Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help ! Just received collection notice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help ! Just received collection notice

Long story short I received a collection letter from a TSI Transworld ..they list the doctor office that I did see months ago. What’s very strange is I haven’t got calls or any other mail. I didn’t have s balance I have maxed my insurance so no way do I owe 700. I am paying for a sleep cpap machine but that’s with the actual company. Not the doctor office.
The letter is dated Dec 11. It’s apparently the second letter and I just got this today Jan 4th. The address listed is not my address. I moved so my address is different but the actual address on the letter is even incorrect as the numbers are incorrect. So basically incorrect address, never got these on time to even address issue and need to validate this amount with doc office. I checked my report and nothing is listed. I checked my credit karma profile nothing there. Does this mean they haven’t reported and I can resolve before anything happens ?
If they do by the time I call and it ends up on my report will this be hard to remove ? I am buying a house. It’s being built so in May I’ll go through my loan folks. I can easily explain this as the letter itself has wrong address but this was a total shock. No calls no mail then I get this letter.

I’ll call Monday AM. I’m afraid this doc office due to similar reviews on yelp. It’s seems like their office has made mistakes. I dread relying on them to contact TSI collection to resolve. I would even pay the balance to insure this gets resolved before posting to my credit report. Has anyone had this happen ? Where you see this before it gets to report and pay and it not show up on 3 reports ??
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Help ! Just received collection notice

What is the asserted date of initial delinquency on the debt?

The new CRA policy, resulting from their settlement agreement with the offices of the AG of several states, and also incorported into their National Consumer Assistance Plan, is that the CRA will unilaterally block posting of reported medical collections until at least 180 days has expired from the date of initial delinquency, thus providing time for possible resolution before it hits consumer credit reports.

If it has been less than 180 days since the asserted date of initial delinquency, it is possible that they have reported to a CRA, but the CRA is delaying showing in your credit report.

What is the asserted DOFD?

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

In addition to what @RobertEG has already said Don't be scared of it Get on top of it ASAP. I just had some of the same and I jumped on it and made arrangements to pay and they did not report it to the CRA because I handled it ASAP. Some medical collections will even delay reporting it if you make payment arrangements and autopay. I did this with about $30,000.00 worth of medical bills (had a heart issue in Feb/2018) some went to collections some i was able to keep inside the doctors office but the point is none of them reported a negative on my CR because I either paid it off or set up payment arrangements that i faithfully keep. Either way your in a good position to negotiate dealing with it before it turns into a major negative. Call them up and tell them you don't want this on you CR and how can you deal with this insuring it does not get reported. I have found that many medical collections agencies are more then willing to deal with you in a positive manner if you don't let it drag on until you force their hand.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello again.
The letter is dated Dec 11 2018. The letter states it’s the second one and states that they will soon up the trying to collect by having their callers call me.
I just got the letter Jan 4 2019. This debt is an error. My sleep apnea machine was paid to the company that I got my machine from but the doctor office is charging me so it’s a huge issue. Bottom line, if I call and the collection company says they have not reported me to 3 major credit bureaus and I agree just to pay off will it most likely go away or will they still post it??
I don’t care about paying. I am buying a house. It’s much more of a headache fixing this after than simply paying this and it’s over.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

As for date you’re asking, I believe the earliest it would have been was August 2018 time frame. It’s hard to know because I spoke with the office and I didn’t have a bill / nothing. I let them know that I was paying off my equipment with quality dme. Then after that I never got a call email or mail notice.
Now it’s Jan 2019 and I got mail that had the wrong address, never received the first letter they mentioned and it’s from this collection agency. Pure bull crap. I have zero delinquency on my report. I am scared that I tell the office , they figure it out but the collection company still comes after me.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ask them if they posted it already and then negotiate to pay in full for them to delete any info they already reported and make sure you get that in writing before you pay them. If all of this is brand new chances are in your favor you will be successful in either not having it reported yet or getting them to remove anything they did report. I have done this with both medical and non medical collections. I just had a collections for a old wireless bill report and i paid it off in a 3 month payment plan the Collection Agency would not agree to a pay for delete however after I paid my final payment they informed me that even though they don't delete that, because it was only 3 months old they as a professional favor to me would go ahead and delete it and they did. Bottom line is you must communicate and determine what has and has not been done then make arrangements to pay it to where it's favorable to you.  If your dealing with the original creditor (doctors) and they agree to take payment then they should also agree to recall the account from the collection agency (which should stop all collection efforts) otherwise you should be dealing with the collection agency and negotiating with them. Some companies will not even deal with you once they turn it over to a collections agency.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, If this bill should have been covered by medical insurance or was already paid by the same then you should be providing evidence of this and fighting being double charged and threatened by a collection agency without just cause. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok I think I should be ok. So last Friday I got this letter from Transworld collection agency. I called Monday and they said it’s not been reported to my credit but that I needed to call the doctor office to pay. I worked with the doctor office explained they had my address incorrect and long story short I paid it all off. They said they will call the collection agency to remove my information she said no worries on reporting or further action.
She called me back and said all done.
My question is does this just close now on the collection agency side it’s done? Also the agency said they don’t report unless doc office tells them to. Either way I just don’t want any surprises. The doc office was very nice and emailed my copy of the payment made and they called right away to close collection. Then called me to confirm it was closed. Am I good ?? No worries ?
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.