Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citibank help please

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citibank help please

Does anyone know of an automated application status phone number for Citibank credit cards?  I've called them and twice now I've had problems getting information. 

Or an online site where I can get app status.

Thanks
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Re: Citibank help please

You have multiple accounts in collections and you are trying to get another credit card?   OMG, let me guess some people on here have said "keep opening up more credit ( and incurr more debt) so you can have a better Fico number.

Honeslty what you should do is  take a look at your credit report,  look at all the negatives that are bringing them down.   Take care of the baddies first and foremost before incurring more debt.  You main goal should be eliminating your debt not increasing it.   You need to stop worrying about that ALMIGHTY FICO number until your debt is under control.   Get rid of the baddies,  get everything current, pay ALL bils including Utitlities on time.    Then start to work your way up with either a secured credit card or somthing like that.    

One of the worst things you can do is spread yourself out too thin. ( trying to take care of bad debt all the while, incurring new debt)
Take care of all your baddies first,  then go and try to repair your score.  If you keep doing what I think you're doing you are heading down financial hardship.

And please don't take this as criticism or anything.  I am someone who has been down your exact path and I almost lost everything in my life.   Take care of old debt FIRST.
Message 2 of 9
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Sorry KDM  wrong thread poster.    Still good advice
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone have a phone number or link?
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried calling the regular number and just holding til the system gets frustrated and xfrs yoou to a rep?
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Repeatedly banging "0" on most IVR systems will get you through to a human being.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish the same were true for the credit bureaus.  I tried to get through to TU the other day for over an hour and never got a live person and tried every option they had.  I guess everyone took the day off!
Message 7 of 9
Neblett
Regular Contributor

Even when you get through to a person at TU, it doesn't get much better.

I was calling to add one more disputed item and ask a question about several inquiries - since you can't dispute inquiries online - and the guy I got was slow as molasses, and he spoke in such a heavy Indian accent that I could NOT understand him at all so I had to keep repeating myself (and before I get flamed, I am not being racist with that statement - I have many Indian friends and LOVE Bollywood films, so I am usually quite good with even the heaviest Hindi accents, but this guy was impossible to understand).  My call was meant to be very short and direct - just 2 questions.  Then he started going through my credit report LINE by LINE, asking me if I knew about all of my accounts (but he wouldn't ask, "Do yo have a delinquent Ford account?" - he would ask, "Do you have an automobile account?").  When I told him that I was aware of all of my accounts and had disputed several and was NOT asking about those - only the ones I had specifically asked about - he got really bristly.  Then he continued slowly going through the accounts. 

When we finished (30 mins. later) he started asking me questions about my spending habits and income, etc., and I confronted him, asking why he needed to know any of that information.  And he said he was just trying to get a picture of my creditworthiness.  I asked why, and he wouldn't answer.  I finally asked what his agenda behind asking me those questions which were unrelated to my call was, and he said we are just trying to help you sir.  "With what?!" I asked.  I asked if he was trying to sell me something, and he denied that.  He then told me I had really good credit and he didn't know why I was disputing all of these items.  I was incredulous at this - I said, "No.  I have horrible credit, which is WHY I am trying to make sure that my credit report is 100% accurate!"  He then said, "Well I guess we're not getting anywhere" and then hung up on me, but it didn't go to dial tone, so I kept saying "Hello?  Sir?" for 30-40 seconds.  Then I hung up.

When I called back to ask what just happened the woman who answered interrupted me repeatedly and refused to talk about the information from the previous phone call, asking "What can I do you TODAY, RIGHT NOW?"  I said I just wanted to confirm what I had ust disputed had actually been disputed since I got hung up on.  She said that according to her notes, I hung up on the previous agent after he placed me on Mute.  WHY WOULD YOU PLACE SOMEONE ON MUTE?! I asked.  Then I asked if it was common practice to ask the questions he had asked me about my creditworthiness, and she said I can't speak for anyone else.  I then pushed her to answer.  And she finally said that he was probably wanting me to purchase their Score Monitoring program.  Then she hung up on me.

Of course, in both cases when I asked to speak to a manager, I was told that they don't have managers.  A call center full of unsupervised people?  When they are handling some of the most sensitive financial information for every individual in the country? 

So, anyway, to prevent a long story from getting any longer, TransUnion has bad phone service.

What a nightmare.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well it's probably a good thing that I didn't get to speak with them that day.  I certainly wasn't in the mood to go through what you went through and probably would have ended up with some sort of flag put on my report. 

I wish I could get through to them and have them say that to me.  I'd send some quick letters to my state and federal representatives making them aware that I was advised by the CB that there are no managers overseeing the most private, sensitive and life-changing information that we could possibly have.  What a stupid thing for them to say to you.  Even the little sno cone stand down the street has a manager!  Geesh!
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.