Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Authorized User Hard Pull

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express Authorized User Hard Pull

Today i added my parents to my Delta AMEX account as authorized users. Throughout the whole process I was never advised that I would be subjected to a hard pull. After completing the process I received the usual Experian Alert a new inquiry was processed. I had no idea by having a Fraud Statement on my credit five this was the procedure. i just applies for this card and was approved on 12/12/19 and in less than a month another inquiry was done .. you can only imagine how livid I was. My EX score is currently a 775 my TU 788 and EQ 786. My concern is with the frequency of Inquires in a short amount of time, how will creditors view these inquires in regards to CLI in the near future.
8 REPLIES 8
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: American Express Authorized User Hard Pull

How many inquiries do you have in the past 12 months?
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thornback wrote:
How many inquiries do you have in the past 12 months?

This ^

If it's only a couple, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's say 10+, then maybe but not necessarily an issue depending on each file. YMMV

Message 3 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

American Express is known to do a HP to add an AU if there's a fraud alert... they claim it's required to get the contact phone number from the report that's associated with the alert.

Edited to add:  Here are some other examples of this:  https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/I-added-authorize-user-to-my-Amex-and-they-di... 

Message 4 of 9
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

American Express is known to do a HP to add an AU if there's a fraud alert... they claim it's required to get the contact phone number from the report that's associated with the alert.

Edited to add:  Here are some other examples of this:  https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/I-added-authorize-user-to-my-Amex-and-they-di... 

Interesting and Good stuff @UncleB Smiley Happy

I had added My Daughter as an AU for Her to have A Hilton Card on Her honeymoon.

Glad there was no HP involved.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I do have a fraud alert with my telephone number .. and thats exactly why they said they did it Smiley Mad

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for Replying, 

Currently I have 3 Auto Loan HPs .. that were done on 9/27/2018 In which i have been approved and have been making on time payments .. They are due to fall off in September this year.

I have 3 HPS from AMEX the first time I applied 12/31/2018 and was denied, the second time was on 12/12/2019 and was approved and then added the authorized user and they pulled 1/7/2020

I applied for a Wells Fargo Visa (Approved) 1/3/19

Discover Hard Pull 7/30/2018 (Approved) Removal Date: 7/30/2020

Capital One Hard Pull 5/25/2018 (Approved) Removal Date 5/25/2020

Credit One Hard Pull 5/19/2018 (Approved) but never opened account when I read bad reviews.

Removal Date: 5/19/2020

Chase Saphire 5/19/2018 (Denied) Was told by CreditKarma my chanced were EXCELLENT (LIARS!! Smiley Mad )

Removal Date: 5/19/2020

My Fico EX has since recovered and is now a 784 ... TU Fico 805 EQ Fico 801. 

My Amex has not reported yet, I'm assuming after the second statement it will. I would like to apply for another AMEX card .. and wondering should i wait until the other inquires fall off before applying. 

Thanks for your feedback

Message 7 of 9
satio
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My Amex has not reported yet, I'm assuming after the second statement it will. I would like to apply for another AMEX card .. and wondering should i wait until the other inquires fall off before applying. 

Thanks for your feedback

AMEX is known for monthly SP for monitoring your credit health and is also known for only doing a SP for subsequent additional account openings ... if you have some history. I would probably make use of the account for 6 months and then pull the trigger for the additional account you desire.

I was an AMEX account holder dating back to 1987. It is one of the oldest accounts on my profile. They closed this account back in 2014 in good standing because I was facing credit health issues overall given my financial struggles and failure to pay obiligations caused my score to tank.

Now that I have made positive recovery, AMEX was in my wheelhouse for accounts I wanted and began that by opening a BCP in October 2019.

I'm just making use of the account and rebuilding current history with them as I have suggested before pulling the trigger on a second account I wish to have with them.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder if you can ask them to have it re-coded as a SP?

Keep in mind that the car loan inquiries should only be counted as one, if they were all at about the same time. A computer will see it as three but on recon they will see it as one on manual review for most lenders.

Also inquiries only cause the score ding for 365 days so the ones that are over a year old are on your record, but they are not causing point loss.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.