Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consumer Finance Account - Examples and Removal

tag
Roque04
New Visitor

Consumer Finance Account - Examples and Removal

What are examples of Consumer Finance Accounts outside of retail accounts?  Is this the type of credit offered by retailers to pay off purchases rather than paying in full?

How long will one of these accounts stay on your report, how can you remove it and how much does it truly effect your score if you've had one and paid it off?  It seems to me that once one of these is paid off, it should be removed and give the consumer positive benefit from creditors such as short term loan payoffs. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
GZG
Valued Contributor

Re: Consumer Finance Account - Examples and Removal

@Roque04 wrote:

What are examples of Consumer Finance Accounts outside of retail accounts?  Is this the type of credit offered by retailers to pay off purchases rather than paying in full?

How long will one of these accounts stay on your report, how can you remove it and how much does it truly effect your score if you've had one and paid it off?  It seems to me that once one of these is paid off, it should be removed and give the consumer positive benefit from creditors such as short term loan payoffs. 

Affirm, Klarna, Afterpay. 

If they report to the CR's, they will remain on the report for 10 years as far as I'm aware.

I know some three payment Affirm plans used to say they won't report to the CR's, but they got rid of that language in their help section of their website. 

It can't both give positive benefit to your credit and be removed, those things are incompatable. 

The main problem is that these services are classifed as CFA's and not installment loans which is a penalty to some profiles for FICO, which means they are toxic garbage potentially harmful for some credit profiles and typically nobody who cares about their credit should touch. 

Just use a credit card and if you can't, you probably don't need to buy it. 

It would be nice to have short-term no-interest options, but they aren't worth the cost of them being added to your credit report. 

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 2 of 8
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@GZG wrote:

@Roque04 wrote:

If they report to the CR's, they will remain on the report for 10 years as far as I'm aware.

I know some three payment Affirm plans used to say they won't report to the CR's, but they got rid of that language in their help section of their website. 

It can't both give positive benefit to your credit and be removed, those things are incompatable. 

The main problem is that these services are classifed as CFA's and not installment loans which is a penalty to some profiles for FICO, which means they are toxic garbage potentially harmful for some credit profiles and typically nobody who cares about their credit should touch. 

It would be nice to have short-term no-interest options, but they aren't worth the cost of them being added to your credit report. 

An auto loan can classify as CFA. Both Honda and Toyota have reported them as such. Pretty sure just about any loan can be marked a CFA. 

Message 3 of 8
mgood
Valued Contributor

Security Finance, Western Finance, World Finance are a few we have around here. The loan places we see in every town. They loan to people who couldn't get a credit card or bank loan, but they may charge eighty-something percent APR Smiley Surprised I have a bunch of old ones still hanging around on my report. One Main Financial may be borderline, they charged me twenty-something percent, and they show up as a CFA on my reports also.

They did help me get from nothin' to somethin', but now that I'm trying to get from good to better, they're kind of a nuisance weighing me down. I have more on TU than the other CRAs for some reason. If you look at the scores in my sig, in the beginning, TU was my highest score. That's because these old accounts were giving weight to my AoOA and AAoA. But once I moved into the mid-700's, TU became my lowest score and the only difference is that these CFA loans still showing up there.

Starting Score: EQ8 680, TU8 713, EX8 701
Current Score: EQ8 778, TU8 766, EX8 770 as of April 23
Goal Score: EQ8 780, TU8 780, EX8 780

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
AZE4 - 2% Utl - New Accts: 3/6, 4/12, 7/24
Message 4 of 8
GZG
Valued Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@GZG wrote:

@Roque04 wrote:

An auto loan can classify as CFA. Both Honda and Toyota have reported them as such. Pretty sure just about any loan can be marked a CFA. 

that sounds really unfortunate, even for not subprime loans? 

I guess that's something I'll have to ask if I ever finance an auto loan

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 5 of 8
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@GZG wrote:

@GZG wrote:

@Roque04 wrote:

I have loans (vehicles, personal, home) with several credit unions and a major bank. Every month myFICO tells me my CFAs balance has gone down. I have yet to figure out which loan it is because I'm not worried about it being that detrimental to my scores. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 6 of 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Adkins wrote:

I have loans (vehicles, personal, home) with several credit unions and a major bank. Every month myFICO tells me my CFAs balance has gone down. I have yet to figure out which loan it is because I'm not worried about it being that detrimental to my scores. 

I'm with you on this, and am one of those who believe that the CFA penatly is minimal for most people.   I have had a CFA on my credit report for years, it's one of those in-store 3year / 0% promos which I took advantage of to pay over time for free.    Scores are all around 800s, and would be higher if my revolving utilization / accts with balance were optimized ; the FICO "CFA" scoring message hasn't even been shown in the top 3 reasons but obviously it's still there. 

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 7 of 8
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@GZG wrote:

@GZG wrote:

@Roque04 wrote:

Correct, we have data points of people qualifying for tier 1 and the loans are CFA. The dealer wouldn't be able to tell you. I highly doubt someone at the lender could tell you either. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.