Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex score 😳😳😳

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex score 😳😳😳

So I called Amex today and asked to speak to a supervisor in credit department, the csr stated that the credit department is not open on weekends but she was more then happy to let me speak to her immediate supervisor, on hold for about a minute and the supervisor comes on and thanks me for being an amex card holder, I say thank you and I enjoy being one, long story short, I posted a few days ago about not getting a credit limit increase on my BCE and my Everyday Amex, but was approved for the platinum the gold and the cash magnet, well the supervisor said that my scores wasn’t high enough for a limit, I asked what scores they use because my Experian is knocking on being 690 and that’s Fico 8, she said sir we don’t use Fico 8 we use vantage 3.0 when you submit a cli, so I thank her and tell her have a good day, I hang up and start looking at how I can check my vantage 3.0, low and behold I check it and it shows 639 credit score, how the hell is that possible for them to use for cli but not for approvals, because there is no way I am approved for the bce and everyday and the green card with a 639 score and now pre approved for the platinum gold and cash magnet, just a Amex puzzle to me and guess I don’t understand yet how Amex works, would love to hear some feedback if anyone else has been told that.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex score 😳😳😳

I believe that's the first time I've heard of AMEX using Vantage for CLIs. 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Me too because all the forums I’ve read say they are soft pulls and mostly use your last score they pulled, but she did confirm that cli are soft pulls but they use vantage 3.0, totally threw me off when she said that, but kinda makes sense on my end as my vantage 3.0 is 639 but my exp Fico 8 is 684
Message 3 of 9
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Did she say which cb Vantage 3? Exp?

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 4 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

To the best of my knowledge, this person was mistaken.  They are not in a department that makes lending decisions, nor someone who can make decisions.  They have likely had an influx of calls asking about the credit scores shown by default in accounts since they are TransUnion VantageScore 3.0 and the Experian FICO 08 score is harder to find on their website, and it's likely in the script to explain that it's a VS3 score shown.

ALL official Amex channels state that Experian FICO 08 is the one used to manage your account and the American Express My Credit Guide specifically states that it is not the score used by American Express to manage your account.

If American Express were to use VS3 for lending decisions, many people like myself would be in serious trouble.  I've had sub-700 VS3 scores while having 800+ FICO 08 scores.

EDIT: I have a letter from a denied CLI request a few months ago that displays my Experian FICO 08 score, although scoring is not the reason for the decline.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, she didn’t say which vantage score they use just that it’s vantage 3.0
Message 6 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
I agree, she didn’t say which vantage score they use just that it’s vantage 3.0

American Express MyCredit Guide uses TransUnion VantageScore 3.0, but again I believe you were told incorrect information.

Edit:

VantageScore Credit Score

The credit score provided through MyCredit Guide is your VantageScore Credit Score. VantageScore Credit Score is calculated by a model (as may be updated from time to time) created by VantageScore Solutions, LLC. VantageScore Credit Score predicts credit risk. Specifically, it measures the probability that a person will pay his or her debts on time. There are many different credit scores in the marketplace based on different models with different scoring ranges. The scores provided through MyCredit Guide are for your education/information purposes only. 

---

Your FICO® Score 8 based on Experian data is the same score used by American Express.

Message 7 of 9
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Maybe the CSR just came over fron Sync, and it's their first daySmiley Very Happy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol Smart!

Yeah I think they were misinformed as well I’ve never heard of that either.
Message 9 of 9
† Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.