cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What card should I get for foreign gap year?

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Going on Gap Year in Israel. Need help on what credit card to get.

IIRC CK also does not factor in AU cards on account age.

Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also that Flying Blue card from BofA might be nice if it didn’t have the $89 fee in the first year.
Message 12 of 23
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Yes but if you get the sign-up bonus that $89 could buy you a business class ticket home. The Air France award fares can be crazy.

Message 13 of 23
zerofire
Valued Contributor

Re: What card should I get for foreign gap year?

@Anonymous wrote:

Here is my situation. Senior in High School with an income of around 6.5k. Maybe more with scholarships and such. I need a new credit card with no foreign transaction fees. Would love a CSP or Venture but not sure that is realistic. If it helps I don't keep balances on any credit cards and pay full balance weekly.

Suggestions on what card I should apply or look at?

Here is my current lineup.

Discover it (1.5k) CL (Oct 2018)

Eastern Bank Visa (1.5k) CL (Sep 2018)

Delta Blue AmEx (1.5k) CL (Nov 2018)

Authorized user on a few cards as well

FICO 

718 Experian (3 HP)

735 TransUnion (3 HP)

720 Equifax (2 HP)

I am seeing a massive gap in the recommendations so far so I will throw in my opinion on what I believe is the most appropriate card. I vote the PayPal 2% Cashback MC from Synchrony Bank. You get a very easy 2% back for every perchase, the card has no FTF, and Synchrony Bank is pretty much the easiest bank to get a card from. On top of that they hit TU and that is your highest score right now. The best thing about it though is that it will be useful once you come back as well as you can add the PayPal Cashback Buisness Debit MC to it to get an additional 1% to get 3% total.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC(Pending PC), Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense WMC, Curve WEMC(Suspended), Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, GBank VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Santander Ultimate Cash Back WMC, Synchrony PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], Upgrade Cash Rewards Elite VSC, US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, PCMCU Platinum Rewards, Redstone FCU Signature, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 14 of 23
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So here is what it is going to look like overseas. I am going to have a TD bank Premier Checking. We are going to keep a minimum of 2.5k in there as I get reimbursed all ATM fees and with TD bank there are no FTF’s.

Should I wait until maybe June until applying for a CC? Possibly apply for the CSP first if my income goes up due to scholarship or figuring out what type of allowances I will have from the family? Then if I get declined, shoot for a Quicksilver or BofA Travel Rewards?

June would be a good time for a lot of decent cards. At that point, your youngest card would be about six months old. And what's nice is that the date fits into your schedule.

Chase doesn't typically approve unless one's oldest card (not AU) is a year old. That puts you into November. Whether you'd be positioned for a CSP would depend on what your profile looks like at that time.

Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fantastic. Maybe, I'll just pull the trigger on the BofA or Cap1 card at that time, depending on signup bonuses and the like. Also, I am not so sure about the PayPal Synchrony card. I have heard mixed experiences with them.

Message 16 of 23
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

It’s a recent development but that 3% loophole is gone as of next month.
Message 17 of 23
zerofire
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:
It’s a recent development but that 3% loophole is gone as of next month.

I do not have any notice to that effect. Maybe that is for some customers and not others. I know my card's account did not get any changes applied to that effect.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC(Pending PC), Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense WMC, Curve WEMC(Suspended), Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, GBank VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Santander Ultimate Cash Back WMC, Synchrony PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], Upgrade Cash Rewards Elite VSC, US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, PCMCU Platinum Rewards, Redstone FCU Signature, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought that the CSP had an income requirement, which I think OP's $6.5K might be too low?

I do know that some CCC's have a minimum income on their various products.

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are the minimum income’s for the cards I should look at?
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.