cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card should I choose? CSP or ??

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Which card should I choose? CSP or ??

@Lexie

You're in CA, right?  Have you looked into the JCB Murakai at 3%?  It runs on the Discover network.

Message 41 of 58
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Open123

Yes, I'm in CA. No, I have not. 3% on everything?
Message 42 of 58
enharu
Super Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
@Open123

Murakai is a Japanese supermarket. They have locations in downtown LA, west LA (sawtelle area) and Torrance. Probably some other places as well.

This is the card. https://www.jcbusa.com/for_consumers/speciality-cards/marukai-premium-jcb-card/

Rewards are:

Earn up to 3% Cash Back Points on all purchases including spending at Marukai.
No limit on how much you can earn.

• Earn up to 1% Cash Back Points on first $1,000 spent yearly
  • Earn up to 2% Cash Back Points on next $2,000 spent yearly
  • Earn up to 3% Cash Back Points on over $3,000 spent yearly

They work in a similar fashion as costco. You need membership ($20 annually) to shop there or you can get one-time passes for $1.

Anyhow, the Murakai card requires membership, so it's basically $20 a year. If you happen to be interested in Asian groceries then that'll be nice to have too.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 43 of 58
rustystick
New Contributor

• Earn up to 1% Cash Back Points on first $1,000 spent yearly
  • Earn up to 2% Cash Back Points on next $2,000 spent yearly
  • Earn up to 3% Cash Back Points on over $3,000 spent yearly

jcb marukai

CSP 10k 0 Discover It 7.8k AmazonVisa 3k Freedom 1500 US Bank Cash Rewards 1500 BofA123 3300 SallieMae 3800
Message 44 of 58
Open123
Super Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
@Open123

Yes, on every purchase, but only where Discover is accepted.  Of course, you can also use at places that accept JCB.

There's a $20 fee to join Murakai, but there's an added $15 bonus per $1,000 spent, for a maximum of $50 bonus after spending $5K.  In other words, if you spend at least $3K, the bonus more than makes up for the token annual fee, thereby leaving you a pure unlimited 3% cashback card.  At the very least, I'd use it to pay personal taxes for the 1% spread.

You could use it at Murakai, but there's no reason to, unless you don't have the BCP.

Message 45 of 58
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Open123 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:
@Open123

Yes, on every purchase, but only where Discover is accepted.  Of course, you can also use at places that accept JCB.

There's a $20 fee to join Murakai, but there's an added $15 bonus per $1,000 spent, for a maximum of $50 bonus after spending $5K.  In other words, if you spend at least $3K, the bonus more than makes up for the token annual fee, thereby leaving you a pure unlimited 3% cashback card.  At the very least, I'd use it to pay personal taxes for the 1% spread.

You could use it at Murakai, but there's no reason to, unless you don't have the BCP.

This is sort of what I was thinking of doing, and had somewhat forgotten about that card in my interminable slog to get mortgaged.  Thank you for the reminder.

The data in the scores databases is pretty absurdly out of date; may have to just take a flier on it whenever I come up for air, if it were 2008 standards, when my utilization is normal I could almost qualify for it now.

        
Message 46 of 58
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

CSP for the bonus points and resturant, you don't travel enough to really benefit from the rest of its benefits.

If you use Hilton more than once a year, the AMEX Hilton Surpass is avesome if you can justify its $75 AF but 60,000 in bonus points good enough for 2 nights at a class 3 hotel which would normally cost about $120 a night or more also has 12pts/$ on hilton stays, 6 pts/$ on restuant and gas,  3 pts/$ on everything else.  I love the gold status for the first year, Traveling a lot been at the double tree by hilton about 25 nights in the last two months, currently racked up 145,000 pts and lots of upgrades which would of cost me $50 or so per night.  If you don't don't like the AF or can't justify it citi has a signature hhonors card with no AF, if you don't qualify you can get the gold version no AF, and after $1k in spend they give you 40k in pts and silver status as long as you hold the card.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 47 of 58
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Maybe I'll hold off until Sept. The pre-approval isn't going anywhere and my initial glee is waning.
Message 48 of 58
ElCamino
Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Maybe I'll hold off until Sept. The pre-approval isn't going anywhere and my initial glee is waning.

Back to the garden! Smiley Very Happy

Amex BCE: $16.5k, Discover It: $5k, Chase Freedom Visa: $10k, Fidelity Amex: $7.5k, PenFed Cash Rewards Visa: $3.5k, CapOne Union Plus MC: $4.5k, Barclays Upromise MC: $5k, BoA Cash Rewards 123 MC: $1.5k
Message 49 of 58
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 50 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.