Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Cards to Get Rid Of

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which Cards to Get Rid Of

I have been lurking here for a while and picking up useful information. I had really bad credit  a few years ago and started getting back on track. I have gotten rid of old debts and increased my credit score 100 points.  I picked up quite a few cards along the way but feel like it is time to get rid of some of them. Just curious of which ones anyone thinks I should defintely dump.  All of my cards have a zero balance with the exception of 1 Capital one card. I have listed my cards below with their credit limit. 

Victoria Secret $250

First Access     $350

Captial One Quicksliver $500

Target $300

Cortrust $ 300

Carecredit $600

Walmart $380

Fingerhut $1400

Surge $500

1st Premier $500

1st Premier $700

Kohls $700

Amazon $800

Credit One $750

Capital One Platinum $3500 ( has $1500 balance and will pay off over the next 3 months)

My thoughts were to get rid of First Access, Cortrust, Surge, and both 1st Premier cards. Should I get rid of any others?

Thanks in advance for any input or advice! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Re: Which Cards to Get Rid Of

Credit One.  They'll keep nickel and diming you for the privilege of holding their card.  Once you can get cards from real lenders (like Capital One) you don't need them anymore.

Message 2 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Credit One as well, but temember closing msy affect your utilaztion so in steps if you like.

Target seems to growing lately. Amazon and Wally can grow nicely. Care Credit can too. I think you have enough store cards so for your next leg of the journey youll want to concentrate on majors, Cap One is a good step forward. At least those others dont have balances, you have the right idea. Keep a check on the prequals every now and than as your score rises.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been lurking here for a while and picking up useful information. I had really bad credit  a few years ago and started getting back on track. I have gotten rid of old debts and increased my credit score 100 points.  I picked up quite a few cards along the way but feel like it is time to get rid of some of them. Just curious of which ones anyone thinks I should defintely dump.  All of my cards have a zero balance with the exception of 1 Capital one card. I have listed my cards below with their credit limit. 

Victoria Secret $250

First Access     $350

Target $300

Cortrust $ 300

Carecredit $600

Walmart $380

Fingerhut $1400

Surge $500

1st Premier $500

1st Premier $700

Kohls $700

Amazon $800

Credit One $750

Capital One Platinum $3500 ( has $1500 balance and will pay off over the next 3 months)

My thoughts were to get rid of First Access, Cortrust, Surge, and both 1st Premier cards. Should I get rid of any others?

Cap One Quicksilver and Target are good cards.  Obviously keep the Cap One Platinum as it has a high limit.  If you shop at Amazon, Victoria Secret, Kohls and Walmart keep them if not close them.  Fingerhut card is absolutely worthless but it is one of your higher limits so I would keep that until you get some big limit cards.  Everything else seems like you should close them.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Use the Capital One upgrade link to see if you can PC that Platinum to a cashback rewards card!

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

MrDisco99-Thanks!  I will defintely get rid of them also. I was going to wait a while on them, I don't have an annual fee this year so figured I would hold on to since I was getting rid of so many others right now.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for the replies/advice. I will defintely look into getting rid of CreditOne and I may drop VS later on since I never use it.

Message 7 of 12
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Victoria Secret $250

First Access     $350

Target $300

Cortrust $ 300

Carecredit $600

Walmart $380

Fingerhut $1400

Surge $500

1st Premier $500

1st Premier $700

Kohls $700

Amazon $800

Credit One $750

Definitely get rid of CreditOne and the two FP cards.   As for VS, you can use it in-store at Bath & Body Works.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your AAOA will not get affected when closing the cards you want.  They will still report for 10 years.

Message 9 of 12
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Your AAOA will not get affected when closing the cards you want.  They will still report for 10 years.

Put a * next to that comment because they can report for 10 years. I've heard some on here say cards of theirs were dropped within a year or two. No guarentee on 10 years.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.