getting good mail offers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: getting good mail offers

@Anonymous wrote:

Did OP read the offer correctly? Smiley Very Happy

AF= $223 ????

Three?? Couldnt they just round up to $300?  = Two... Twenty.... aw screw it... Three Hundred!!! Smiley Very Happy

It's a steal!!!

Actually,  this card has got both an annual fee as well as a monthly fee. And the fee's are lower in the first year because its got a wonderful promo rate. I was over-simplifying it a lot by saying $223 AF... Maybe it really will look like a deal to somebody?

$79 annually

$96 for first year (introductory) ($8/month)

After that, $144 annually ($12/month)

$8 or 5% cash advance fee, whichever is greater

3% foreign currency fee

$39 late payment & return item penalty fees

after all the fees, you start with a comfortable $612 credit limit, but not the luxurious $700 they promised

Message 11 of 37
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@coldfusion wrote:

Why are you targeting both the Citi DC and the Paypal 2% cashback card?    They're largely redundant especially with a thin file.  You also already have what is effectively a 2% CB card in your Discover IT card through next June due to Cashback Match. 

BarclayUS is not particularly friendly to new profiles especially when it comes to their better cards.

I'm looking at a 2% card for when the discover matching ends. I think most people prefer the paypal card because no FTF and no min redemption. The reason I also wanted a citi card is because I heard that they frequently send out BT offers, and if one card was carrying a balance with a 0% offer I'd still have the other 2% card for purchases. Does that sound like a good plan?

We're in very similar boats! I'm also hoping to make my next card the Uber Visa and also only have a few cards at present. I'm thinking the Uber Visa for meals and travel, Blue Cash Preferred for groceries and gas and the PayPal Mastercard for 2% and I'll be good to garden for years. Also cruising on that first year of 2% for Discover here. Your plan is sound. Might want to come chill in the garden with some of us for a while before you HP your credit. 

AU

Message 12 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SEAlifer wrote:

We're in very similar boats! I'm also hoping to make my next card the Uber Visa and also only have a few cards at present. I'm thinking the Uber Visa for meals and travel, Blue Cash Preferred for groceries and gas and the PayPal Mastercard for 2% and I'll be good to garden for years. Also cruising on that first year of 2% for Discover here. Your plan is sound. Might want to come chill in the garden with some of us for a while before you HP your credit. 

here's what i learned, barclays wants about a year of history, earliest approvals I've seen are for 9mo history. They will auto-deny you for having too many pulls, but call recon and they'll allow an infinite number of pulls to approve you. Their auto approved credit limits are low, and recon can give you lots more, but they might make you jump through hoops for that like asking for paystubs. They never will let you lower your APR, it's stuck at whatever you sign up at. CLI's are always a hard pull.

My strategy so far is to add a new card every 3 months or so, I'd like to grab 6 or 8 cards before I hit the garden, i'll slow down on adding cards if i start getting denials.

Message 13 of 37
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SEAlifer wrote:

here's what i learned, barclays wants about a year of history, earliest approvals I've seen are for 9mo history. They will auto-deny you for having too many pulls, but call recon and they'll allow an infinite number of pulls to approve you. Their auto approved credit limits are low, and recon can give you lots more, but they might make you jump through hoops for that like asking for paystubs. They never will let you lower your APR, it's stuck at whatever you sign up at. CLI's are always a hard pull.

My strategy so far is to add a new card every 3 months or so, I'd like to grab 6 or 8 cards before I hit the garden, i'll slow down on adding cards if i start getting denials.

Cool. Let us know how it goes!

AU

Message 14 of 37
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@coldfusion wrote:  "Why are you targeting both the Citi DC and the Paypal 2% cashback card?    They're largely redundant..."

I'm looking at a 2% card for when the discover matching ends. I think most people prefer the paypal card because no FTF and no min redemption. The reason I also wanted a citi card is because I heard that they frequently send out BT offers, and if one card was carrying a balance with a 0% offer I'd still have the other 2% card for purchases. Does that sound like a good plan?

YMMV but I've never seen a lot of BT offers from CITI cards compared to Discover, Chase, BofA, and others.  I wouldn't get a CITI card specifically for that.  I've heard Navy FCU has frequent ones and they are much easier to get in with anyway with a thin file.  And much better customer service.  But if you do nothing else, that Discover card will probably give you some nice BT offers you can take advantage of once you finish the 2% first year match. 

