Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody else get an email about Paypal changing terms

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pay pal credit! reporting !

From what is being reported by users here, it seems like the June update/September reporting is for existing users, and all new users will have the TL report immediately. I highly doubt Synchrony will have different reporting terms for the same account across different users. My concern is whether old users will be backdated to when the account was first opened, or if it will report as a June 2019 account, when the full switch went into effect.

Message 81 of 179
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Looking more likely everyone will be member since 2019Smiley Wink. Not cool but thats SyncSmiley Wink
Message 82 of 179
Gonzozap
Frequent Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Looking more likely everyone will be member since 2019Smiley Wink. Not cool but thats SyncSmiley Wink

If the wrong dates are used, then I will file a dispute with the bureaus.  They MUST report accurately.

Message 83 of 179
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi - I contact them directly via email and this is what they responded - fingers crossed! Will give me a little more time to pay it down before it starts reporting. 

"We have been advised that Synchrony will begin credit reporting no sooner than September 2019. We have no further information at this time.

Thanks for being a PayPal Credit customer."

Message 84 of 179
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gonzozap wrote:

If the wrong dates are used, then I will file a dispute with the bureaus.  They MUST report accurately.

They would be reporting accurately. They are only responsible for reporting the time that they have been the servicer of the account which is happening in June. There is zero obligation for a creditor to report dates that an account was owned by another company. 

Message 85 of 179
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

But didn't synchrony start servicing PPcredit last year or am I dreaming again lol?
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 86 of 179
Anonymous
Not applicable

It looks like they didn’t take full ownership of the accounts til now. I dunno it’s confusing to me too. 

Message 87 of 179
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

It looks like they didn’t take full ownership of the accounts til now. I dunno it’s confusing to me too. 

Clear as mudSmiley Happy

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 88 of 179
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gonzozap wrote:

They would be reporting accurately. They are only responsible for reporting the time that they have been the servicer of the account which is happening in June. There is zero obligation for a creditor to report dates that an account was owned by another company. 

I'm not sure that's entirely correct. For example I got a Best Buy MC in Oct. 2011 when it was issued by HSBC. Capital One acquired the Best Buy accounts around 2012 and reported the original HSBC open date. Then Citi acquired the BB accounts around 2013 and they reported the original HSBC open date. I closed it in 2015 and it now reports both by Cap One & Citi in my Closed accounts, although HSBC stopped all reporting.

BUT, the account was reported to the CRAs at all times, so I think to keep the reporting accurate as required by law, the new owners had to continue to report the original open date of the prevous account owner. But since PayPal Credit has never been reported to the CRAs I think that enables Synch to just report a start date when they acquired the account - that would be accurate reporting because nothing else has ever been reported.

I opened my account back around 2007-2008 when it was Bill Me Later but rarely used it and I didn't like Sync's new minimum payment requirement so I closed it in April. Good call, I would not be a happy camper if a 12 year old account reported as a new account in June.

Message 89 of 179
Gonzozap
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gonzozap wrote:

Well, I would need to know where this information originates.

It certainly is NOT true in the mortgage business.  When mortgages are bought & sold and when servicers change, the reporting does not start as a new loan.  That would be a catastrophe.  Homeowners would lose their minds.  Loans are bought and sold like candy.

Years ago, I had at least a couple credit cards that were taken over by a new bank.  Elan was one and Fleet was another.  The reporting under the new lender did not begin reporting from when they took over the accounts as if the cards were recently opened.  

Now, I'm perfectly ok with reporting of payments starting now.  But the date the account was opened must stay the same.  Since I never did "open" an account with the new lender.

Message 90 of 179
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.