Anonymous
Not applicable

failing

so now i have

a) Discover $1k limit; Zero Bal.

b) Kohls $400 limit' zero Bal

c) Cap1 $2500 limit ; zero bal

d) PayPal Xtra Mc $4000 limit; $44 balance

e) Slate $1300 limit; just approved zero balance.

f) Cap1 AutoFinance: $14635 balance.

No gas cards, furniture store cards or comenity cards, walmarts/sams club costco or Bj's

With aug 2020 as falling off my student loan chargeoff, how many and what other cards are good enough for upto august 2020. any suggestions?

AMEX. BOA, Chase Barclays Citi i have tried but only have denials.. Maybe something for after aug 2020.

i feel i have failed at getting approved for No Balance Transfer fee and Cards with high limits? so i must admit i m running out of luck except GARDENING.

Profile now makes for 5 revolvers four of them less than three months old and one installment loan? debating if i need more revolvers now or should garden.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: failing

It's not really clear here what your goal(s) are.

What cards you may or may not be interested in are strongly influenced by what you spend money on.  Without knowing that, it's impossible to suggest anything or tell you if a certain card would be a favorable addition to your wallet.

It's also important to consider "need" verses "want."  IMO, with the cards you have now you certainly don't need more.  Could another card or two bring you in another percentage point in rewards here and there?  Perhaps, but whether or not it's worth apping for a marginal rewards gain is really in the eye of the potential apper.

Message 2 of 21
AppHappyTog
Regular Contributor

With four of those revolvers less than 3 months old I’d say it’s time to hang out in the garden for awhile to let that positive history report and age those accounts for a bit.

Current Scores 4/18: EQ8 645/EQ9 686/TU 664/EX 682
Starting Scores 10/17: EQ 590 /TU 592/EX 560
AAoA: 3y6mo
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have 5 credit cards and an installment loan. That is enough to build a solid credit history with responsible use, payments, and time. 

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, one of the new accounts is Kohl's charge card.I believe it counts as a charge card not a revolving credit.

Then i joined for membership at

SDFCU

DCU

Alliant

Should i bother getting their credit cards ? 30 days from 4/2/2018 to use same Pull.

$2100/mo or $42k declared income annually is most significant reason why i have hesitation in apping for CU credit cards. Not enough income.

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Kohl's card is a revolver, as a balance can be carried on it.  Double check your credit report, but it should be coded as revolving credit, not a charge card.

Why are you considering getting more cards?  You listed out 3 CUs and asked if you should get their cards.  Why?  What would be the purpose and/or benefit over what you currently have?

Everyone has a fairly finite amount that they spend on CCs every month, mainly limited by income.  Say someone spends $1000/mo.  If they have 2 credit cards, that's $500/mo averaged.  At 5 cards, that's $200/mo on average per card.  10 cards?  $100/mo on average.  Of course, no one spends exactly the same on every card; there are cards that will go unused.  There's not much point in that.  I don't feel one should add cards just to add cards, but that's me.

Message 6 of 21
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Don't try to harvest fruit that isn't yet ripe.  No more cards or other loans for a while.  Work on the cards you have.  Pay on time.  Don't carry a balance over from one statement to the next.  Get your scores up and your history established.  The rest will follow.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 7 of 21
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

I'll also add to the drumbeat...  You need to garden.   With all of those accounts being so new,  that is likely what's holding you back (aside from the charge off) from approvals by the "good" banks.

Besides, you are carrying no balances on your cards, currently... Why do you need a card with a BT offer that you can't use?

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dalmuswrote:

I'll also add to the drumbeat...  You need to garden.   With all of those accounts being so new,  that is likely what's holding you back (aside from the charge off) from approvals by the "good" banks.

Besides, you are carrying no balances on your cards, currently... Why do you need a card with a BT offer that you can't use?

Because the OP wants to make a big fat purchase. 

DCU is not going to approve you, Alliant won't either with the charge off and low score.

Message 9 of 21
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

$2100/mo or $42k declared income annually is most significant reason why i have hesitation in apping for CU credit cards. Not enough income.

Dont let your declared income frighten you. I too have a modest income. I just adjust my CL goals. You can get 95% of the cards you want when your credit report has grown. Unfortunately, that takes time

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.