Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chexsystems security freeze

tag
MidnightOwl
Regular Contributor

Chexsystems security freeze

I had no Idea that chexsystems allow you to place a security freeze on your file. I was on a different forum & they were discussing the security freeze. Apparently, the freeze won't work with your current bank that you have accounts with but, it blocks other banks from seeing the information when applying for new checking/savings accounts. I put the freeze on my report yesterday & I'll give it a test run by applying for a new checking account with another institution. It'll be interesting to see if it works.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
ncks
Valued Member

Re: Chexsystems security freeze

How do you had the freeze?

Message 2 of 16
MidnightOwl
Regular Contributor

I just went to the chexsystems site & it gave me the freeze option.

Message 3 of 16
tray
Valued Contributor

That is good news to hear, keep this forum posted.  I also have a paid insufficient funds bank issue on chexsystems and I wanted to open up a chase checking account due to an offer I recieved but could not do it because of chexsystem data on me.  If this goes through for you, I am going to do the freeze.  Good Luck

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

any luck obtaining a checking account with the freeze?

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's the link to the Security Freeze info on the ChexSystems website.

https://www.consumerdebit.com/consumerinfo/us/en/chexsystems/securityfreeze/index.htm

Message 6 of 16
MidnightOwl
Regular Contributor

Ok, I gave the security freeze a couple of days to go through so, I decided to test it by applying for a checking account with US Bank. When I applied last year with US Bank I was turned down immediatley because of chexsystems but, I just applied  online today 04/13/2010  and I was instantly approved for a checking account. Apparently, the freeze does work. Just to let you know, I applied the same way last year too which was online.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Surviving the OFAC check is probably a bigger accomplishment when opening a new account.

Message 8 of 16
tray
Valued Contributor

@MidnightOwl wrote:

Ok, I gave the security freeze a couple of days to go through so, I decided to test it by applying for a checking account with US Bank. When I applied last year with US Bank I was turned down immediatley because of chexsystems but, I just applied  online today 04/13/2010  and I was instantly approved for a checking account. Apparently, the freeze does work. Just to let you know, I applied the same way last year too which was online.

That is so great, but one question did it result in a hard pull on any of your credit reports for the new checking account.  If not then I am going to do the same as I want a chase checking.

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 9 of 16
MidnightOwl
Regular Contributor

I have no inquiries on my reports because I put a security freeze on transunion,equifax & experian. I know it sounds crazy but, they approved me without any checks on the regular cra.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.