Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dave Ramsey

tag
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Re: Dave Ramsey

Great job Kev,  awesome ideas.   I think too many people spend more time building their FICO portfolio, (while assuming more debt, just to try and get more and more boosts in their score, again adding more and more debt to their lives)  rather than building their own financial portfolio's.
Message 11 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not that I am trying to advertise for them or anything, but I love my ING account. Gotta love that interest rate. Of course there are other internet banks offering the same or higher interest rates. I liked the ING interface.  My only problem now is that I have the bug and I get impatient with myself, wishing I could pay down the last of my remaining debt quicker. I COULD pay it off, but I do like to take the kids on a vacation each year (using the cash from refund).  As it is, I am applying more towards debt than I am savings, but as this summer goes along, that trend will start to reverse itself.  BTW, if anyone is interested. I saw this on Suze Orman's show. There is a TDAmeritrade account that you can sign up for that is called Plan 170.  You put $50 a month in for 12 months. That money is put into a standard money market account and is supposed to draw 4.5%+ interest. You can pull out at any time, but if you put in $50 "every month" for 12 months, on the 13th month, Ameritrade will put in $100.  Only downside for me is that I have to send an electronic transfer each month instead of doing a DirectDeposit from work.  I figure I drink $50 worth of sodas each month, so what the heck.  But PLEASE, investigate these things for yourself before entering into anything.  I only mention them to demonstrate how I have caught this savings fever and offer details in case anyone else is interested.

Message Edited by KevKaos on 05-11-2007 12:46 PM
Message 12 of 69
MM1234
Regular Contributor

KevKaos - your ING account is a great thing to share info on. I personally know people that use them and love that 4+% rate too!! And its Secure !! They've been with them for years and never had problem. Good deal. I need to look into that too.
Message 13 of 69
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Love my ING too.   Also what is great about it is,  it can take up to three days for a withdraw from the Ing to hit your bank account, so no careless withdrawing and foolish spending and if you change your mind and decide not to withdraw you can cancell it within the time frame.   It's like babysitting, for some of us that need it. 
Message 14 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice to read some posts from those who want to improve their total financial picture, including limited use of debt.  Dave Ramsey's ideas for money management may , on the surface, be too simple and many quickly dismiss his ideas as "simpleton thinking". 
Message 15 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to check out that book. It's sounds awesome. Just wanted to add my 2 cents, cause I'm pretty obsessed with saving myself. HSBCdirect (www.hsbcdirect.com) has an awesome online savings account 5.05% plus they just added an online account for bill pay that earns 2.5%. It's a pretty awesome deal and their customer service is pretty good too. Just wanted to throw that out there in case anyone wanted to shop around for a good online savings account. Definetly give it two thumbs up.
Message 16 of 69
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I don't like him and don't listen to him!
Message 17 of 69
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I diagree with some of what he says. But I do agree on used and old cars (12 Toyota Corolla driver here, with no intention of replacing with a brand new car)  Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 18 of 69
e123
New Contributor

I know the older  car part is hard to follow but I have to tell you I have done just that. I drive a 1995 Lexus ES 300. I looked for a couple of month's before I found the car. The car is in perfect shape is a high end looking and driving and I paid 5600.00 cash. This week I am going to pay the property tax on the car : 20.00. My insurance is cheaper, no payment, no worries. With the money you save buying used you could buy two or three cars if you wanted to. I have owned many new cars and I might buy new again some day but not until I can pay cash.    
Message 19 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm still champ!!
1980 Mercedes Diesel wagon - 297,000 miles!
Message 20 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.