Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disgusted with discover!!! help...

tag
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: disgusted with discover!!! help...

Sorry to hear of your disgust with Discover, but there is obviously something on your reports that is holding back. Don't mean to sound disrespectful but you are more than likely the problem and not Discover.

For Discover to give you a $500 SL, you were on shaky ground to begin with, whatever caused them to be stingy at first, still sounds like it's a problem to them. You cannot compare your BofA experience and expect Discover to replicate their actions, we're talking two different banks with different underwriting standards. Are you using the card heavily? Honestly Discover likes to be your only card, so if your not using them they won't give you much love.

The other thing to consider is thier reasons for CLI denials. If they give you a reason, work on it, take a good look at your reports and work on any blemishes. Finally, if Discocer causes you too much heartache, then simply close it and move along. Discover is a great card, but there are other great cards and banks that may suit you and your needs better, life's too short to be angry. Good Luck.
Message 11 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Both my friend and I failed to get CLI after hitting the button last week. I didn't care much because because my CL is decent, but she is kind of in your situation, as she was originally approved only for $500. She's gotten two auto increases in the first few months holding the card, albeit tiny and her limit is still under $1000. Since it was over half a year after the last auto increase and she's been using the card and PIF every month, I thought  she'd definitely get an increase after hitting the button. Guess what, she didn't. Mind you, both of us have very good credit, no negatives, her low limit was because she had no credit at the time. In the meantime she's gotten Freedom with a very good CL, one more reason that made me believe Discover would approve her CLI, but that didn't matter either apparently. So I don't know why some people get CLI like candy from Discover, but there are others who are probably in a better sittuation than you credit-wise, like us for example, and still get no luv from them.

Message 12 of 49
bk510
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@dk2003 wrote:
I've had my card for a nearly a year (april). I've requested an increase twice (sl 500) because I've seen all of the luv that everybody else has raved about. Well that has not been the vm case for me! I received a BOA 99/500 around the same time and since then, that card has auto unsecured, I've received my deposit and there was an auto cli 2000. Discover, on the other hand, has been awful.
The relationship started out bad. When I received the card I tried to recon and after several back and forth emails I was told that if I replied any more on that matter that the email would go unanswered... YES, THEY ACTUALLY TOLD ME THAT!!!! and here we are a year later and still nothing... Should I write the EO? Help!!!!

I"ve noticed that the big CLI's only go to people with high CLI's (740+) on TU.

So far they've been giving me $300 CLI's at irregular intervals.

I have gotton 3 auto CLI's since opening 5/2014......200, 200, and 1K few months ago.(SL 1.6K)

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 13 of 49
Chris679
Established Contributor

Close the account, problem solved. 

Message 14 of 49
jacetx
Valued Contributor

@dk2003 wrote:
I've had my card for a nearly a year (april). I've requested an increase twice (sl 500) because I've seen all of the luv that everybody else has raved about. Well that has not been the vm case for me! I received a BOA 99/500 around the same time and since then, that card has auto unsecured, I've received my deposit and there was an auto cli 2000. Discover, on the other hand, has been awful.
The relationship started out bad. When I received the card I tried to recon and after several back and forth emails I was told that if I replied any more on that matter that the email would go unanswered... YES, THEY ACTUALLY TOLD ME THAT!!!! and here we are a year later and still nothing... Should I write the EO? Help!!!!

Sorry that you had that experience, but as others have responded there must be something on your reports that is spooking them. When I was approved for my Discover card I got a $500 SL as well, I had a BK on my file and a collection that should not have been there. Close to the 1 year mark they increased my CL to $800 and a couple months after that $1250, and $2300 after that. Last increase I got was back in January, they doubled my CL to $4800.  

Message 15 of 49
red259
Super Contributor

If you aren't happy with Discover then close the account or don't use the card. You are not entitled to a CLI. Many have gotten CLIs from discover so that tells me the issue is your profile not them. If you really want a CLI then use the card and PIF and make sure the rest of yiour credit profile is in order. Just because one lender gives you a CLI doesnt mean all lenders are obligated to do the same. If you get declined for a CI I believe they send you a letter saying why, 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 16 of 49
hiro905
Valued Member

@red259 wrote:

If you aren't happy with Discover then close the account or don't use the card. You are not entitled to a CLI. Many have gotten CLIs from discover so that tells me the issue is your profile not them. If you really want a CLI then use the card and PIF and make sure the rest of yiour credit profile is in order. Just because one lender gives you a CLI doesnt mean all lenders are obligated to do the same. If you get declined for a CI I believe they send you a letter saying why, 

Completely agree.  Just because other people are getting CLI does not mean you are entitled to one.  

Message 17 of 49
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@bk510 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@dk2003 wrote:

I"ve noticed that the big CLI's only go to people with high CLI's (740+) on TU.

So far they've been giving me $300 CLI's at irregular intervals.

I have gotton 3 auto CLI's since opening 5/2014......200, 200, and 1K few months ago.(SL 1.6K)

LOL. I think you're the first person I've heard of who got CLI's even lower than mine Smiley Happy But yours were auto CLI's... I haven't gotten a single one of those Smiley Happy I had to ask nicely for each of mine Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 18 of 49
dk2003
Regular Contributor

Oh my... I am ALMOST overwhelmed by the responses... perhaps I was not clear here.

I am completely aware that Discover is not obligated to do anything. There was a time that I wasn't able to get any cards, not because I had bad credit but because I had none. I have some 45k in available credit and THIS card just happens to be my lowest. With BOA, I had a previous relationship with them that ended badly, and I was a part of the class action law suit.

My profile.....
I generally carry action balance, and either PIF or pay half of it and then the other half before the next statement. As of late that has not been the case, I've carried a balance on all cards and will have them all paid within 2 months.
I did have several derogs, on EQ, that have since all been deleted. In fact, I didn't even know what they were and disputed several times. As of a few days ago, EQ is clean.

Oldest line 10 years 

As far as increase upon opening... The information in THIS post is incorrect. My mom received an increase as soon as her card was activated Smiley Happy

Unfortunately, my experience has not been all bubbles and flowers as many others have been, namely the ones that regularly receive increases. There has been minimal use on the card utility recently (2 months) so perhaps things will change. If not, I have no reason to close the card other than the low limit. It will just become one that is used just to keep them from closing it! Thanks for the input

Message 19 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

dk, You do not need to apologize. People seem to get a little snippy in their responses to these sorts of questions. It is very easy to forget that most of us have been in similar situations at some point in our journey. It is also easy to forget that many of the regular contributors on this board have used this forum to blow off some steam when frustrated by credit issues.We should be more understanding when others do the same!

You absolutely do not need to close the account down, unless you are simply tired of dealing with it.

Now, it has long been noted on here that Discover's SL and CLI behavior is harder to predict than most. It has also long been noted that there seems to be a different response to certain customers (i.e. those given a $500 SL). Many have reported that it is like pulling teeth to move from this initial limit. Still, time and patience will win the day. So don't get discouraged...just stay the course!

Message 20 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.