Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Favorite daily driver card

tag
Patp05
Established Member

Your Favorite daily driver card

Hello all!

Im curious what everyones favorite daily driver card is. Id like one that is known for higher starting limits and gives travel perks etc. Really help us take trips a little cheaper as we will be on a budget the next couple years as we get our finances in order.

In addition to a new daily driver card Id also like to get a good balance transfer card to move some debt from an existing NFCU card to pay off quicker with no interest. Is it bad to get two cards at once.

Also I hope it isnt bad to do all these prequalifies as I have done 3 now lol Ive heard it can cause a split file but can be remedied easily by making sure all addresses are your current on file. 

Ive done the pre qualify on following sites and this is what came up for me

Navy Federal:

All cards but I think it does that for everyone. I currently have a good relationship with this with two seperate products and checking (I let mother use it , I bank with WF). 

Amex:

Green Card

Hilton honors surpass

Delta skymiles Platinum

Delta Sky miles Gold

Amex Everyday

Citi: 

CITI CUSTOM CASHSM CARD

CITI DIAMOND PREFERRED CARD

CITI DOUBLE CASH CARD

CITI SIMPLICITY CARD

Cap One: 

Savor

Savor one

Quicksilver

Venture

Venture one

Apple:

Approved for 11k as they tell you right away. 

20 REPLIES 20
Jeffster1
Valued Contributor

Re: Your Favorite daily driver card

My daily go-to cards are:

Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards (I'm Platinum Honors with them so I get a nice bonus on all rewards)

AMEX Blue Cash Everyday 

FICO 8 (3/1/24) EX 805 EQ 824 TU 844
FICO 9 (2/17/24) EX 821 EQ 778TU 850
I practice AZEO - NEVER above 1% utilization across all cards.

Current lineup as of 9/23
American Express Gold | American Express Blue Cash Everyday 11K | American Express Blue Cash Preferred 10K I American Express Marriott Bonvoy Bevy 5K I American Express Hilton Honors Surpass 3K I Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa 20K | Kinecta MyPerks Rewards MC 35K | TD Bank Double Up Visa 4K | USBank Platinum Visa 5K | BMO Harris Cash Back MasterCard 12K | Capital One SavorOne MC 3K | Capital One Walmart MC 2K | NFCU Amex 15K | NFCU CashRewards Visa 15K I Citi Best Buy Visa 10K I Macy’s Amex 4K I Bread Financial American Express 8K l AAA Daily Advantage Visa Signature 6K I Wells Fargo BILT World Elite MC 30K I BCU Cash Rewards Visa 8K I Chevron Techron Advantage Visa 2.5K I JCPenney Mastercard $6K I UCLA Wescom CU Rewards Visa 7K I
Message 2 of 21
PNWRambler
Frequent Contributor

I have a split approach for rewards on my daily drivers, and some of them are revolving categories.

Chase Sapphire Preferred for Restaurants 2% 
AmEx Blue Cash for Gas & Grocery 3%
Discover & Chase Freedom (revolving 5%)

Mercury World Elite & Capital One Venture for 2% everything else (although this CapOne doesn't let you do statement credits at a 1:1 ratio)

If I had to choose just one it would be AmEx Blue Cash or the Mercury World Elite.

Message 3 of 21
Rogue46
Established Contributor

For small purchases I'd go with my Citi Rewards card for the +10 roundup feature, Bigger purchases like groceries and dining go to my Amex gold because I'm all about collecting the MR points!

Message 4 of 21
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

This darn SYW card has completely disturbed the way I do cash back business, lol.  Because of the monthly 'Spend $1000, get a $40 Statement Credit', I find myself using the SYW for 1% (when I could get 3% with AOD), for 3% (grocery and dining when I could get 5%), and less common but for 5% (gas when I could get 10% from Chase Amazon) just to reach the $1000 spend.  Even if I throw out the rewards, it's a 4% flat CB card at $1000 spend.   

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 5 of 21
galahad15
Valued Contributor

I'd say that if I had to narrow it down to just one daily driver, it would most likely be my AOD FCU VS, since it has a 3% uncapped cashback rewards rate on all purchases  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 21
acreditdummy123
Regular Contributor

it should be the amex biz cashback one but nope. its FNBO biz

❤️ Am a peaceful, positive person. Credit scores: Amazing and higher than most. AAoA: Superb. No lates. No delinquencies.

The past is the past. I'm a completely new person now as of 3/6/23
Message 7 of 21
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

I do a rotation, i try to use my 2 pct cb cards to 10 - 20 pct of limit and jump to another card and i always use savor and the red card for groceries

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 8 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

What exactly is a daily driver?   The card you use most?   Or the default card if you don't have a better one for a particular spend?

For some, they may be the same, but when you have enough category cards for your particuar spend (and if that spend is varied enough among categories!) the default card might be rarely used.

In my case, until the end of the year it's going to be USAlliance, covering both 3% default and 6% supermarket, but once in nerfs, I need a different default

Message 9 of 21
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

This is always a good question. I'll never be a one card type of person. I've faced adverse action in the past, so I worry about that happening again. I refuse to have just a couple of cards.

Anyway, I think my daily driver card setup would be AmEx Platinum for travel purchases/benefits, AmEx Gold for dining and groceries, then AmEx Blue Business Plus for anything non category. AmEx is my favorite issuer; even though they have their own quirks. This covers nearly every base for me, except Costco and some other niche stuff. I like MR points for my travels. They transfer almost anywhere and are more valuable than cash back. 
and now I have a setup where I earn a minimum of 2 points per dollar, but most of my spend gets 4X and 5X per dollar.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.