Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is bad about Capital One?

tag
JenniferinFL
Frequent Contributor

What is bad about Capital One?

Please note, this isn't a snarky question, I'm curious because I've read a lot on this board over the last couple months. The complaint I see over and over again about Capital One is the lack of credit limit increases even years down the road. It seems like the limit you qualify with is the one you are stuck with for years no matter how much your credit improves. Additionally, good luck getting a customer service rep who can actually help you if you do have a problem.

Now, I'm not minimizing those problems as they are very real issues. But, let's just say for example that someone like my husband wants 0% financing for a washer/dryer at Bestbuy which is now backed by Capital One. He is not high income, he makes $27K a year. The company he is working for is working their way into the nuclear technologies supply business which means my husband will have to get additional certifications and homeland security clearances. When that happens, his income will only increase to about $32k annually. (It scares me that the people who assemble our nuclear power station components are only making around $30k annually, I think bankers earn more for significantly less responsibility, but that's a whole 'nother topic)

With his income, I see no reason for a credit limit for a traditional card of more than about $5k and maybe a $2k limit for a store card. He really has no business putting more than that on a credit card at any given time.Anything above that for him would just be bragging rights, though I understand that a lot of people have a valid reason for higher limits.

So, that being said, is Capital One really that bad of a deal for someone like him? Are there more negatives to capital one than the unchanging credit limit and the mediocre customer service?

Please feel free to add any negatives you've had with Capital One, especially if they vary from the typical lack of credit limit increases..  I especially want to hear any tales of balance chasing, because I hate that practice especially in the case of no lates or missed payments.

I'll add complaints to this as they come in..  Smiley Happy

Drawbacks to Capital One

CL doesn't grow

Poor customer service

3 Hard pulls for credit (may only be one for store cards)

Annual Fees for some cards

No product changing (have to close old card, 2 card limit?)

Infuriating nonfunctioning CLI button

Payment Holds (particularly new accounts)

Pro's to Capital One

Gives credit to riskier individuals at rates better than other subprime lenders

Balance chasing either nonexistant or very rare

APR changes for carrying a balance nonexistant or rare

No Foreign Exchange fees

Current Cards: Cap 1 Journey $3000, Cap 1 Playstation $2250, WFNNB Store Cards $2450 combined, Target $700, CareCredit $1700, Barclay Rewards Plat. Mastercard $1800, Old Navy $300, DCU Platinum Rewards Visa $2000, Swagbucks Rewards Visa $1000

Starting Score: 615 EQ (03-15-2012) 600 TU (03-21-2012 Barclays app) ) Ch.7 discharged 5/2009

Current Score: 671 EQ (09-27-2014 DCU) 660 TU (9/26/14 Barclays) Ex 688 (10/07/2014 Swagbucks)

Gardening since 9/22/2014

Message 1 of 99
98 REPLIES 98
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

Re: What is bad about Capital One?

I too would be interested in hearing some others experiences with Cap1, as I just recently received one of their cards and would like to see what I may expect in the future.

border="0" align="left" width="450" height="90">
Message 2 of 99
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I have never heard a story of balance chasing from Cap One.

My best friend was just approved for their cash card a couple weeks ago and received a $7000 limit, no AF.  Her salary is lower than your husband's.  I never thought they were that bad.  People tend to "outgrow" them and then take their frustrations out on Cap One for not growing with them.  They just don't typically do that.  They simply want you to apply for another card.  Lots of people like their Venture card as well.  I like their 0 forex fees and I never worry about them closing my card.  I did have one bad experience with customer service but I wasn't going to let that one person "make" me hate the whole company and have me drop their card. 

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 99
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

I think the main quips about Cap One are that it doesn't grow with you and their CS isn't great (understatement). Personally, I'm frustrated with their CS because I can call 5 times and get 5 different answers to the same question, each person swearing up and down that THEY are giving me the RIGHT answer. Another beef with them (now, I don't know how this works w/BB now that they are doing their CCs) is that they do 3 pulls for a CC. I mean, if Amex and Chase are willing to extend credit w/1 HP, what makes Cap One so special that they need 3?

Beyond that, my exp with them has been fine, but I never carried a balance for more than a couple of months during the 0% period. (That was actually a test to see if it might help me get a CLI with them. Smiley Happy)

I'm curious to see how Cap One is handling the Best Buy cards. I don't have one, and how they handle these cards will determine if I choose to get one in the future. Does anyone know if they do 3 HPs for a BB card?

