Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard pull when adding AU to AMEX?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hard pull when adding AU to AMEX?

Recently got my first AMEX (Hilton Honors, 10k) and wanting to add SO as an AU. Does this typically result in a hard pull for either account holder or the AU?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Re: Hard pull when adding AU to AMEX?

No.  They may do a soft pull, but you're the one responsible for the line so they don't need to signal to other lenders that your SO is seeking additional credit, which is the purpose of an HP.

Message 2 of 7
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Recently got my first AMEX (Hilton Honors, 10k) and wanting to add SO as an AU. Does this typically result in a hard pull for either account holder or the AU?

Only time I have heard of a HP to add an AU to an Amex card is when the primary account holder has an active fraud alert on their reports, I think it was @GApeachy that had that happen, otherwise it is not a HP on either person 

Message 3 of 7
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No HP to add my twin daughters to several accounts. (Including Amex Gold Charge)

Also no HP to add my eldest daughter to Amex Hilton.

Message 4 of 7
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@dragontears wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Only time I have heard of a HP to add an AU to an Amex card is when the primary account holder has an active fraud alert on their reports, I think it was @GApeachy that had that happen, otherwise it is not a HP on either person 

That's correct.  Happened to both dh and myself.  Lesson learned.  When having an active fraud alert, as amex explained to me, protocol is first they must hp, then the fraud dept  contacts primary to verify. 

You have a good memory @dragontears .

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 5 of 7
chalupaman
Super Contributor

I never got a hard pull and I'm an AU on an Amex card right now. Hmmmmm. My card even has its own number and security code. 

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE: Requested the card for SO. No HP reported from any monitoring for my self or AU.

I had read about the possible hard pull, but forgot that it was usually due to fraud alert. Doesn't apply to our situation so its all good.

Thanks for the input everybody.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.