Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User – Payment History Improvement

tag
MzChrissy
New Contributor

Authorized User – Payment History Improvement

I asked my fiancée to add me to his AMEX card ($10k limit, 2% utilization, 2005 open date) as an authorize user (which he did last night) for the credit history because it’s the old reporting credit card he has. Will that make a difference? And, will his payment history (100% on time) on that card increase my current payment history percentage (97% on time overall)?

Backstory: I recently paid off my car (5 year loan). My student loan (opened 2004) was closed and moved to another lender so my entire credit history and longest reporting account was whipped out in the blink of an eye. My credit length looks like it's only reporting on open accounts so now I only have about 2 years of a credit file (active/open accounts) since all credit cards I currently have, were obtained within the last 2 years. I closed many of my credit cards in my late 20s when I was trying to pull myself out of debt but I didn't know or realize the credit implications it would have and hindsight, I should have left them open and just not touch them.

Current Score:
Goal Score [Dec. 2021]:

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Platinum $50k | BlueNile $22.5k | Macys AMEX $20k | Citibank (AU) $19k | NFCU LOC $15k | AMEX Platinum $13k POT | Apple (Goldman Sachs) $12k | Amazon Store Card $10k | PayPal Credit $10k | Discover IT $10k | SoFi MasterCard $9k | Nordstrom Visa $6k
4 REPLIES 4
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Authorized User – Payment History Improvement

AMEX will not report age of the account of the primary for AUs. It will date like you just opened it yesterday so for AAoA purposes this will not help you. As far as I'm aware AMEX is the only one to report AUs but not the AoA. Payment history wise I doubt you will see any improvement since you're already almost at 100%.

Message 2 of 5
MzChrissy
New Contributor

Well heck, that sucks lol thank you for the info.

Current Score:
Goal Score [Dec. 2021]:

NFCU Platinum $50k | BlueNile $22.5k | Macys AMEX $20k | Citibank (AU) $19k | NFCU LOC $15k | AMEX Platinum $13k POT | Apple (Goldman Sachs) $12k | Amazon Store Card $10k | PayPal Credit $10k | Discover IT $10k | SoFi MasterCard $9k | Nordstrom Visa $6k
Message 3 of 5
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Welcome to the forums.  To elaborate on that, Amex used to backdate all accounts to the year you first popped up in the Amex system, or with an AU card, the year that one was reported as.  So say one of our parents opened their account in 1970 and made us an AU at some point.  If we opened a new Amex card on January 21st, 2014, it would have been reported with an opening date of January 21st, 1970. Unfortunately in changing this, they no longer backdate AU accounts whatsoever and they really are the onl;y creditor I know of to have gone to that extreme.  If there are any other AU accounts you can be added to, you will inherit the entire credit history of that account.

Message 4 of 5
MzChrissy
New Contributor

I appreciate this information. Thank you.
I just spoke with him and he said he has a Citi MasterCard that he can add me too. We’ll give that one a try.
Current Score:
Goal Score [Dec. 2021]:

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.