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 4 of 99
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

I have had a $300 CL for almost 5 years for which I have paid $59 annually. I once tried clicking their online CLI request, which said they aren't offering it and review accounts on their own for CLIs. (Why have that option online?) To the extent that it helped me have a card, that was fine. They did give me a card but I did pay them for it. It just leaves a rather unsatifying feeling.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 5 of 99
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@clocktick wrote:

I have never heard a story of balance chasing from Cap One.

My best friend was just approved for their cash card a couple weeks ago and received a $7000 limit, no AF.  Her salary is lower than your husband's.  I never thought they were that bad.  People tend to "outgrow" them and then take their frustrations out on Cap One for not growing with them.  They just don't typically do that.  They simply want you to apply for another card.  Lots of people like their Venture card as well.  I like their 0 forex fees and I never worry about them closing my card.  I did have one bad experience with customer service but I wasn't going to let that one person "make" me hate the whole company and have me drop their card. 

+1 Agree

(I'll add more later to this answer)

Message 6 of 99
BlueNightStar
Regular Contributor

For all of their faults that others have mentioned (little to no credit line increases, lack of customer service, etc., all true by the way) I really find them to be the most consistent creditor I have. Do I like my $500 limit, no I do not. However, I will say that they never care about carrying a balance or what payments I am making. I had a balance on that card for 2 years during my worst financial times. The did not increase my APR. They did not balance chase me. They didn't care if I made 1 payment per month or 10. All of my other cards took AA against me during those times.

I closed another higher limit card I had with them back in 2009 (before I understood the consequences). I was treated the same with that card. Honestly, if I had to carry a balance right now, I would use my current Cap 1 card. They are the only CC issuer I currently have that would not care. Eventually I want to get a CU card that will hopefully be my go to card if I need to carry a balance. Until that happens, I'm leaving this one open. I like having a card where I don't have to worry about what I'm doing with it.

If you can get a card for average credit and not one of the rebuilder ones, you might get enough of a credit line for your needs. It's a trade off. The card probably won't grow much but at the same time you can use it without fear of repercussions. My file is very thin and I am still rebuilding so consider my opinion from that perspective.

Message 7 of 99
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Jennifer;

Other than what you posted that you've heard for negatives, there aren't a lot.  If  you don't need CS for something (they're iffy in that dept), don't expect a CLI (unless you're put on the credit steps program) and need something to start or build\re-build a file, there really isn't anything wrong with Cap 1.    and also don't mind 3 HPs (1 for each CB) when opening a Cap 1 card.    All that is in reference to Cap 1 CCs, not store cards.

As far as BB is concerned, I would not be surprised to find out they only pull 1 CB if a persons info isn't too "iffy", if questionable, maybe 2 or all 3. 

Those that seem to "hate" Cap 1 often were overjoyed when they first got their card from them. Then after that, noticed (as stated above) they wouldn't acknowledge the persons improved credit and that tends to make people wonder what they haven't done correctly (ie: it ticks them off).  They forget Cap 1 may have been a good part of the reason they were able to get cards that were previously way out of reach.

You husband, if he has a clean file, shouldn't have much problem with a BB card handled by Cap 1.  If the payments are on time, and the rest of his report is kept in order and he doesn't need CS or a CLI out of the blue, I'd expect he'd be happy with them.    Essentially, do not allow them to allow you to slip up, is a good way to put it.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 8 of 99
ajh5408
Contributor

On one hand, they issued me my first card, offered the Credit Steps program, and their CS has become somewhat more helpful over the past few years...

On the other hand, they HP all three credit reports, don't accept customer-initiated CLI requests, and seem utterly incapable of offering existing customers any type of concession beyond telling you to apply for a new card if you don't like what you've got.

For a while they offered some meaningful products on the banking side, but with the introduction of new fees and minimums this month, I can't say I see much value in doing business with them at all, aside from as a stepping stone to get you elsewhere!

[Actually, one more thing: Back when short-term deposit rates were higher, you could issue yourself a no-fee balance transfer check online (or use the ones that came with your statement) and float the money in a deposit account until the bill came due, without paying a penny in interest. For those with high limits who weren't concerned about util, this was profitable... Nowadays, it's still a nice feature for cashflow, but not particularly worthwhile for any other reason.]

Message 9 of 99
No_You

I got a secured card through them I August and a 500 limit platinum rewards unsecured card in December. I am in the rebuilding phase. I've pumped several thousand dollars through the latter, and when I spoke to them today they said I'll get a whopping $250 increase in July. Only complaint I have is that they randomly hold payments which results in a denied transaction because the payment takes forever to clear. If you call they release the funds though. It's a stepping stone.

Starting Score: 646
Current Score: 646
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 99
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.