Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why SO MANY Credit Cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why SO MANY Credit Cards?

Why is this question repeatedly asked SO many times?
Kidding...not really. Smiley Tongue Usually I'll list specific reasons but from this point on I like Sharingans simple answer so ditto this >>>> The simple answer is because I can, and because it's not anyone else's problem to deal with. Smiley Very Happy
Message 21 of 75
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Why is this question repeatedly asked SO many times?
Kidding...not really. Smiley Tongue Usually I'll list specific reasons but from this point on I like Sharingans simple answer so ditto this >>>> The simple answer is because I can, and because it's not anyone else's problem to deal with. Smiley Very Happy

Yes, it is asked a lot. Yes, because I can. To extend another poster's comment, who am I to turn down a $400 sign up bonus?

Also, having good credit, getting sign up bonuses, allows you to afford travel that otherwise might not be affordable. And that leads to life experiences you might not otherwise have. You can't take any of this with you, so you've got to experience it while you are here.

Good credit and the marketing of credit cards can be combined into a tool to afford experiences.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 22 of 75
elim
Senior Contributor

in 8 words or less...  To build a thick and robust credit file.

Message 23 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whoa, thanks for all of the responses! Btw I wasn't asking the question in a derogatory way, I really was just curious as to why, and what benefit there was to having so many credit cards. Thanks again guys! ^_^ I was also asking because I wanted to apply for certain credit cards but was afraid of all of the inquiries. But after looking it up I saw that it wasn't that big of a deal as long as you're responsible with your money (which I am), so I'm proud to say that in addition to the 2 credit cards I mentioned yesterday, I got approved for the Discover It card, for a CL of $9000! This pretty much completes the cards I wanted, I'm just missing a card from Citibank, but I think I'm ok with these. I started my credit early so I'm still pretty young and I don't want to have to apply for cards later on and mess up my AAoA, so I just wanted to get them out of the way now and that way if I wanted to upgrade or PC, I'd already have an account with the bank and I can do the upgrade without disturbing my AAoA or even without getting a HP. Thank you!

Message 24 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on getting Discover! 💃💃💃💃
Message 25 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

Haha thanks Heavenly!

Message 26 of 75
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I got approved for the Discover It card, for a CL of $9000!

so I just wanted to get them out of the way now and that way if I wanted to upgrade or PC, I'd already have an account with the bank and I can do the upgrade without disturbing my AAoA or even without getting a HP.

Congratulations on getting Discover, that's a nice limit to start.

You are certainly free to try to PC to different cards within a bank, but that is often only a limited option, and you won't get a sign up bonus that may be offered for the next card. You only get the sign up bonus for the new app. AAoA is interesting while starting out, but after a few years isn't a significant factor in the decision whether to app or not. Once you have a few years with a few cards, the AAoA is much less volatile.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 27 of 75
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

When you have a lot of credit cards, adding another won't significantly affect your AAoA, so your credit is in effect 'stronger' because your scores no longer fluxuate as much. Similarly when you have large credit limits on your cards, letting a large expenditure report on your credit report (either accidentally, or because you no longer wish to micromanage your credit reports) that won't impact your % usage of that card very much, nor your % usage of your total credit. So once again, your credit scores are stronger.

Having lots of credit cards means that every month you are adding lots of (hopefully positive) credit history to your credit reports, which is another positive. Or if you have some bad data on your reports, you are quickly diluting it with large amounts of recent, positive data.

When a credit card is shut down temporarily due to the credit card company suspecting a fraudulent transaction, its good to have backups. When cards, sometimes multiple card, are shutdown permanently by the credit card company due to adverse action, having lots of cards (diversity of lenders) can save you.

Personally, I like to optimize my cash back by having lots of cards that each give 5% cash back in spending categories that I use. And I like to have cards that also give random cash back deals, as occasionally those deals are on things I plan to spend money on anyways...

And of course, being able to pick up the occasional new card for a large sign up bonus is nice.

With some lenders, its much easier to obtain multiple cards and combine credit limits later, rather than requesting a CLI. And if there are sign up bonuses on those new cards, so much the better.

So, there are lots of ways to make money when you have lots of credit cards. And you can create a very strong and stable credit report with lots of credit cards. The only negative is if you are the type of person that cannot control their spending. IE, if you need a replacement car but cannot afford one right now, do you justify spending what you dont have by saying "well, I know i'm gonna buy a car eventually..", and then eventually you end up unable to pay off your credit cards? If you are honest with yourself, and that is you, then don't get a lot of credit cards each with large limits. However, if you would never spend money you don't have, if you have a large emergency fund and constantly add to that fund, then having lots of cards and lots of credit can be a great tool that you can safely use.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 28 of 75
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

You may want to take a look at this parallel discussion on Cancel Credit Cards.

Message 29 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

Because...when I was 19 I had no credit and wanted buy a used car and needed a loan, I got such a high rate I wanted to find out why. Lo and behold I found out how to raise my score faaaasst. I am 23 now with 7 cards.. a score of ~750s and a mortgage on a townhome, new car, flew to europe recently (for free)

I dont think I could've done that just by saving.

Message 30 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.