Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Federal Tax Lien

tag
rockup55
Contributor

Federal Tax Lien

I filed for Chapter 13 in April 2007 which included a Federal tax Lien as a part of the filing.  The Federal Tax  lien was paid off in June 2011 as part of my Chapter 13 payments.  My Chapter 13 Discharge  happen in June 2011 so the Bankruptcy have dropped off my reporting for several years now  but my Federal tax Lien continues to report as a public record baddie.  When can I expect the Federal tax lien to stop reporting  --- Is it 10 years from the  Chapter 13/Federal Tax Lien  filing date which would be this year in April or is it 10 years from when the Federal Tax lien was totally paid off which would not be until June 2021?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
sjt
Senior Contributor

Re: Federal Tax Lien

I believe its 7 years from the date paid.

However, you can request a withdrawal of the lien, which means it would be deleted from public records as if it never happened. The withdrawal request is IRS Form 12277:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f12277.pdf

Search this board for more information before you actually apply.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 2 of 16
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

EX / EQ are 7 years if paid from date filed apparently; TU is 7 years from payment date (hate TU, and teach me to do a flier dispute they pushed my lien fall off date back by nearly a year).

Anyway if it's Federal and paid, go through the lien withdrawal process that sjt mentions, file it as benefit to taxpayer or whatever that checkmark is on the form and done, basically a rubber stamp.

        
Message 3 of 16
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

EX / EQ are 7 years if paid from date filed apparently; TU is 7 years from payment date (hate TU, and teach me to do a flier dispute they pushed my lien fall off date back by nearly a year).

Anyway if it's Federal and paid, go through the lien withdrawal process that sjt mentions, file it as benefit to taxpayer or whatever that checkmark is on the form and done, basically a rubber stamp.

So its a guaranteed approval if the lien is paid.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 4 of 16
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@sjt wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

So its a guaranteed approval if the lien is paid.

Pretty much, I've never heard of anyone's being denied assuming it was fully paid.

        
Message 5 of 16
rockup55
Contributor

Thanks for the input

Message 6 of 16
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Mine fell off after BK7 on EX/TU due to age. Did you get your "Release"? It's 7 years from date filed after being paid/released for EX/TU. But no, EQ has a different rule. "Paid or released tax liens remain on file for seven years from the date released or 10 years from the date filed"

Bankruptcy EQ:
     - Chapters 7, 11, and non-discharged or dismissed chapters 12 and 13 remain on file for 10 years from the date filed
     - Discharged chapters 12 and 13 remain on file for seven years from the date filed" So I'm stuck under 3 years till it's gone. I tried the "Withdrawl" route.Since it was released and showed as paid in BK7, that doesnt count to get a withdrawl.

Message 7 of 16
sjt
Senior Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Mine fell off after BK7 on EX/TU due to age. Did you get your "Release"? It's 7 years from date filed after being paid/released for EX/TU. But no, EQ has a different rule. "Paid or released tax liens remain on file for seven years from the date released or 10 years from the date filed"

Bankruptcy EQ:
     - Chapters 7, 11, and non-discharged or dismissed chapters 12 and 13 remain on file for 10 years from the date filed
     - Discharged chapters 12 and 13 remain on file for seven years from the date filed" So I'm stuck under 3 years till it's gone. I tried the "Withdrawl" route.Since it was released and showed as paid in BK7, that doesnt count to get a withdrawl.

It should not matter. If you get a withdrawal from the IRS, it should be deleted from you credit reports.

Message 8 of 16
sjt
Senior Contributor

With all the changes due to the National Consumer Assistance Plan, Im hoping that the CRA will revise their tax lien reporting policies.

Message 9 of 16
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@sjt wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Bankruptcy EQ:

It should not matter. If you get a withdrawal from the IRS, it should be deleted from you credit reports.

Yeah your right. But you have to get it first. OP doesnt have it yet. But looks like is entitled to a withdrawl.

https://www.irs.gov/irm/part5/irm_05-012-009.html

Chapter 5.12.9.3

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.