Did you mean: 

buying something more than my CL

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: buying something more than my CL

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Call them and tell them you want to buy a phone that's higher than your CL and you need a CLI or you're gonna have to use another card, see if they'll work with you.

Otherwise I'm pretty sure you can usually get a phone on layaway so they add a small cost to your monthly plan instead.

Already called them twice. they said my AAoA is too low they want it at least 1-3 years. mine at 2 months

just got this card 2 weeks ago and have managed to put 1.2K on it so far. I want to spend more but payment processing takes 3-4 days which forces me to use other cards

Count yourself lucky to get the card. I was almost 1 year AAoA when I picked it up and that required recon.

Message 21 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kforce wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Creditaddickt's suggestion of prepaying your card so that you have a negative balance is probably the easiest/best way to do what you want to do and it also will very much show that you utilize the card enough that you need a CLI. This way you don't even have to deal with the issuer it's all automatic and by prepaying you're essentially artificially increasing your limit.

just called then and tried that and they said i cant do that.

I might try spending 100-200$ in the mall then return stuff

What did they mean that you cannot do?  There are at least two things it could mean.

a) You cannot have a negative balance.   This may be true by paying through the site, but you can certainly push from your bank and create a negative balance. (+1,  They were referring to paying extra from the Barclays site, you can push to them, I had a Barclays card and pushed all the time.  Have pushed an extra 1000 more than once for a similar reason ~not the Barclays card ~)

b) even with a negative balance, your available balance is your credit limit.   Some cards are like this and then you won't be able to charge over the limit. (+1,   I have two cards that give a higher limit based on overpayment to the card that I know, have not tried all of them.  I would push from bill pay a small amount that is less than your normal spend and check the online info to see if it increases your credit limit.  If it works you can push 150 or so and then after it post go buy the phone)

Be careful with some of the other methods proposed: generally you don't get full credit card protections unless the entire charge is placed on a card, so paying partly with cash, or splitting across two cards, could be bad if something goes wrong with the phone.

(+1)

oh wow it worked !!!!

Untitled.png

tried 600 then it said payment cant exceed 500. so tried 499$ 

already have 400$ payment pending 

so i should have 900-1000 in 2 days. hopefully it doesn't get canceled Smiley LOL

Message 22 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

A couple ways (naturally, I know all about this, lol)...

1.  Use your card plus another payment method (i.e. cash, debit card, another CC) to buy the phone.

2.  Buy a $200 gift card with your CC, pay off the card, wait for it to post, then buy the phone using the gift card + the CC.

Prepaying the card so it has a credit balance might work, but many cards still don't let you charge more than the credit line, since pending charges come out of the available credit line, not any credit balance.  A combination of prepaying plus the gift card method above could work, but you'll have to make sure the gift card purchase posts so it is applied to the credit balance instead of the limit, so you'll have enough to put the rest of the phone purchase on the card.

Message 23 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

A couple ways (naturally, I know all about this, lol)...

1.  Use your card plus another payment method (i.e. cash, debit card, another CC) to buy the phone.

2.  Buy a $200 gift card with your CC, pay off the card, wait for it to post, then buy the phone using the gift card + the CC.

This. I've seen others use this method since insurance generally allows gift card use whereas it prohibits use of another card. (Of course, check your local benefits guide.)

Message 24 of 43
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Call Barclay. At the least you should be able to make a $100 payment to your card giving you a negative balance. Then you'll be able to make the purchase.

I am not sure about Barclays but most issuers won't let you create a credit balance by overpayment or they at least limit it to say 10% of your CL.  The way around that is to push a payment from your bank instead of having the issuer pull the payment. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 25 of 43
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

2 months aaoa? Or 2 months old cc, that coupled with $500 limit is the issue. Op give it time, your credit will grow. Id just use a different card. Why complicate your life. Good luck thoughSmiley Happy
Message 26 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Call them up. I got a Citi card with a $1500 limit.  As soon is it came in the mail I asked for a CLI to $2000 as I needed to charge something of that amount and they raised it to that.  A week later they raised it to 5k.  Amex lets you check if they will approve a charge over your limit online.  A $600 charge might even go through on a $500 limit but you would have to pay it down to the limit on your next cycle. 

Message 27 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kforce wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Creditaddickt's suggestion of prepaying your card so that you have a negative balance is probably the easiest/best way to do what you want to do and it also will very much show that you utilize the card enough that you need a CLI. This way you don't even have to deal with the issuer it's all automatic and by prepaying you're essentially artificially increasing your limit.

What did they mean that you cannot do?  There are at least two things it could mean.

a) You cannot have a negative balance.   This may be true by paying through the site, but you can certainly push from your bank and create a negative balance. (+1,  They were referring to paying extra from the Barclays site, you can push to them, I had a Barclays card and pushed all the time.  Have pushed an extra 1000 more than once for a similar reason ~not the Barclays card ~)

b) even with a negative balance, your available balance is your credit limit.   Some cards are like this and then you won't be able to charge over the limit. (+1,   I have two cards that give a higher limit based on overpayment to the card that I know, have not tried all of them.  I would push from bill pay a small amount that is less than your normal spend and check the online info to see if it increases your credit limit.  If it works you can push 150 or so and then after it post go buy the phone)

Be careful with some of the other methods proposed: generally you don't get full credit card protections unless the entire charge is placed on a card, so paying partly with cash, or splitting across two cards, could be bad if something goes wrong with the phone.

(+1)

oh didnt know i can push a payment from my bank.

I have done the following....

- scheduled a payment on Barclays site for tomorrow for 499$

-scheduled a bill to be paid from my bank ( Schwab) to Uber visa card to be sent tomorrow 

hopefully one of these methods will work

I have tried talking to CS they made it very clear it's not allowed to prepay and the CS told me I should wait 1-3 years before requesting a CLI......

if somehow none of these work, I will use my Amex Smiley Happy

Message 28 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Kforce wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

(+1)

-scheduled a bill to be paid from my bank ( Schwab) to Uber visa card to be sent tomorrow 

I have tried talking to CS they made it very clear it's not allowed to prepay and the CS told me I should wait 1-3 years before requesting a CLI......

It should work I pay my Uber visa using Chase's bill pay. It may not show up on you account until the night your bank says that payment will be recieved on.

Message 29 of 43
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It should work as far as getting money to Barclays,  however they might be one of the issuers that do not raise your credit limit from the overpayment.  Some do and others don't.  US-Bank's Cash Plus does and both my FNBO Cards don't. Can't remember about the Sallie Mae.

I guess you will find out soon!

I also like gift card idea.

Message 30 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.