Re: BOA DEBIT CARD FRAUD

@gingerflower 🤗

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 11 of 25
mortimerwereback
Regular Contributor

@gingerflower wrote:

Yes Boa was diligent in resolving the fraud situation.  I'm not sure if I need a debit card in order to get paid with my direct deposits.  Both govt direct deposit is thru my checking account.  But, I will definitely check if I can freeze the debit card or not activate card at all.

Option to freeze debit card is available. Mine's been frozen for quite some time now.

Looks like you as well as BofA reacted immediately. I didn't understand why you were upset with BofA. In any case, glad you caught it immediately.

Regarding how... this happened to me with my Charles Schwab debit card (which I have locked) but fraud dept told me that it might've been when I tried to use an ATM that had a card scanner attached to it.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." -Robert F. Kennedy

Message 12 of 25
gingerflower
Senior Contributor

@mortimerwereback

I think anyone would be upset with 14 fraud charges on a debit card. I caught the fraud charges on time and Boa fraud was on it. But, still being with Boa 16 yrs I have never got fraud charges on my debit card. I asked the fraud dept how was this possible bcuz I have never used the debit card anywhere since it was activated last month. Fraud dept could not give me an answer. So that is the reason 'WHY" I AM UPSET WITH BOA! 

Message 13 of 25
mortimerwereback
Regular Contributor

@gingerflower wrote:

@mortimerwereback

I think anyone would be upset with 14 fraud charges on a debit card. I caught the frau charges on time and Boa fraud was on it. But, still being with Boa 16 yrs I have never got fraud charges on my debit card. I asked the fraud dept how was this possible bcuz I have never used the debit card anywhere since it was activated last month. Fraud dept could not give me an answer. So that is the reason 'WHY" I AM UPSET WITH BOA! 

Sure I absolutely agree, getting 14 fraud charges is upsetting, but you seemed upset at BofA for not having done enough.

From what you state, it seemed BofA moved quickly to react and to return your money so I was curious as to how they had failed? Asking because I also bank with BofA.

As far as not being able to give you an answer... Yes, I could see how that could be frustrating, but respectfully, I'd be more concerned with how quickly my bank acted, not at not being able to give me a specific reason as to why, as anything could've happened.

Hopefully freezing your new card will help. Best of luck!

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." -Robert F. Kennedy

Message 14 of 25
Hex
Valued Contributor

I consider debit cards to be a danger to my bank accounts (AKA money). I get them in case I need them but I always freeze them in-between the times I use them. I only use them at an ATM to get cash. CCs are better because of low personal liability limits for unauthorized use. 

Message 15 of 25
gingerflower
Senior Contributor

@mortimerwereback 

Thank you for the feedback appreciate it. 

Message 16 of 25
gingerflower
Senior Contributor

@Hex 

Totally agree @Hex I will definitely have my debit card freezes after I activate card. Ty for your feedback appreciate it.

Message 17 of 25
EAT_SLEEP_JEEP
Valued Contributor

Seems they got on top of it and handled it quickly.  About 5 years ago or maybe 6 when we were still rebuilding and didn't have any credit cards we had unauthorized charges pop up in our credit union account. They actually made up get a police report as part of fixing everything. That kinda pissed me off as the constable that came to our house to write the report clearly stated he had better things he could be doing. I told him I agreed with him and having to get a police report was a first for me

KEEPER EVERYDAY CARDS/ AMEX CHARLES SCHWAB PLATINUM NPSL/ AMEX GOLD NPSL / AMEX GREEN NPSL/ AMEX EVERYDAY PREFERRED $30,000 CL/ AMEX BLUE BUSINESS PLUS $5000 SL/ AMEX BLUE CASH EVERYDAY $6000 / FIDELITY REWARDS VISA $23,500 SL/ NFCU FLAGSHIP $40,000 CL/ NFCU MORE REWARDS $33,000/ WELLS FARGO AUTOGRAPH $8200/ CITI COSTCO ANYWHERE VISA $6000 SL/ DISCOVER IT $3000 SL/ CAPITAL ONE SAVORONE $3000 SL

SOCK DRAWERED/ FNBO JEEP CARD $7700/ APPLE CARD $6500/ / PAYPAL CREDIT LINE $1700

Message 18 of 25
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@EAT_SLEEP_JEEP wrote:

the constable 

Across the pond?

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 19 of 25
EAT_SLEEP_JEEP
Valued Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

@EAT_SLEEP_JEEP wrote:

the constable 

Across the pond?

Texas. They handle things here the Sheriffs Dept or Highway Patrol dont

KEEPER EVERYDAY CARDS/ AMEX CHARLES SCHWAB PLATINUM NPSL/ AMEX GOLD NPSL / AMEX GREEN NPSL/ AMEX EVERYDAY PREFERRED $30,000 CL/ AMEX BLUE BUSINESS PLUS $5000 SL/ AMEX BLUE CASH EVERYDAY $6000 / FIDELITY REWARDS VISA $23,500 SL/ NFCU FLAGSHIP $40,000 CL/ NFCU MORE REWARDS $33,000/ WELLS FARGO AUTOGRAPH $8200/ CITI COSTCO ANYWHERE VISA $6000 SL/ DISCOVER IT $3000 SL/ CAPITAL ONE SAVORONE $3000 SL

SOCK DRAWERED/ FNBO JEEP CARD $7700/ APPLE CARD $6500/ / PAYPAL CREDIT LINE $1700

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.