cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any advantage in locking all credit bureaus?

tag
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

Any advantage in locking all credit bureaus?

Hey guys. 

If I am not going to be applying for credit anymore or credit line increases. Is there any advantage to locking all 3? 

What could I be needind un unlocked file besides new credit or line increases?

Besides being more of a chore to do, is it really worth it?

I wonder how lenders look at this when they do their behind the scenes spying on you to see what's up with your credit files Smiley Happy 

Would this help during these times of COVID in any way, let's say, it indicates to them that we are not applying for more lines or they have no access to even doing a SP for regular checkups when credit files are locked?

Thoughts? thanks a lot

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any advantage in locking all credit bureaus?

Locking or freezing (I recommend a freeze instead of a lock) can prevent fraud because it blocks all inquiries for new credit but it won't stop existing lenders from being able to SP if they code it as an AR.

I have all three of my bureaus on ice again. It does block credit.com from being able to give me my credit score which I don't really care about and I have to remember to lift the freeze when I go to ask for CLIs from Synchrony (which I won't be doing anymore) so that the SP isn't bounced (they don't code them as AR, neither does Comenity) and sometimes there is a 10-15 minute delay during which apps can get declined after I put in a lift but it does act as a barrier to me being able to just go impulse app since it takes a bit of time to lift the freezes in addition to blocking fraud attempts.

Message 2 of 16
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

I keep mine locked, to make sure the fraudsters do not open anything in my name.

Also some years back, someone had tried to buy a car in my name.

They had successfully pulled my credit report (while unlocked). but never got the car.

I think @Jnbmom , just dealt with something pretty crappy. She might chime in. (sorry for what your going through MomSmiley Sad)

I lock EX through EX paid, and TU/EQ through TU basic bare minimum paid.

(I have found this to be the easiest method, at least for me)

It seems like fraud keeps getting worse .. around every corner.

@AnonymousMight chime in also, as to why He locks His.

Message 3 of 16
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

Freeze your credit with Equifax, Experian and TransUnion

Credit BureauOnlineBy phoneBy mail
How to freeze your credit with EquifaxVisitEquifax Credit Freeze page1-800-685-1111 (NY residents call 1-800-349-9960)Equifax Security Freeze, P.O. Box 105788 Atlanta, GA 30348
Visit: Experian Credit Freeze page1-888-EXPERIAN (1-888-397-3742)Experian Security Freeze, P.O. Box 9554 Allen, TX 75013
How to freeze your credit with TransUnion Visit: TransUnion Credit Freeze page 1-888-909-8872TransUnion LLC, P.O. Box 2000
Chester, PA 19016

I found this on https://clark.com/credit/credit-freeze-and-thaw-guide/

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@M_Smart007 wrote:

I keep mine locked, to make sure the fraudsters do not open anything in my name.

Also some years back, someone had tried to buy a car in my name.

They had successfully pulled my credit report (while unlocked). but never got the car.

I think @Jnbmom , just dealt with something pretty crappy. She might chime in. (sorry for what your going through MomSmiley Sad)

I lock EX through EX paid, and TU/EQ through TU basic bare minimum paid.

(I have found this to be the easiest method, at least for me)

It seems like fraud keeps getting worse .. around every corner.

@AnonymousMight chime in also, as to why He locks His.

lol I was a bit quicker than you getting the post out Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 16
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

I typed to slowSmiley Tongue

Had a phone call.

Message 6 of 16
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

@Superduper2014     I keep mine locked too it also helps me to NOT do uneeded pulls for curiousity sake XD   SP or Not it's just a habit I want to keep so I can only app for what's important and keep my information protected in the meantime.    [Mod cut: This discussion is not allowed on the myFICO Forums. - KiB]    YMMV but I like them NO TOUCH xD

Message 7 of 16
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

@Superduper2014     I keep mine locked too it also helps me to NOT do uneeded pulls for curiousity sake XD   SP or Not it's just a habit I want to keep so I can only app for what's important and keep my information protected in the meantime.    [Mod cut: This discussion is not allowed on the myFICO Forums. - KiB]  YMMV but I like them NO TOUCH xD

Thank you all for your giving me your opinions on this! I will look into doing this for fraud prevention and [Mod cut: This discussion is not allowed on the myFICO Forums. - KiB] 

Message 8 of 16
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

I just locked all mine . I received a debit card in the mail this card is usually used to receive unemployment benefits and I am still employed thank goodness however this is one of the latest fraud going around 😡so now I have to keep close eye as someone has my info apparently 😡😡

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 9 of 16
boosnark
Contributor

A good compromise is to place a fraud alert, which will instruct the lender to contact you if someone tries to open an account under your name. It will usually last for a year (renewable).

Gardening until November 1, 2023
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.