cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Added as authorized user on old card, but average age dropped?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Added as authorized user on old card, but average age dropped?

Hello, I'm looking for some insight on why my average age of accounts dropped.

I was recently added on as an authorized user on a $15k limit Amex, opened in 2007 so 13 y/o.

Credit Karma is showing the age of this account as "<1 month" old, and saying that the date opened is "Unknown"

Does it take a few statement cycles for this age/info to update?

Thanks in advance!

12 REPLIES 12
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Added as authorized user on old card, but average age dropped?

Not sure how you CreditKarma calculates AAoA on open and close accounts. I'll drop a link here.

$1 you can obtain your 3 bureau FICO 8 scores and reports at Experian or CreditCheckTotal (part of Experian). Cancel in 7 day or less to avoid the re-occurring monthly charge. Wash, Rinse, and Repeat as needed.

Message 2 of 13
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was recently added on as an authorized user on a $15k limit Amex, opened in 2007 so 13 y/o.

Credit Karma is showing the age of this account as "<1 month" old, and saying that the date opened is "Unknown"

Thanks in advance!

I am pretty sure that when you are added as a Amex AU, you do not get the age of account added.

I am pretty sure it starts as a new account on your file.

I could be wrong.

Message 3 of 13
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks in advance!

I am pretty sure that when you are added as a Amex AU, you do not get the age of account added.

I could be wrong.

I think you are not wrong. Which leads me to believe you are correct. Smiley Wink I do recall reading AmEx AU cards do not back date. It reports as date added as AU?

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AllZero wrote:

Not sure how you CreditKarma calculates AAoA on open and close accounts. I'll drop a link here.

$1 you can obtain your 3 bureau FICO 8 scores and reports at Experian or CreditCheckTotal (part of Experian). Cancel in 7 day or less to avoid the re-occurring monthly charge. Wash, Rinse, and Repeat as needed.

Thank you!! I'll check that site out 😊

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks in advance!

I could be wrong.

That's exactly what it looks like. I should have done my research before being added to an Amex, lol. Oh well. It set me back a few months on the average age, but I'm hoping the point gain from lowering my overall utilization will be worth it. Thanks again!

Message 6 of 13
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks in advance!

I could be wrong.

That's exactly what it looks like. I should have done my research before being added to an Amex, lol. Oh well. It set me back a few months on the average age, but I'm hoping the point gain from lowering my overall utilization will be worth it. Thanks again!

One thought on lowering overall Utilization by being an AU, Most times when you apply for Credit,

They discount any AU cards.

Also algorithms are very sophisticated these days to Un-Mask AU Utilization. ALL JMO

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks in advance!

I could be wrong.

One thought on lowering overall Utilization by being an AU, Most times when you apply for Credit,

Also algorithms are very sophisticated these days to Un-Mask AU Utilization. ALL JMO

Yup, even at same address one of my AUs doesn't have any utilization boost from my card

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks in advance!

I could be wrong.

Good to know! Thank you. FICO mortgage scores too? I'm at about 4% utilization with the AU card, 8% without. I'll keep chipping away at the last few percent and just ignore the extra AU amount then!

Message 9 of 13
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks in advance!

I could be wrong.

Nope, you're right M_Smart007

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.