cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Goodwill Letter worked in less than 24 hours! Wooooohoooo!

tag
dandaman

Amex Goodwill Letter worked in less than 24 hours! Wooooohoooo!

Originally this post was a bid for someone to give me feedback on my letter below which I emailed to Amex yesterday. I just got a call from Amex Executive team saying that they reviewed my account and determined I was eligible for a GW delete and I would see it in 30-45 days. I can't believe it. This was my first attempt. 

Hi,

Can you provide some feedback on this letter? This is my first stab at doing this and I would really appreciate any insight. Thank you!

RE: Account # ending -XXXXX
Hello,
Thank you for your time and I really appreciate you hearing my request. 
In March of 2023 I made a couple of small but very consequential oversights which resulted in me not paying my balance on time. 
Can you please see that the late payment mark in my credit report is removed on the basis of goodwill?

Yes, this was completely my fault and I have fixed the problem so it won’t ever happen again. I was also going through some stressful personal/health issues with my teenage daughter that contributed to me not keeping the best eye on my finances at the time.

Here’s what happened:
  1. I did not set up Autopay successfully when I received my new Skymiles card. Apparently I entered the bank information, but I failed to turn it on. This was my first mistake.  
  2. My next mistake was not seeing  the payment reminder emails. I had a previous card with Amex that I was getting marketing emails for and I forgot to disable a filter I had in place to redirect Amex emails away from my primary inbox in order to keep it more focused.
The first I heard of the problem was when my credit monitoring service alerted me of the late payment in May of 2023. I thought that it was a mistake because certainly I had everything in order. The moment I got the notice, I logged into my Amex account, paid the amount due and turned on Autopay. This is the first bad mark in my credit in over 24 years and it comes at a terrible time. I went from having Excellent credit during my entire adult life to Poor credit seemingly overnight. Ironically, this comes when I’m in the most financially secure position of my life.

Of course, it was due to the above mistakes which I have learned from and corrected. I’m very sorry for the oversight and I would be so grateful if you could remove this mark from my credit history. I assure you it will NEVER happen again.

Sincerely yours,
12 REPLIES 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Feedback on GW letter please?

@dandaman wrote:

Hi,

Can you provide some feedback on this letter? This is my first stab at doing this and I would really appreciate any insight. Thank you!

RE: Account # ending -XXXXX
Hello,
Thank you for your time and I really appreciate you hearing my request. 
In March of 2023 I made a couple of small but very consequential oversights which resulted in me not paying my balance on time. 
Can you please see that the late payment mark in my credit report is removed on the basis of goodwill?

Yes, this was completely my fault and I have fixed the problem so it won’t ever happen again. I was also going through some stressful personal/health issues with my teenage daughter that contributed to me not keeping the best eye on my finances at the time.

Here’s what happened:
  1. I did not set up Autopay successfully when I received my new Skymiles card. Apparently I entered the bank information, but I failed to turn it on. This was my first mistake.  
  2. My next mistake was not seeing  the payment reminder emails. I had a previous card with Amex that I was getting marketing emails for and I forgot to disable a filter I had in place to redirect Amex emails away from my primary inbox in order to keep it more focused.
The first I heard of the problem was when my credit monitoring service alerted me of the late payment in May of 2023. I thought that it was a mistake because certainly I had everything in order. The moment I got the notice, I logged into my Amex account, paid the amount due and turned on Autopay. This is the first bad mark in my credit in over 24 years and it comes at a terrible time. I went from having Excellent credit during my entire adult life to Poor credit seemingly overnight. Ironically, this comes when I’m in the most financially secure position of my life.

Of course, it was due to the above mistakes which I have learned from and corrected. I’m very sorry for the oversight and I would be so grateful if you could remove this mark from my credit history. I assure you it will NEVER happen again.

Sincerely yours,

Looks good to me.

I'm not saying it will work, but I can't imagine a better way of approaching it.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 2 of 13
dandaman

@SouthJamaica  Thank you very much. The letter worked in less than 24 hours! I'm so stoked Smiley Tongue

Message 3 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@dandaman wrote:

@SouthJamaica  Thank you very much. The letter worked in less than 24 hours! I'm so stoked Smiley Tongue

Wow, I'm very happy for you!!!

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 4 of 13
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congrats! Isnt often you see results like that!

Message 5 of 13
trader92

Re: Amex Goodwill Letter worked in less than 24 hours! Wooooohoooo!

Congrats! I am attempting an email now. What email did you send it? Can you provide or DM?

Message 6 of 13
ziggy29

Nice.  That had to be a good feeling. And, knowing my recent brush with a potential late payment on my credit report that I was fortunate to avoid, I know the feeling of examining your monitoring to make sure it never happens again.  I had already drafted most of the goodwill letter.

FICO 8, 1/2024: TU 836 / EQ 850 / EX 850 (Just went up a few points when one hard pull reached a year old)
Message 7 of 13
IntegerIntrovert
Frequent Contributor

Great story, thanks for sharing!

EQ - 809 / TU - 817 / EX - 817

Message 8 of 13
BuckyB
New Contributor

Thanks for this, I sent this to a friend as a template for her own letter.

Message 9 of 13
Sunflowerhippi

What address did you send that to? Could you let me know if you still have it. thanks! 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.