Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dispute question

My question is how are most of you disputing your credit report? Are you doing in online, snail mail, fax or certified mail. Which do you think works best? The lazy person in me wants to do it online but I am not sure if it is very effective. Any info you all have would be great. I checked into the dispute letter part of Myfico that came with my credit report but it lumps everything into one letter...is this really wise or should you do it all separate? I have about four accounts that are showing balances that are paid off through my BK and I have two judgements that are also showing unpaid, but I have a feeling I will have to jump through "hoops" on those.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dispute question

wildcat, I've only disputed something 1 time in my life, and it was online when I pulled from annualcreditreport.com. Oh boy, is there a story behind that! lol. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I take it that you had bad results?
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ohhhhh yes! Not super bad, just a big, big disappointment. It occured before I knew of this forum. Had I known then what I know now, I would have never done it.

In late July, 2007(last summer) I thought that I would be rewarded for getting out of the debt we owed on 2 auto loans. The loans were nearing the end of the terms.

So we paid them off 4 months early. I was so proud of myself! Smiley Happy Out of debt. Surely that must be a good thing in FICO's mind.

Wrong! My scores dropped 22 points because I exercised good financial responsibility. Or so I thought. I went from 681 down to 659.

The reason? The accounts were still showing as open, and paying as agreed(installment loans). I disputed the fact that the loans were indeed paid in full. They investigated and put paid on the CR. This in turn caused the scores to drop, because no longer did I have the benefit of installment accounts on my CR. Installment accounts make up for 10% of your FICO score. So I lost that favorable mix.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.