Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card should I apply for next?

tag
Cashbackjunky
Established Contributor

Which card should I apply for next?

I know this has been asked plenty of times and I'm hoping this will spark a lot of responses.

I currently have the following cards (in order of age):

Wells Fargo cash back (1% on everything) - $1,900
BofA 3-2-1 rewards (3% on gas, 2% on groceries & 1% on everything else) - $11,000
Synchrony discount tire - $10,000
Chase Freedom (5% on rotating categories) - $5,500
Capital one Quicksilver (1.5% on everything ) - $10,000
AMEX Blue Cash Preferred (6% on groceries, 3% on gas, 1% on everything else) - $14,500

I never have any balances, I always PIF, so BT cards aren't needed (PC'd my Slate to a Freedom already, from way back when I had a balance to transfer).

I'm wondering if you guys know of a good card that would fit in here that maybe gets rewards in different categories? I'm not a traveler, so travel cards are off the table.

Throw out any and all ideas, it doesn't have to be a new card. Give me, in your opinion, the best next move in my credit profile.

Thanks in advance for all the replies.

Cheers!
AmEx Blue Cash Preferred - $20k | | AmEx Cash Magnet - $20k | | Apple Card - $29k | | BofA Customized Cash - $96k | | BofA Customized Cash - $25k | | BofA Unlimited Cash - $30k | | CapOne Quicksilver - $16.25k | | CapOne Venture - $30k | | Chase Amazon - $26.7k | | Chase Freedom Unlimited - $24k | | Chase Freedom - $16k | | Chase Freedom Flex - $41k | | Citi Custom Cash - $17.9k | | Citi Rewards+ - $15.4k | | Discover It Cash Back - $18k | | Discover It Cash Back - $21.3k | |Discover It Travel - $14.5k | | Elan Max Cash Preferred- $15k | | PayPal Cashback Mastercard - $20k | | PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature - $12.5k | | PenFed Power Cash - $12.5k | | Synchrony Discount Tire Card - $25k | | Wells Fargo Autograph - $25k
837 INQ:
836 INQ:
825 INQ:

TCL: $571.05k CCs:23 AAoA: 6yr 1mo Util: ~1% Derog: 0

Mortgage: $215.1k Sonata Lease: $1.3k Palisade: $23.8k
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which card should I apply for next?

Honestly it doesn't look like you need another card, you don't maintain a balance and don't travel so searching for lower interest or travel rewards isn't really needed.  Your AMEX BC has good rewards for groceries, you could add a AMEX ED Preffered for better returns on groceries.  You could join Penfed and go after one of their cards for low interest and to get your foot in the door of an excellent credit union for future needs like car loans.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with @working....
focus on letting them age and getting CLI's. A good rule of thumb... and it took me and a lot of others a long time to let this set in....
if you don't know what card you should apply for next... you shouldn't apply for a card.
Only apply for cards you not only want but have a purpose for. It doesn't have to be purpose as in "I will use this card for groceries or gas" but some goal. Maybe xyz card is known for high limits and you need help with Utilization (which you personally dont) or maybe this other card is good to get your foot in with a place (like what @working said about Penfed)

I spent all of 2015 getting tons of cards and spend most of 2017 so far closing and combining cards. Once you get your fico scores as high as they will likely go pending more time.... then you realize you don't need so many cards. Better to have 5 cards with high limits and low rates than 20 with smaller limits.

All that being said-cuz I hate it when people don't answer the original question. We need more info. What do you want in a card? What rewards? Cash or travel? Any categories missing? US Bank Cash+ and Huntington Voice Rewards both offer cards that you can pick your categories every quarter so for instance you can pick cell phone bills on USB or Wal Mart purchases or Charity donations, etc.... those would maybe be the only thing you could add you don't have already. Chase AARP or Syncb Marvel both offer decent cash back on restaurants too... but I would still go with USB Cash + since you can pick 3 categories. 2@5% and 1@2%.

