Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annual Credit Report Inquiry

tag
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Annual Credit Report Inquiry

I know that this topic has come up before but the issue remains unresolved. When you go to the annual credit report website to pull a free report once a year Transunion's information is causing the following names inquiry to come up as a hard pull when in fact it is a soft hit because the consumer is pulling it themselves. But the name of the hard hit is 2ND FACTACT FREE DISC. I have had no luck in getting Transunion to remove the inquiry because it should not be associated with the other hard pulls. 

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Annual Credit Report Inquiry

@CreditBob wrote:

I know that this topic has come up before but the issue remains unresolved. When you go to the annual credit report website to pull a free report once a year Transunion's information is causing the following names inquiry to come up as a hard pull when in fact it is a soft hit because the consumer is pulling it themselves. But the name of the hard hit is 2ND FACTACT FREE DISC. I have had no luck in getting Transunion to remove the inquiry because it should not be associated with the other hard pulls. 

Interesting.

It was a soft pull for me though, using that same website, when I pulled it 4 1/2 months ago

Message 2 of 41
Davis9508
Contributor

Same thing happened to me. Transunion says it's a soft pull but it shows right there in the hard pulls on my mortgage application...

Message 3 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow... I had not heard about this.  That makes three different people confirming that pulling your own personal TU report at ACR is treated as a hard inquiry..  A few questions:

(1)  Have you guys confirmed that other sources of your TU report are saying the same thing?  I.e. have you waited a week (in case this is a weird glitch that only lasts for a few days) and then looked at what Karma says?  At what WalletHub says?  Credit Check Total?  These other tools are also showing a hard inquiry a full week later?

(2)  This problem is confined to TU?  I.e. if you use ACR to pull your EQ or EX report, then neither of those bureaus treats it as a hard inquiry?

(3)  How far back in time does this problem go?  In other words, when did we first start hearing about TU doing this?  Is it something that only started very recently?

Message 4 of 41
Davis9508
Contributor

I pulled mine on July 19 and it shows as 2Nd Factact Free Disc.
It shows on Myfico 3b pulls and it showed when I had my credit pulled for a preapproval for a mortgage. I had to explain it because it was done in the same month (Thank goodness for google)
It also shows on credit karma as 2nd Fa Disc with misc as the type.
I pull them every year and this is the first time it happened to me.
I called them. And the guy could see it but insisted it was a soft pull...
Message 5 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much, Davis! 

To the other two people who are telling us that this happened, would you mind giving us some extra details?

(a)  On what date did you pull your TU report with ACR?  (Rough guess is fine.)

(b)  What tools have you used since then that show that a hard inquiry has occured?  (Karma, WalletHub, Credit Check Total, myFICO, mortgage application, etc.)  Roughtly when did these other tools show the hard inquiry?

(c)  Did you talk with a TU rep about it?  If so, what did the rep say?

Also curious as I said earlier about how far back this problem has been going back (and likewise whether it has happened with a recent TU pull).  Also be nice to confirm that this is NOT happening when a person uses ACR to pull his EQ or EX report.  If anyone reading this thread can chime in with answers to any of this I'd be grateful.

Believe it or not, I was planning next week to pull all three reports at ACR.  Since I am strongly considering a home purchase this winter, I am being extra cautious about inquiries and anything else that could lower any of my three scores.  Never would have occured to me that an ACR pull had the slightest chance of being rendered as hard.

Message 6 of 41
iv
Valued Contributor

For what it's worth, I pulled the ACR reports from all three on 9/30, and all three did properly report as SPs.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 7 of 41
CreditBob
Established Contributor

I pulled through ACR a few months ago. And including MyFICO it comes across as a hard inquiry. If you as the consumer are pulling it yourself it should not really matter because it will always be a soft inquiry.
Message 8 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditBob wrote:
I pulled through ACR a few months ago. And including MyFICO it comes across as a hard inquiry. If you as the consumer are pulling it yourself it should not really matter because it will always be a soft inquiry.

Hey CreditBob.  You say above that pulling with ACR will always be a soft inquiry -- but if I understand your first post right, and also this post, the ACR pull is not always ending up as a soft inquiry.  The whole point of this thread is that ACR is not (in your experience) always a soft inquiry.  Am I right?

Message 9 of 41
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Yes, that is correct. My understanding that is long as I am personally pulling my own credit then it is always a soft inquiry. Especially if it is directly from ACR. Moving forward because of this situation I will use Credit Karma, etc. For the reports in addition to the MyFICO website
Message 10 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.