Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using all my cards each month

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using all my cards each month

I have about 16 cards..couple of store..majority of them major cards. My question is is there a certain amount that should be charged each month? For example..should I should charge a a pack of gum each month..should I charge a meal each month $10? I just wanted to see what everyone else was charging to keep their cards active so that the credit card company doesn't shut it down. Thanks

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Using all my cards each month

You dont have to use every card every month to keep them active. Every 6 months is fine. I believe Barclays is every 3 months. A pack of gum is fine.
Message 2 of 14
uswala
Senior Contributor

There are a few cards that I just use for my laundry once every 3-4 months.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!

Message 4 of 14
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@uswala wrote:

You do laundry once every 3-4 months??!!?? Smiley Surprised

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a couple of cards that I have a monthly charge on for donations and/or gas bill. The store cards I buy something I want/need every two or three months. Except Amazon, of course, where I charge weekly. lol

Message 6 of 14
creditguy
Valued Contributor

I put the majority of spending on one or two cashback cards every month and this depends on rotating categories and what not. A few other cards I put small recurring charges like netflix and hulu etc, just to keep them warm. Store cards I bring out every couple months or so and put something on them depending on store incentives. 

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CYBERSAM wrote:

@uswala wrote:

You do laundry once every 3-4 months??!!?? Smiley Surprised

LMAOOO!! I'm sure USWALA meant they just pull the cards out once every 3-4 for laundry. Not do their laundry once every 3-4 months. Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have about 16 cards..couple of store..majority of them major cards. My question is is there a certain amount that should be charged each month? For example..should I should charge a a pack of gum each month..should I charge a meal each month $10? I just wanted to see what everyone else was charging to keep their cards active so that the credit card company doesn't shut it down. Thanks

Also, always consider "Do I really need them open?"   If a card isn't much use, and you have enough credit (and you have some high CLs) not too much point keeping a card that you have to think about keeping active.

Message 9 of 14
baller4life
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, always consider "Do I really need them open?"   If a card isn't much use, and you have enough credit (and you have some high CLs) not too much point keeping a card that you have to think about keeping active.

👍

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.