Be careful with that Synchrony PayPal MC.  Some people love it and it has it's benefits.  Yes, there's no minimum payout, so that is good.  But some people have disliked it compared to other cards.  Do you travel internationally that often?  People talk about no FTFs but that gets blown out of proportion for most actual use.  You can always choose another card when you do travel, IF you do travel.  If you don't, who cares?   The biggest gripes I've heard about PayPal is there is no "app" to specifically manage the account on mobile, or independent website direct to Synchrony to manage the account, so everything has to be done through the PayPal account login.   And cashing out requires more steps because you have to redeem to PayPal, then transfer to your bank account or credit to statement.   Cumbersome is the word that comes to mind.  Synch also has much higher APRs on the PayPal card than other 2% cards.

There's really a lot of 2% options that are not talked about as much on these forums.  Not to get sidetracked on topic, but here is a summary list of cards you can look into that pay at least 2% cashback on everything.  Unfortunately, they all have their quirks (including the Citi DC and PP/MC) so read the details and reviews before you make a commitment.  Some may be geofenced and several require you to have an account (investment, PayPal, banking etc) to get the card or to get the 2% or higher payout.  You may also have to set up direct deposit to qualify for some 2% rates.  A few even have an AF to go with higher rewards or benefits.  But for some people, these can all be great alternatives to the mainline cards.

Citi Double Cash Visa

Fidelity Visa (Elan Financial Services)

Alliant Platinum Visa Signature

PayPal Cashback Mastercard

PenFed Power Cash

Navy FCU Flagship Rewards

State Dept FCU Premium Cash Back +

BBVA Rewards Card

Randolph-Brooks FCU Cashback Rewards Visa

Pennsylvania State Employees CU (PSECU) Founder's Cashback Visa

Signature FCU Visa Signature

Key Bank Cashback Card

FNBO Cash Rewards Visa

Bank of Missouri Ollo Optimum Mastercard (invitation-only)

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 15 of 37
zerofire
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

i'm after the barclays uber, USbank cash+, BofA cash rewards, citi dc, syncrony pp 2%, & FNBO ducks card.

i want the uber the most, anyone know if they're freindly to new or thin profiles?

First of all to get the better offers requires a better profile. The companies also generally are 3-4 months behind with the mail offers compared to your score. So any offer you get today is from your score 3-4 months ago. Since you listed AAoA as 4 months I am guessing 3-4 months ago your credit score was junk. Your best bet is to wait until they catch up or try a few pre-approvals online.

Some of your choice cards do not do any kind of offers like the FNBO Ducks Unlimited and PayPal 2% Cashback. Others use only offers on a app like the Uber so no mail. Generally with Bank of America, Citi, and US Bank you need to show that you want their product on top of having a good profile.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 16 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

One way to possibly stimulate some offers would be to go try from some pre-quals on the products you're interested in.  In doing that, those CCCs will have a record of your interest in their product(s) which may result in some targeted offers going your way in the future.

Wouldnt that be like chasing after the girl you blew off last weekend? Smiley LOL

Nope.  It would be like her chasing you after you blew her off last weekend.

Message 17 of 37
zerofire
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

One way to possibly stimulate some offers would be to go try from some pre-quals on the products you're interested in.  In doing that, those CCCs will have a record of your interest in their product(s) which may result in some targeted offers going your way in the future.

Wouldnt that be like chasing after the girl you blew off last weekend? Smiley LOL

Double nope. It would be like her chasing after you when she blew off badly(not the good kind) your advances last weekend.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 18 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@zerofire wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Double nope. It would be like her chasing after you when she blew off badly(not the good kind) your advances last weekend.

You wouldn't know that unless you knew the outcome(s) of the pre-qual(s). 

Message 19 of 37
SoCalifornia
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

☝🏽this. 

And go be a creeper. Lurk around on all and any websites of prospective lenders you'd have in mind. Sign up for any free products offered (i.e. Discover's Scorecard, etc.). Seriously, just frequent a website and watch mailers trickle in. Kind of like fishing. Now I wish I were fishing. 

Incidentally, Isn't it odd that you can;

Fish a fish

Drink a drink

But not food a food?

Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.