Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Address verification problems

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Address verification problems

I am having chronic address verification failures when signing up for new online accounts. My credit reports are permanently frozen. However, I always unfreeze them before applying for credit cards and bank accounts.

I applied for a Suntrust Credit card twice. The second time I went into a branch and spoke to a banker after I sent in my application online. The banker verified my ID and address via my driver's license card. Yet the denial letter for second application still said one of the reasons for the denial "Unable to match applicant(s) to credit bureau record".
Suntrust hardpulls from Equifax. For the last two days, the last two address for my Equifax credit report were cut and pasted from Creditkarma.com into the Suntrust online application. But my address still does validate ... admittedly it could be because my credit reports are now frozen.
Suntrust:
https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Denied-for-Suntrust-Credit-because-of-unab...

Premier Credit Union sent me two different Adverse Action letters about week a part. I decided not two open a account with them because at the time I thought they were requesting unreasonable amount of documentation. They softpulled from Experian.
Premiers credit union:
https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/Premier-Members-credit-Union-money-market-account-...

A third bank failed the online account address verification. Had to go into a branch to open the account. In doing so I lost the opportunity to fund the account by credit card.

Two online retailer charged my credit card and sent my order verification emails. Only to cancel the orders a few hours later because verification issues.

Retailer one allowed me verify my over the phone. Based on the verification questions asked leads my to deduct they softpulled a credit report. The customer care representative asked me questions about my car loan. Eventually I was verified however the product I wanted to buy was no longer available at the price that originally was paid in the cancelled order. I was so irked that I decided not to buy from them. In addition, the first time customer $10 off coupon no longer worked even though the first order was cancelled.

The second retailer pretty munch told to go "muck fyself" and would not offer a verification over the phone.

Is there a why to permanently fix this? Change my my address to A USPS validated address on my drivers's license, checks, banks account and wait until it trickles into the CRA's?
Does the appearance of this message in my credit report: "SECURITY FREEZE: This file has been frozen or locked at the consumer's request." cause a red flag?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Address verification problems

Seems as though you iced yourself out of everything somehow.

I would clear any flags/comments on your reports for starters.

In the past did you put a fraud alert on them or subscribe to LifeLock and have them freeze your reports?

Pull the lesser known sources of public info like LexisNexus, ARS, Innovis, SageStream and verify your info is correct there as well.  

Double check your reports for any fraudulent info/accounts, make sure your address supplied to creditors matches your ID/DL, and quick locking your reports.  If you can't even get a verification to go through there's no way anyone else would either.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your address on your drivers license and with the credit bureaus should always match your mailing address unless you want to have problems. 

Pull LexisNexis since that's where most of these verification questions come from. Make sure to dispute anything that isn't accurate and then freeze LN too. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Seems as though you iced yourself out of everything somehow.

I would clear any flags/comments on your reports for starters.

In the past did you put a fraud alert on them or subscribe to LifeLock and have them freeze your reports?

Pull the lesser known sources of public info like LexisNexus, ARS, Innovis, SageStream and verify your info is correct there as well.  

Double check your reports for any fraudulent info/accounts, make sure your address supplied to creditors matches your ID/DL, and quick locking your reports.  If you can't even get a verification to go through there's no way anyone else would either.

I did put a freeze on my credit reports at the big three CRA about 11-12 years ago do to multiple data breaches. Not locking my reports is not a option. Besides I always unlock them when ever I apply for credit cards or bank accounts. The freezes were placed by me via snail mail. Services like Lifelock were never used.

The following comment is in my Transunion CR "SECURITY FREEZE: This file has been frozen or locked at the consumer's request." Was not found in Experian and Equifax is unkown. Will have figure out how to remove.

My address is written in multiple interations most of witch dont match my ID/DL. Will rectify that.

Up until the last few months I have never had a problem with address verification. Also, I recently open at least one credit card online, a bank account online, redeemed an online rebate with out any issues.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Your address on your drivers license and with the credit bureaus should always match your mailing address unless you want to have problems. 

Pull LexisNexis since that's where most of these verification questions come from. Make sure to dispute anything that isn't accurate and then freeze LN too. 

Will do. If a vendor uses LexisNexis for verification and I freeze LexisNexis will that cause the vendor to auto rejected me do to lack verification?

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

To be true, an address in the offical USPS address database must match a corresponding address. If an address contains incorrect data, the address in the database does not match the address and is thus "unvalid."

An address is sometimes not checked since the USPS calls the address "vacant." Therefore, a new address, a new address or a non-registered address that is located inside the mostly PO boxed postal code will not all be validated. The best way to ensure the authenticity of an address is to test the address through address verification system before sending or mailing anything.

Many addresses will not search because they are invalid for one reason or another.

This is a painful truth, and the best of us is happening. You believe you're clever. You presume that before you try to send something you are taking the right steps to verify your emails. And then, the impensable occurs: you don't have an address.

But it makes sense to explain events like these and to seek peace through the "why" of our situation. It means that if you want to know what to do or how to repair it, you must know what first broke. You must know what it should look like when it works, before you can do that.

Message 6 of 7
zerofire
Valued Contributor

I concur. The address on your paperwork needs to be corrected first. The licence is supposed to state your current address likewise that address is supposed to be at the beureu's. It is possible that the banks are not properly typing it in because your report is fully loaded with derivatives. Tell your banks your correct address and they will put it in when they next report. Also call in to the beureu's and have them remove the spelling mistakes. I had this happen when I first got into credit. One bank approved with a butchered address and another skipped everything after the first letter but did add a suffix. The cleaner your file the easier the verification. As for the merchants they do a different address verification that goes against a USPS Address Database. That database is super sensitive. I have an address where when I enter mine it says it is wrong and gives the same address as the correct one. Make sure you are entering the address correctly at all times.

Last but not least make sure to not get discouraged by address verification. This is the number one way to get in hot water. You need to go through the whole process if you want a chance. Your reports are too messed up right now to get instant approvals and constantly giving up will travel from bank to bank. Lastly make sure to keep the reports unfrozen for the full time of the new account processing. This is ~30days. They can do a check later which might be making a mess with address verification because they have no address to compare to. Bank reads of reports can do weird things.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.