Did you mean: 

Venture one upgrade

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: QS1 to Venture One to QS

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think Capital One views the QS and QS1 as the same product since the only real difference between them is the AF. If you look at the product change site, it is actually called a rewards upgrade so it would make sense they only want you to go to a new rewards structure that way. 

Hmmm, not buying that, there are actually three Quicksilver cards, the QuicksilverOne with the annual fee and low(ish) limits, the Quicksilver "World" card with limits up to $4,999, and the Quicksilver "World Elite" card with limits starting at $5,000 and going up from there.  My understanding from reading many posts here and elsewhere is the first two are "bucketed cards" in that moving from QS1 to the QS-World is difficult, if not impossible, and moving from QS-World to QS-World Elite is highly unlikely (I don't think I've seen a single report where this gratuation has happened).

The rewards are the same across all three. It's called a "rewards upgrade," that sounds plausible as an explanation to me whether I think it's fair or not. 

Message 31 of 53
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think Capital One views the QS and QS1 as the same product since the only real difference between them is the AF. If you look at the product change site, it is actually called a rewards upgrade so it would make sense they only want you to go to a new rewards structure that way. 

Hmmm, not buying that, there are actually three Quicksilver cards, the QuicksilverOne with the annual fee and low(ish) limits, the Quicksilver "World" card with limits up to $4,999, and the Quicksilver "World Elite" card with limits starting at $5,000 and going up from there.  My understanding from reading many posts here and elsewhere is the first two are "bucketed cards" in that moving from QS1 to the QS-World is difficult, if not impossible, and moving from QS-World to QS-World Elite is highly unlikely (I don't think I've seen a single report where this gratuation has happened).

The CLs definitely do not always correlate with the level of card (Plat, WMC, WEMC). Typically when the card is issued, if the limit is below $5,000 it is issued as a Plat MC/Plat Visa, and above 5K is WEMC/Visa Signature. Most of the time the card remains in the category it was approved in, even after CLIs. Some members report having their platinum cards upgraded to a WMC, but it's usually after having it for many, many years. My QS is still a Platinum MC, even with a $5,500 CL and being open for 6 years. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 32 of 53
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The CLs definitely do not always correlate with the level of card (Plat, WMC, WEMC). Typically when the card is issued, if the limit is below $5,000 it is issued as a Plat MC/Plat Visa, and above 5K is WEMC/Visa Signature. Most of the time the card remains in the category it was approved in, even after CLIs. Some members report having their platinum cards upgraded to a WMC, but it's usually after having it for many, many years. My QS is still a Platinum MC, even with a $5,500 CL and being open for 6 years. 

You have a Platinum Mastercard which is a Quicksilver?  That must be because it is a legacy card, they are definitely not offering that combination now.  For new card, the credit limit absolutely determines where you are bucketed; CapOne's Platinum card is one offering, and it is separate and distinct from any of the 3 Quicksilver offerings.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 33 of 53
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The rewards are the same across all three. It's called a "rewards upgrade," that sounds plausible as an explanation to me whether I think it's fair or not. 

The 1.5% reward may be the same across all three Quicksilver offerings, but the extra perks from World and World-Elite are a differentiator.

Message 34 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The 1.5% reward may be the same across all three Quicksilver offerings, but the extra perks from World and World-Elite are a differentiator.

Again, the website is talking about rewards upgrade... nothing else. It's a plausible explanation for why people can't jump from QS1 directly to QS but have to use V1 as an intermediary. 

Also the bucketing doesn't always apply. There are situations where Capital One will lift you out of one ABS bucket and put you in another. My QS started life as a basic $300 Platinum and it worked up to $8250 between 2014-2018 before they slashed it to $2K for very little use last year. It's not common but it does happen. 

Message 35 of 53
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You have a Platinum Mastercard which is a Quicksilver?  That must be because it is a legacy card, they are definitely not offering that combination now.  For new card, the credit limit absolutely determines where you are bucketed; CapOne's Platinum card is one offering, and it is separate and distinct from any of the 3 Quicksilver offerings.

No, it started life as a QS1, PCd to VentureOne, and then PCd again to a QS. It started, and has always remained a Platinum MC. 

TCL $199,800
Message 36 of 53
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No, it started life as a QS1, PCd to VentureOne, and then PCd again to a QS. It started, and has always remained a Platinum MC. 

+1  My spouse's QS started as a Cap1 Plat and remained a Platinum MC after the upgrade.  It's less than a year old.  @Horseshoez, Capital One Platinum and Platinum Mastercard refer to different things.

Message 37 of 53
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

Is it standard that 6 months after upgrading the QS1 to V1 that you can upgrade the V1 to QS? Or do I need to meet some minimum spend requirement on the V1 first? Do you think the reason you have to get the V1 from QS1 is because of the V1 being not as good of a card as the QS? Whenever I call cap one the people tell me I should be optimistic about getting QS in the future and to be patient but none of them have said "after 6 months with the V1 you should be able to get a QS". If they said something like that I probably wouldn't have opened up a QS with a $1,000 SL 3 months ago.

Message 38 of 53
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@rgd51 wrote:

Is it standard that 6 months after upgrading the QS1 to V1 that you can upgrade the V1 to QS? Or do I need to meet some minimum spend requirement on the V1 first? Do you think the reason you have to get the V1 from QS1 is because of the V1 being not as good of a card as the QS? Whenever I call cap one the people tell me I should be optimistic about getting QS in the future and to be patient but none of them have said "after 6 months with the V1 you should be able to get a QS". If they said something like that I probably wouldn't have opened up a QS with a $1,000 SL 3 months ago.

No minimum requirements to meet. PC is never a guarantee, but the way it usually goes with them is that once you've PCd out of QS1 purgatory, you're generally good to PC again every 181 days. We're not always sure why V1 seems to be the easiest way out of a QS1, but it seems to be a solution to use as a stepping stone between the QS1 and the regular QS for a lot of people. As long as you have the patience to wait it out it's not so bad of an option as you are at least ditching the AF in the interim. 

TCL $199,800
Message 39 of 53
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Slabenstein wrote:

@Horseshoez, Capital One Platinum and Platinum Mastercard refer to different things.

Okay, what is a Quicksilver Platinum Mastercard?

Message 40 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.