cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute or Not to Dispute?? That is the question...

tag
bgr30
Established Member

Dispute or Not to Dispute?? That is the question...

Hey everyone, I am looking for some opinions. Should I try to dispute a 30 day late from Bank of America that was reported in August 2010? The date of last payment on the account was Jan 2012, closed in July 2012 and last reported to the credit agencies in July 2012.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dispute or Not to Dispute?? That is the question...

Were you late...is it a legit late payment...? Are you referring to the fact that it has been almost 7 years...?

Message 2 of 15
bgr30
Established Member

I don't ever remember missing a payment but then again that was almost 7 years ago. Just curious if is even worth trying to dispute at this point since 7 years is coming up in a couple months.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that if you are not presently shopping for a home, go ahead and dispute it. It wouldn't hurt....especially if you don't remember ever making a late payment or just wait until it falls off. No sure how much it os effecting your score. You haven't posted any details here about your current credit profile...

Message 4 of 15
bgr30
Established Member

Already own a home and have two cars so right now there is no need to apply for anything big. What info do I need to provide on my profile? My credit score currently is around 610 but that is due to some high CC utilization that is currently being paid down by $3,000/month so all my balances are dropping rapidily.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would not.  It so old should be dropping off soon,  7 years this Summer? 

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called my CU to ask them to remove a 60 day from 6.5 years ago. I realize it would fall off soon, but I wanted to just finally remove it. The rep said to dispute it and I did it for TU via CreditKarma with the reason 'creditor promised to remove', or something similar. He said when they get the dispute, they'll review and should be able to remove it.

Message 7 of 15
bgr30
Established Member

Should it fall off in August? or is it 7 years from the last payment?

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

AFAIK it should be 7 years from the last reported deliquent payment

Message 9 of 15
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

7 years from the late payment. You could ask the credit bureaus to remove it early if it's necessary, otherwise you'll see it drop off in the next few months.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.