Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed discover Account

tag
chris5
Established Member

Closed discover Account

So I had a a discover credit card lost and used fraudulently so the account was credited and I closed it with a zero balance.  after the account was closed they posted charges back on the account after reaching back out there saying I am responsible for some of the charges.  What can i do to further dispute this?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: Closed discover Account

You can ask them to produce paperwork or justification as to why you are responsible for those charges. Closing an account does not prevent charges from being posted on it if those charges were made prior to closure and are legitimate.

Speaking of which, why DID you close the account, since at the point of closure, it sounds like you were satisfied with Discover's actions (i.e. crediting the account)?

Message 2 of 8
chris5
Established Member

I closed the account because it was used fraududenly and they issued a new card and account.  And when I spoke to them on the phone they said they completed their investigation.  If i request the info what can I do then dispute their findings?

Message 3 of 8
yfan
Valued Contributor

@chris5 wrote:

I closed the account because it was used fraududenly and they issued a new card and account.  And when I spoke to them on the phone they said they completed their investigation.  If i request the info what can I do then dispute their findings?

Fraudulant activity on credit cards is not that uncommon. But just to make sure, do you still have a Discover card open (with a different number)?

What you can do once they produce the documents is first go through them and see why they think you are responsible for those charges. If you disagree, you can go through an appeals process or go to court.

Message 4 of 8
chris5
Established Member

i do have a new account new number but they put the fraud charges on it and okay il try to appeal it if not il get a lawyer thank you

Message 5 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@chris5 wrote:

Fraudulant activity on credit cards is not that uncommon. But just to make sure, do you still have a Discover card open (with a different number)?

What you can do once they produce the documents is first go through them and see why they think you are responsible for those charges. If you disagree, you can go through an appeals process or go to court.

Yes, and make sure Discover know that you are still disputing those charges, don't let them cause a late charge/report. 

Just to clarify, so card X was closed, card Y was issued (and we would guess on the SAME account, so card Y has the same age as card X): the chragebacks appear on card Y, not card X right?   That's what would usually happen.

Was it only some of the charges that reappeared?   So Discover accepts that some were fraud but thinks others weren't?   Be interesting to know why!

Message 6 of 8
chris5
Established Member

I did they said they completed the investigation and wont re open unless I have new information.  and yes card Y has the charges on it sorry for the confusion.  Yes they basically left me with half of the charges totaling 1300!!

Message 7 of 8
mrmichaelscott
Established Member

Discover charged back some of the transactions because some of those transactions belonged to OP and OP thought he could have gotten everything removed including his own transactions, that's why he did what he did and he thought that by closing the account Discover wouldn't charge back the account because it has been closed.

Not sure if you hired a lawyer it would help OP, just pay it back before they blacklist you and you will never get another Discover card again.  

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.