cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC account type "unknown" on credit report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CC account type "unknown" on credit report?

Anyone see this before?  I'm not sure if this one account has always been this way and I've never noticed, or if something changed.  I signed up today at creditscore.com to pull up my free FICO 08 and in looking at the data they gave me it said I have 7 open revolvers when I know I have 8.  I thought that was odd, as all 8 report to Experian.  One of my 8 is a "store" card, so I thought that perhaps the creditscore.com software didn't include store cards for some reason. 

I switched over to CCT and pulled up my account and looked at my 8 open revolvers.  In looking at the one store card, under "account type" it says "unknown" where the other 7 say "credit card" in this field.  If it matters, it's a Synchrony/Lowe's card.  Do all store cards report as "unknown" in account type?  Since I only have 1, I can't compare.  If not, is this card being incorrectly reported and should I contact Synchrony to fix it?  Any benefit/drawback to this?  It makes me wonder if this card is even being included in my credit limits, utilization, etc. if it's listed as "unknown."

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
A1Credit
Established Contributor

Re: CC account type "unknown" on credit report?

That's a good question.  I know that my credit cards are often listed as installments instead of credit cards but I never considered whether this may impact my overall available credit on my credit reports.  I'm sorry I cannot be of more help on your issue but you have certaintly brought this issue to light for us all to consider.

***Gardening 3/29/2018 until 9/25/2018***

FICO 8 Scores: EQ~692 l TU~657 l EX~669
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I looked at FICO's 3B report and the 3 store cards that I have (Lowes/Amazon/Overstock) and all report under 'loan type' as Charge Accounts while I others cards report as Credit Cards.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I looked at FICO's 3B report and the 3 store cards that I have (Lowes/Amazon/Overstock) and all report under 'loan type' as Charge Accounts while I others cards report as Credit Cards.

Yeah, I've heard of store cards being listed as charge accounts by people in the past.  I would say then that "unknown" is incorrect on my Synchrony/Lowe's account.  Not sure if it's worth contacting CS to fix how this is reporting or not.  If it's not being included in my overall utilization, I'm missing out on a $30k credit line in there.  I'm still at 1% regardless, but it would make sense I believe to have it included as it should be.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alright, you got me to looking at my reports again. Remind me to cancel CCT in 7days

EQUIFAX: has every one of my accounts listed as Installment Loans. Excluding my closed Fingerhut Fresh Start which it reports as a credit card.

EXPERIAN: has my Comenity/Goody's card, Kohls/Cap1, American Eagle/SYNCB, Belk/SYNCB, and Targe/TD Cards listed as UNKNOWN. However, my Comenity Capital/ HSN and Fingerhut are reporting as retail cards.

TRANSUNION: Has all of my store cards reporting as retail cards. Majors listed as Credit Cards.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hummm, so perhaps this problem is across bureaus and not necessarily with the reporting creditor?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.