Probably said more than you wanted to hear. You look
Like you have done well with your building... so congrats and keep up the good work.
Message 3 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Looks like your Easter basket is diverse, only thing missing is a Discover and perhaps a Penfed/ Navy Fed card to round out the diversification.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was going to ask you if you are still under 5/24, but then I saw you are not interested in travel rewards. If you were, and are under 5/24, I was going to recommend the CSP/CSR. Works great with your Freedom. However, if you will never travel with it, they are not worth the AF.

In terms of strictly cashback cards, you could try for the Citi DC for a bit more "on everything" cash back than the QS. Even better, you could try for the PenFed Cash Rewards card for 2% back and getting in with a great credit union.

Honestly, most of the really enticing cards out there with great sign up bonuses and rewards are travel cards.

Message 5 of 12
Cashbackjunky
Established Contributor

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

I have to agree with @Djgrolyos that since I don't know what card I want, I shouldn't get one... I just had that itchy app finger 😂

For the most part, I don't think I NEED another card, except if there was something that gets rewards for dining out or entertainment (such as movies, etc.).

Or maybe I can PC one of my cards... I was thinking about PCing my BofA, because I already get better or comparable rewards with my BCP. I just don't know what to PC to.... I REALLY want to PC my Wells Fargo card, but they don't PC, you have to close the account and re-apply for a new one (definitely don't want to do that because it's my oldest account).
The CL on my Wells card is laughable in comparison to my others and I don't want the HP to get an increase, last time I did that it went from $1,500 to $1,900.... Not worth it IMHO.

Any and all input is welcome.

Cheers!
AmEx Blue Cash Preferred - $20k | | AmEx Cash Magnet - $20k | | Apple Card - $29k | | BofA Customized Cash - $96k | | BofA Customized Cash - $25k | | BofA Unlimited Cash - $30k | | CapOne Quicksilver - $16.25k | | CapOne Venture - $30k | | Chase Amazon - $26.7k | | Chase Freedom Unlimited - $24k | | Chase Freedom - $16k | | Chase Freedom Flex - $41k | | Citi Custom Cash - $17.9k | | Citi Rewards+ - $15.4k | | Discover It Cash Back - $18k | | Discover It Cash Back - $21.3k | |Discover It Travel - $14.5k | | Elan Max Cash Preferred- $15k | | PayPal Cashback Mastercard - $20k | | PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature - $12.5k | | PenFed Power Cash - $12.5k | | Synchrony Discount Tire Card - $25k | | Wells Fargo Autograph - $25k
837 INQ:
836 INQ:
825 INQ:

TCL: $571.05k CCs:23 AAoA: 6yr 1mo Util: ~1% Derog: 0

Mortgage: $215.1k Sonata Lease: $1.3k Palisade: $23.8k
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Marvel gives dining and entertainnemt CB if you are brave enough to poke the synchrony bear.

Other than that, I second a 2% card being your next step.

@Cashbackjunky wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the replies!

@I have to agree with @Anonymous that since I don't know what card I want, I shouldn't get one... I just had that itchy app finger 😂

For the most part, I don't think I NEED another card, except if there was something that gets rewards for dining out or entertainment (such as movies, etc.).

Or maybe I can PC one of my cards... I was thinking about PCing my BofA, because I already get better or comparable rewards with my BCP. I just don't know what to PC to.... I REALLY want to PC my Wells Fargo card, but they don't PC, you have to close the account and re-apply for a new one (definitely don't want to do that because it's my oldest account).
The CL on my Wells card is laughable in comparison to my others and I don't want the HP to get an increase, last time I did that it went from $1,500 to $1,900.... Not worth it IMHO.

Any and all input is welcome.

Cheers!

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

The first year with Discover IT cashback 5% categories +cash back match is pretty sweet....

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

What I did not see was 2%.  Citi Double Cash.  We use it alot.   Capital 1 has a new dinner card.  I can't recall the program as our Amex BCP has the 10%  dinner for 6 months promo and we don't eat out that much. DW fries every thing in Bear Grease so much matter than any  one else. 

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm waiting on my DC card to arrive. I'm sure I'll love it, but can't give a opinion yet!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.