Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with MR points?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to do with MR points?

@Anonymous wrote:

American Airlines devalued their point system pretty significantly I hear. Sister-in-law is not happy about it at all since she signed up not that long ago with one of their promos.

They haven't changed it any time recently so if she signed up for a promo not far in the past, it's the same.

Message 21 of 25
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@Jaylima91 wrote:
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I’m trying to find the best promo for my points to fly to Europe. I heard British Airways has a pretty good transfer promo going on.

There is a promo for MR to Avios transfers going on right now.  Problem with BA is the taxes and fuel surcharges are so high on award tickets it's almost not worth it.

I'm planning a trip using FlyingBlue points when I get my MR bonuses.  The taxes on those tickets are high, but not nearly as high as on BA and you still get better point rates to Europe than with US carriers.  You can fly to anywhere in Europe and Israel for as low as 25K points per person each way.

Message 22 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

MrDisco99 wrote:

Jaylima91 wrote:
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I’m trying to find the best promo for my points to fly to Europe. I heard British Airways has a pretty good transfer promo going on.

There is a promo for MR to Avios transfers going on right now.  Problem with BA is the taxes and fuel surcharges are so high on award tickets it's almost not worth it.

I'm planning a trip using FlyingBlue points when I get my MR bonuses.  The taxes on those tickets are high, but not nearly as high as on BA and you still get better point rates to Europe than with US carriers.  You can fly to anywhere in Europe and Israel for as low as 25K points per person each way.

Yep, the fuel charges with Avios can be crazy going international.

Message 23 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jaylima91 wrote:

I checked a flight from Philadelphia to Dublin via British Avios for American Airlines co-branded flight and it 40k points and 350 dollars.  Now that flight is often 600 dollars cash depending on the day of the week you check it.  So you would have to spend 40k Avios to get a 250 dollar discount.  

From what I have read British Airways doesn't charge the ridiculous fuel surcharges on domestic, US to Caribiean and US to South America Flights.  There is actually a class action lawsuit going forward aboutt BA's fuel surcharge scam.  

If you want to fly to Europe you can just get American Airline points directly.  60k miles roundtrip to Europe.  I am getting 65k for Citi AA Advantage for 4k spend.  Barclay Aviator is giving me 50k for a single purchase. Planning to get Amex SPG as soon as their bonus goes up to 35k again. With the spendng requirment and the 5k bonus with each 20k transfer to American Airlines that should be another 50k points.  

Message 24 of 25
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jaylima91 wrote:

I checked a flight from Philadelphia to Dublin via British Avios for American Airlines co-branded flight and it 40k points and 350 dollars.  Now that flight is often 600 dollars cash depending on the day of the week you check it.  So you would have to spend 40k Avios to get a 250 dollar discount.  

From what I have read British Airways doesn't charge the ridiculous fuel surcharges on domestic, US to Caribiean and US to South America Flights.  There is actually a class action lawsuit going forward aboutt BA's fuel surcharge scam.  

If you want to fly to Europe you can just get American Airline points directly.  60k miles roundtrip to Europe.  I am getting 65k for Citi AA Advantage for 4k spend.  Barclay Aviator is giving me 50k for a single purchase. Planning to get Amex SPG as soon as their bonus goes up to 35k again. With the spendng requirment and the 5k bonus with each 20k transfer to American Airlines that should be another 50k points.  

I don't think surcharges are as steep if you fly aer lingus via avios to dublin. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.