cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 Repeatedly Getting Hit with Fraudulent Charges - Possible Inside Job?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 Repeatedly Getting Hit with Fraudulent Charges - Possible Inside Job?

A couple of weeks ago, my Capital One QS started racking up random fraudulent charges. I quickly shut it down as soon as I was alerted. A week later, my Cap1 Platinum card (let's call it #1234) was hit with multiple fraudulent charges at various online stores on the same day. That card was also shut down. Fast forward to last week, I received my Cap1 Platinum #4567 replacement card and had yet to activate it. A couple of days ago, I received a text alert from Cap1 stating a charge from Online Subscription Store was declined since card #4567 was not yet activated. I mistakenly assumed the fraudsters were still trying to charge the #1234 card and I made the bigger mistake of activating #4567. Today, I login and see a pending $840 charge from a popular Online Subscription Store.

The reason I think this could be an inside job is because no one had seen #4567. It had not yet been activated, nor had anyone else including myself seen the card since it was still in the original sealed envelope when I got that text message from Cap1 stating the card was declined.

I have never shopped with Online Subscription Store in my life. So what gives? How the heck did they have that card# before I even opened the envelope, much less activated it? 

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Cap1 Repeatedly Getting Hit with Fraudulent Charges - Possible Inside Job?

I don't have any experience with fraud on a Cap One card, but from other posts here Cap One is known to "forward" charges from an old card to a new one, thinking they're doing you a favor in case you forgot to stop recurring charges on the old card. Call Capital One, they should be able to tell you if that's the case and if so block any & all attempts to charge the old card.

No one has to "see" your card, they just get the # & expiration date electronically. It could well be an inside job but if so more likely with the company that actually prints the card and not Cap One, or a hack into that card printing company. 

Message 2 of 20
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Wow. I assume the card number is different from the first one, right? I honestly don’t know how anyone could have that card number. What does Capital One say?

Message 3 of 20
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Don't have an answer, but I will state that Cap One is very easy to deal with for fraud and chargeback issues.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Heard that software exists today where fraudsters can run card numbers randomly and go after a few to obtain goods and services. Know it happened to me on a card that was new and never used but, charges showed up. I was dumbfounded! Nothing is really safe. Good luck on getting out of the circle that is trying to use and abuse your credit!!!

Message 5 of 20
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Maybe someone is using a skimmer at your mailbox or worse....en route.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

I don't have any experience with fraud on a Cap One card, but from other posts here Cap One is known to "forward" charges from an old card to a new one, thinking they're doing you a favor in case you forgot to stop recurring charges on the old card. Call Capital One, they should be able to tell you if that's the case and if so block any & all attempts to charge the old card.

No one has to "see" your card, they just get the # & expiration date electronically. It could well be an inside job but if so more likely with the company that actually prints the card and not Cap One, or a hack into that card printing company. 

I've never charged anything with Online Subscription Store with any card, so it was not a recurring charge. That's what Cap1 was initially trying to tell me, that I subscribed and I needed to dispute it with the merchant. I told them it was fraud, all they had to do was look at my charge history and see there had never been any transaction with Online Subscription Store.  Eventually I got them to close the card down and reissue a new one, as well as block all future charges from this merchant. 

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KLEXH25 wrote:
Wow. I assume the card number is different from the first one, right? I honestly don’t know how anyone could have that card number. What does Capital One say?

Yes the card number is totally different. Cap1 insinuated I made the charge and tried getting me to dispute it with the merchant first. I said no can do since it was fraudulent. 

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Heard that software exists today where fraudsters can run card numbers randomly and go after a few to obtain goods and services. Know it happened to me on a card that was new and never used but, charges showed up. I was dumbfounded! Nothing is really safe. Good luck on getting out of the circle that is trying to use and abuse your credit!!!

This seems like a very plausible explanation, thanks for sharing. I've had at least 10  different cards get hacked over the past 2 years. It's getting worse each day. 

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GApeachy wrote:

Maybe someone is using a skimmer at your mailbox or worse....en route.

Can skimmers read the card through a sealed envelope? If so, that's another very plausible explanation, and a rather scary one. 3-4 of my cards were definitely skimmed at gas stations, because in those instances they were sock drawer cards and the same day I used them at the pump, random charges appeared on the other side of town.  Nowadays I feel extremely uneasy every single time I use one of my cards for anything. 

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.