Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account flagged with negative information

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Account flagged with negative information

We have never missed a mortgage payment in 15 years, that is until last month. I received two alerts from Experian via email. One said my account was flagged from Provident Funding for being 30 days late. The other negative flag from Provident Funding said "Not more than 2 payments past due (2)."

Question: History shows only 1 late payment, which is the ONLY one we have missed. What does "Not more than 2 payments past due" even mean? Shouldn't it say "Not more than 1 payment past due"? Can I dispute it and have that alert removed? 

5 REPLIES 5
Trudy
Valued Contributor

Re: Account flagged with negative information

I don't believe the alert language has any impact on your score.  Unless it shows more than one 30 day in the payment history it shouldn't matter.  It may or may not work but I'd call the lender and plead your perfect history case and explain the hiccup that caused you to miss this one time and beg for it to be removed.  You may hear no but keep trying by every means possible.  If that is your only negative item on your report it may hurt you more than people with more negative items.  And may hurt for a while.

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes definitely try to Goodwill that off and keep trying until you’re successful, don’t give up.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your response!

We did try several times over the phone to have it removed, and was told that it is illegal for them to do so, because the FCRA requires them to report accurate information. I was sent this link for their source. 

https://www.nafcu.org/compliance-blog/what-do-goodwill-adjustments-credit-report-and-slenderman-have...

I am at a complete loss on what to do now. 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Listen if you want to take the time and search the threads you’ll see instances where it has occurred.

It’s true it’s their policy not to and that’s why it’s not easy that’s why you may have to try over and over and over again. Send a letter send another send another when you get someone that’s in a good mood on the right day you might get lucky.

They are required to report accurately but they also provide goodwill deletions when they feel like it,which isn’t often, that’s why you’ve got to keep trying until you reach the right person on the right day.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Believe me, it can happen. Every time you send a letter increases your odds; it’s just like playing lotto, the more tickets you have the better chance you have.

I don’t have experience with this particular lender, but I’m sure other members have and may chime in.

May work but then again it may not, it has in the past for others; what do you have to lose a few stamps?
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.