEO
6/19 FICO SCORES:
On My Radar Cards: Nothing ATM
Future Goal Cards: US Bank Cash +, Citi Double Cash, Discover It, BoA Cash Rewards, USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex
Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting. I have the Zync as well from 2011 and every time I log in, it ask me to upgrade to the Platinum card. I have not pulled the trigger yet. Every time I use people always say "a white american express" or "I've never seen this card before". I also find it interesting that when I spoke to a rep on the phone several times, they said the Zync is not eligible for upgrade but it asks me in my account to upgrade?
Message 6 of 28
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Thanks DadSmiley Happy yeah i misread that. I thought he was offered a 75k upgrade. Darn eyes! Good info though. . Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may need to know why the welcome offer of 75k isn't available for you with direct app of plat.

Even though you didn't see warning of no SUB for upgrade, that doesn't guarantee you will have SUB. There are notable number of cases of people getting no SUB even though they didn't get any pop up warning.

Message 8 of 28
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

I heard that the Zync is considered Membership Rewards Express, so it's separate from Membership rewards that Every, EDP and BBP. If it does to in with those 3 cards, it would be a no brainier to keep it. However, if it isn't I would upgrade to the Gold. I would never get the Platinum, unless I were to get paid for travel.
Message 9 of 28
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

They are not going to get my Zync card out of my hands, they will have to cancel it or offer to give me a green at $25 a year. 

Gone are the days of Senior Green, I have a back dated $25 charge card (8 years of credit history), not giving it up. If I decide I want a Gold or Platinum, I will be appying outright for the card, with a nice signing bonus and possibly the annual fee waived for the first year. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.