Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Divorce Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Divorce Question

Hello, I got divorced a couple of years ago and my ex won the house. I had to do a quick claim deed when she was awarded the house. She has made late payments and I believe it is causing my credit score to go down. Is there anything I can do? Thanks.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is one way to be sure if her late payments are affe...

There is one way to be sure if her late payments are affecting your score, pull your reports. Was she instructed to refinance the house after you vacated? Or were you instructed to maintain a portion of the payments? In your quit claim deed proess wereyou removed as responsible party on the loan?
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you quitclaimed it without getting off the mortgage, y...

If you quitclaimed it without getting off the mortgage, you gave away all your bargaining power.

If you're on the loan, you're on the loan.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

************ not legal advice **********     Usually in a...

************ not legal advice **********

Usually in a divorce a party will not sign a quit claim unless the other party refinances.  I always make sure the transferor (one signing the deed) has an interest in the property until they are off of the obligation.  I also try to make sure if the transferee (one getting the house) does not refinance within a certain amount of time (i.e. 90-180 days), the transferor has the right to force a sale.  Check your papers again - you may have these protections.  You also may have the option to take her back to court to either indemnify (insure) you against any cost or damages (like bad credit), or have the court force a sale.  You may want to contact a good divorce attorney in your area to look at your options based on your state's laws and your court documents (stipulation or judgment).

************ not legal advice ********** 
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do have a vested interest in the house.  Without gettin...

I do have a vested interest in the house.  Without getting too much into the junk, when the judge split the assets, I got the equity in the house to which she lives in.  It says IF she refinances the house, she has to get me off and pay me out.  She is supposed to be fully responsible for making the house payments, but her late payments are showing up on my credit.  I have already spent over $40,000 in attorney's fees fighting for my rights as a father.  I have gotten myself into debt and I am trying to understand how to keep my credit scores up.  I will look more into my rights concerning my credit and the situation through the decree papers.  The only thing I found so far is that if she is 90 days past due, she has to sell or get me off the mortgage.  30 days here, 60 days there, then 90 days will be too late for my credit score.  Thanks for the input!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.