Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to use cards in Mexico?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

how to use cards in Mexico?

So im traveling to Mexico the first week of November. This is my first time over seas and im super excited. 

I just got my passport in the mail just in time Smiley Happy

1) I put a travel notification on my CSP. Should I use this car everywhere? Do they accept it at most shops and taxis?

2) Im only going for 5 days and my bank (navy federal) wont exchange money for me before I leave. Should i order pesos from my other bank before I leave ($40 for tips and taxie tips)? I hear there are fees at the resort atms...

3) Does Cozemel MX use chip and pin technology?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Cmikul
Regular Contributor

Re: how to use cards in Mexico?

1. Use your card sparingly off the resort.  Shops will take it no problem.  Taxi's are mostly cash.

2. Peso's won't help much and just confuse YOU.  Everyone takes $ and they actually prefer it most places.

3. Most likely no....most places have the old small swipe machines.

Have fun.....

Message 2 of 20
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Having grown up in Latin America, all I can say is, be extremely careful.

Message 3 of 20
victornewman
Contributor

@Cmikul wrote:

1. Use your card sparingly off the resort.  Shops will take it no problem.  Taxi's are mostly cash.

2. Peso's won't help much and just confuse YOU.  Everyone takes $ and they actually prefer it most places.

Have fun.....

This is great (and very accurate) advice.  I have vacationed a lot in Mexico and I use my credit card only at the resort and cash everywhere else.  I always bring a stack of small bills with me for tips, etc. 

Message 4 of 20
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

@Cmikul wrote:

Have fun.....

This ^ 

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

How much cash should I bring?

The resort is all inclusive? I dont think Ill spend too much? IDK

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's been a LONG time since I was in Cozumel - but many places just took American Cash - (actually they wanted it)    The best thing I did was get travelers checks and have them converted to cash down there.   I did use my VISA at a couple of places - restaurants off resort - and VISA did the conversion and there was a small fee for it.   Overall it was fine.  

Mind you - that was MANY years ago tho.

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

YES. Cash off the resort.  They lovenly take US Dollars.  Also, if you have the cojones, Smiley Wink barter some prices.

I visit the west side, Puerto Vallarta, so there's my basis.

"Uno cervasa por favor!"

Message 8 of 20
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

When I was in Mexico City last Thanksgiving I used my Arrival + at lots of places--mainly museums, restuarants, etc.

Used my USAA debit card to get cash out of ATM and didn't pay or barely paid ATM fee (I forget because USAA refunds fees).

I did not use dollars while I was there. For me, one of the fun parts of travelling is using foreign currency.

Que tengas un buen viaje!

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

1. They accept credit cards in many places, but taxis are only cash, I would recommend you change your cash into pesos because if you pay in american dollars you Will be paying more, because they took the us dollars bellow real value.

2. You can change your us dollars everywhere, there are many money exchange places Who pay the real value for us dollars

3. Contrary to what has been said mexico have many years with chip technology even before United State, so almost every stores have chip terminals

I'm from mexico and I have been there last month. cozumel is one of the safest City in mexico, but take care
I hope this help
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.