Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family Doesn't Understand My Relationship With Credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Family Doesn't Understand My Relationship With Credit

I currently have 7 credit cards, and live at home. My mom keeps telling me "I am going to wreck my credit for having so many cards" and "it is irrepsonsible to have more than a couple credit cards". I keep trying to explain that havings lots of cards is a good thing if you are responsible but she and no-one else seem to get it. Are we in a bubble on this forum, or are most people just not very credit savy?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Family Doesn't Understand My Relationship With Credit

A semi bubble maybe but reality is most have no idea about Fico scores or how they actually work or how much the system is tilted against them.

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

A semi bubble maybe but reality is most have no idea about Fico scores or how they actually work or how much the system is tilted against them.

1 mil % agreed!!!

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

Well said! +∞ Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 18
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I currently have 7 credit cards, and live at home. My mom keeps telling me "I am going to wreck my credit for having so many cards" and "it is irrepsonsible to have more than a couple credit cards". I keep trying to explain that havings lots of cards is a good thing if you are responsible but she and no-one else seem to get it. Are we in a bubble on this forum, or are most people just not very credit savy?

I'm not an expert on FICO scoring, but is the value of a 5th, 6th, 7th revolving account significant if utilization is low?

I've not had family worried I would wreck my credit, but I have had family wonder how I keep track of it all.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not an expert on FICO scoring, but is the value of a 5th, 6th, 7th revolving account significant if utilization is low?

I've not had family worried I would wreck my credit, but I have had family wonder how I keep track of it all.

I have wondered this myself, actually. IMHO, if you need that many cards just to pad utilization, you are increasing your chances of running up balances and not being able to pay them. Not everyone does this for utilization-padding, of course, but I know a lot of us do, including me. Nevertheless, if you can handle it, no worries. Just my 2 cents. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 18
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Yup..its a bubble.😉
And no matter what, some people won't understand why others use CCs.

You're only over extending yourself if you're using more than you can pay.

I still find value in #40 CC.😂
That's whether FICO scoring finds it of value or not.
Message 7 of 18
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

I have alot more cards than I ever planned to have , however I am keeping my utilization at around 5% which is pretty good with about 100K in credit lines, but I know how quickly you can get into trouble with that amount sitting there. 

I know eventually I am gonna probably get rid of some cards and slim down my portfolio while still maintaining low utlization. I won't lie I like the "cushion" of lines in case I get AA from some creditors, although I am not doing anything to bring that on ( although dormant accounts may trigger).  Of course 5% utilzation is just that no matter if I have 50K or 100K, and I need to keep it that way.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gmood1 wrote:
Yup..its a bubble.😉
And no matter what, some people won't understand why others use CCs.

You're only over extending yourself if you're using more than you can pay.

I still find value in #40 CC.😂
That's whether FICO scoring finds it of value or not.

You are abosolutely right, Gmood. Smiley Wink That statement was meant for people who just open cards just for padding utilization. If you actually use them and find value in them, you are just fine. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jnbmom wrote:

I have alot more cards than I ever planned to have , however I am keeping my utilization at around 5% which is pretty good with about 100K in credit lines, but I know how quickly you can get into trouble with that amount sitting there

I know eventually I am gonna probably get rid of some cards and slim down my portfolio while still maintaining low utlization. I won't lie I like the "cushion" of lines in case I get AA from some creditors, although I am not doing anything to bring that on ( although dormant accounts may trigger).  Of course 5% utilzation is just that no matter if I have 50K or 100K, and I need to keep it that way.

Same. Smiley Happy That's the point of my 2nd reply to the 2nd poster.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.