Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized user without providing SSN?

tag
8bitmachinegun
Regular Contributor

Authorized user without providing SSN?

I've got a friend in a jam, and want to make her an authorized user on one of my cards (Amex or Navy Fed) and allocate a few hundred to her. The problem is that the forms all ask for her SSN, which she is understandably reluctant to give me.

Is there any way to set her up as an AU without the SSN. Or maybe give her a way to provide her SSN directly to Amex without me learning the actual number?

FICO8 - Aug 2020
FICO9 - Aug 2019
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Authorized user without providing SSN?

She wants access to your finances (where she conceivably could run up a bill and walk away with zero consequence to her own history), but won't provide SSN to get it? 

Short answer, it won't work. I can't say for Navy, but Amex requires it or the card either won't be issued or it will be canceled. Lenders require it so they can know that the AU isn't someone with a bad past with them. It's SSN or no card.

Message 2 of 18
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Why not just get a prepaid Visa card?

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 18
TGG_1976
Contributor

When I was planning to do this with an Amex, Amex would ship the card to the AU and he/she would have to activate it, using their ss. I would call Amex and see if this is still the process.

Message 4 of 18
Veronik2019
Contributor

You trust that person enough to add her to your credit card account but she doesn't trust you with her ssn? 👀 I think you gotta read between the lines.

Message 5 of 18
Fico82
Frequent Contributor

Abort mission. 

Message 6 of 18
Credit12Fico
Established Contributor

@Veronik2019 wrote:

You trust that person enough to add her to your credit card account but she doesn't trust you with her ssn? 👀 I think you gotta read between the lines.

This. That "friend" could run up a debt and skip town....and you'd be on the hook if no social security was given for identity verification purposes.

Message 7 of 18
Drwaz99
Established Contributor

@Fico82 wrote:

Abort mission. 

EJECT! EJECT! EJECT!

Message 8 of 18
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

@Veronik2019 

+1 I agree with that statement!

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll also add that you should be careful about adding an AU who doesn't share a name or an address with you. There have been people who lost accounts that way, out of suspicion that they were selling AU accounts. It's been awhile since I've heard about it but it has happened.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.