Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CK Approval Odds?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CK Approval Odds?

Hi there! First-time poster and happy to be here! I just had a question. I know lenders and score monitors can use different models and come up with different score numbers, but I currently use Credit Karma and show a 630/636 Transunion/Equifax. I went on to their "Recommendations" page, and saw that their approval odds for the Capital One® Platinum Credit Card were at "Very Good". It's the first time that I've seen those odds on there, but I'm skeptical about applying and adding an inquiry to my report. Does anyone have any advice that they think may help me decide whether or not to apply? any knowledge of this particular cards' average approval score(s) or bureau they use to pull scores from? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

***EDIT***

I do not currently know how to add all of the information you folks seem to have under your messages, but I'm going to add whatever information I can about my profile. This information is gathered from CK, so it may not be 100% accurate, but that's all i have to go on at this time.

TU: 

630 Score

9 Inquiries

5 Total Accounts

2 Open ($6,509 Remaining on Car loan and $129 in Collections)

3 Closed

Credit Age (averaged): 8 Months

Derogatory Marks: 1 ($129 Collection Account)

Credit Card Use: No Data

Payment History: 100%

Equifax:

636 Score

7 Inquiries

6 Total Accounts

Same 2 open as TU

4 Closed

Same Credit Age

Same Card Use

Same Payment History

No current Cards or CL, slowly building my score 1 point at a time with my car payments when they report them, 

2007 Hyundai Santa Fe

Financed through Credit Acceptance Corp Smiley Sad

22.99% INTEREST!!! 

I know that's terrible, but I had been denied completely by every other lender attempted.

I'm hoping this community will help me build my profile like it seems to have done with so many others!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
LakeLife
Established Contributor

Re: CK Approval Odds?

There are people on here that could give you an educated guess, but we'd have to know more than just your CK Vantage scores.  Things about your credit profile like current CC utilization, file thickness, average age of accounts, any derogatory remarks, etc?  Many find it helpful to create a signature when able to display those things.  

Message 2 of 18
luxlight
Regular Contributor

Welcome to myFICO. So the main thing that most people mention is that the "preapprovals" that CreditKarma shows are really nothing other than ads. If you want to actually check for preapprovals with certain banks. Most of them such as Chase, Discover, Capital One, etc. have their own preapproval pages that would be much more accurate than what CreditKarma is trying to show.

FICO 8 Scores

TU: 743 [2 Inquiry] | EQ: 742 (FAKO) [0 Inquiry] | EX: 753 [4 Inquiries]

AAoA = 2 years, AAoOA = 3 year 1 months

Message 3 of 18
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

There are MANY banks that have real prequals. 

I would use those to get an idea of where you really stand.

Capital One

Merrick Bank

Home Depot

US Bank

BB&T

Regions

American Express

Discover

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 4 of 18
rbentley
Established Contributor

You will find this link much more accurate than the CK ad.

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/prequalify

Message 5 of 18
Time2letgo
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi there! First-time poster and happy to be here! I just had a question. I know lenders and score monitors can use different models and come up with different score numbers, but I currently use Credit Karma and show a 630/636 Transunion/Equifax. I went on to their "Recommendations" page, and saw that their approval odds for the Capital One® Platinum Credit Card were at "Very Good". It's the first time that I've seen those odds on there, but I'm skeptical about applying and adding an inquiry to my report. Does anyone have any advice that they think may help me decide whether or not to apply? any knowledge of this particular cards' average approval score(s) or bureau they use to pull scores from? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

Welcome to the forum.  Without knowing much about your file, the one question I can answer for you is that Capital One will pull from all 3 bureaus, so you will have 3 hard inquiries.  Good luck.

Work In Progress:
Current Revolving Personal CL: ~$466K

Current Revolving Business CL: ~$107K

Gardening Until Dec 2019 or Until All Scores are back above 800s

Message 6 of 18
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

"Capital One

Merrick Bank

Home Depot

US Bank

BB&T

Regions

American Express

Discover"

also add Citi Bank to That Pre-Qual List

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ignore CK scores and their approval odds.  Their goal is to get you to click and apply for a card so that they get a kickback.  Good approval odds displayed benefits them, not you.

Message 8 of 18
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

Ditto what everyone else has said. Cap1 pulls all three.

Good luck.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the forum, I'll have to co-sign what everyone else is saying.  Credit Karma told me that I had a "poor" chance to get the Chase Sapphire Reserve, applied anyway and got it.  I don't know what factors CK uses but their estimates for card approvals seems off.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.