Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What causes the "app itch"?

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

What causes the "app itch"?

Per other members, a separate thread should be made. Discuss!!!!

Edit: someone beat me to it Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 1 of 96
95 REPLIES 95
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

Re: What causes the "app itch"?

wanting more credit lol...rebuilding my credit wanting a better card rewards apr amount of credit...something new?

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 2 of 96
FrugalRican
Blogger

What I call the "DO SOMETHING NOW" syndrome.

In this day and age of quick information, knowledge and fixes, waiting months upon months for the credit situation to slowly resolve itself and grow (AKA the garden) can be quite aggravating. To some, apping gives a sense of control over their situation while just waiting can mean that the situation controls them.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 3 of 96
TeeandDee
Frequent Contributor

This "Credit Card" forum! LOL!!!  All the great news about "Just got approved for this card" or got this offer in the mail!" or that card!!!! 

Slowly building....
Message 4 of 96
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@TeeandDee wrote:

This forum "Credit Card" forum! LOL!!!  All the great news about "Just got approved for this card" or got this offer in the mail!" or that card!!!! 

So true!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 96
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

What I call the "DO SOMETHING NOW" syndrome.

In this day and age of quick information, knowledge and fixes, waiting months upon months for the credit situation to slowly resolve itself and grow (AKA the garden) can be quite aggravating. To some, apping gives a sense of control over their situation while just waiting can mean that the situation controls them.

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 96
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

@TeeandDee wrote:

This "Credit Card" forum! LOL!!!  All the great news about "Just got approved for this card" or got this offer in the mail!" or that card!!!! 

Don't laugh. This is part of the answer: Onnela JP, Reed-Tsochas F, Spontaneous emergence of social influence in online systems, Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 2010 Oct 26; 107(43): 18375-80

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 7 of 96
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

@TeeandDee wrote:

Don't laugh. This is part of the answer: Onnela JP, Reed-Tsochas F, Spontaneous emergence of social influence in online systems, Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 2010 Oct 26; 107(43): 18375-80

Smiley Indifferent

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 96
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

For 10 years, I couldn't get credit to save my life! After waiting 10 yrs for a BK to fall off, and another 2 to rebuild credit, it's such a nice feeling to know I can be approved for credit again. It's like I'm in a club that I couldn't join before.

I think Frugal is right. In so many ways, credit is something we have no control over. We can't control our FICO. And one mistake -- like heaven forbid be 1 day late on a payment -- stays with you for 7 years. IMO, that's very punitive. Apping is one area where we do have some control. We can choose to app or not. So, it could be exerting control in a situation where we have very little.

I get so excited about getting credit that I have to remind myself it's not really a big deal. I mean, it's not free money. If I charge something, I have to pay for it, and if I don't PIF, then I pay through the nose in interest (which I'm unwilling to do). Credit is really a means to an end -- you *need* credit to get things you want -- like a car and house. The cards themselves really shouldn't give me such a buzz, but they do. Smiley Surprised

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 9 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

Visiting dirty apps. Just sayin Smiley Tongue

TBC

Message 10 of 96
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.