Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with a pay for delete gone wrong

tag
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Help with a pay for delete gone wrong

I think you were lucky with the CRA.  Most likely, the dispute was forwarded to the debt collector, who did not respond, and thus the CRA did not consider the factual issues.

If the CRA digs into the basis, they may summarily dismiss as lacking any asserted inaccuracy in reporting.

Deletion based on payment of the debt is directly contrary to the CRA's own reporting policy, as set forth in their credit reporting manual and their credit reporting agreements.

Thus, disputing non-deletion based on a showing of promise to delete in exchange for payment is asking them to enforce deletion on a basis directly contrary to their own policy.  It also places the furnisher in peril of CRA questions regarding their compliance with their reporting agreement.

Additionally, if the furnisher contests the "promise," the CRA has no authority to intervene in private contract issues.

In my opinion, I would exercise care in filing disputes over PFD compliance.  However, your choice........

Message 11 of 18
spydergto
Regular Contributor

Thanks for your insight I think id learn a lot from bugging the crap outta you with questions! you seem to know quite a bit. yes i think i was quite lucky , as i only had ONE collections account which was the only thing negative on my reports at all. i figured if disputes went bad i could use the documents i had to follow up in court by sueing. but as luck has it , the collections never responded and the marks have been deleted

Ex 750 10/22/2013 Eq 651 11/09/2013 TU 721 12/9/2013

5/14/14 Equifax – 673 Experian – 744 Transunion – 722

already bought the house! closed with a great deal all thanks to information i learned here!
Message 12 of 18
bodyboy1
Established Contributor

i worked for an Attorney for 7 years 2001-2008 i started a credit reform section  b4 i left!

they duped you..  And your not stupid   they Can't erase/Delete that & they knew that when they told you they Would/could!

there are a couple of things u can do...  let me think about this & i'll let u know..  i know u want it off

1<   depending on the Report Agency...  u may a chance of getting it removed, < but i have to think

just remember...  it says paid < and that shows good faith...  so no worries

depending on when it was put on..  it only reflects neg for 12 months (even though u paid)

@lency83 wrote:

I need some help guys. I had a collections on my report and paid it off. Before paying it, I called the collections company and asked them if they would do a pay for delete and they agreed. They specifically told me that they would remove the collection entirely from my report and not just report it as paid. I got nothing in writing from them, just their word. 

Well, I just got a score alert that says that a new collections was added to my report! It's the same collections and the status has been updated to PAID. It did not affect my score at all, but it's till there.

Is there anything I can do? Any suggestions?

@  & will/should drop off @ 24 months

Amazon 5K. AMEX PRG 35kPOT./AMEX MAG 15k. BARNEYS 28.7k. Banana. BAO. CITI Bestbuy/Bloomies 15k/Diamond/Thanku/Macy's 15k. Chase/Freedom. DiscoveriT 13.5K/Chrome. FRONTGATE 4K. Jetblue 5.7K. JCrew 7k. JCPenney 5k. Ring 10k. Sear's MC 11.3k. SAKS 5K SamsClub 10K. Target MC 8.4k. Walmart 6k. Wayfair 4.8k... be good to yourself!
Message 13 of 18
ScoreBooster
Frequent Contributor

@bodyboy1 wrote:

they duped you..  And your not stupid   they Can't erase/Delete that & they knew that when they told you they Would/could!

(...)

depending on when it was put on..  @Anonymous only reflects neg for 12 months (even though u paid) & will/should drop off @ 24 months

@They certainly can (and based on their promise, should) remove this entry from the report - and in addition to that, I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "only reflects negative for 12 months and will/should drop off @ 24 months". Collection accounts can stay on file for up to 7 1/2 years from DOFD and they will never be considered positive - not even after 12 months. In a manual review (i.e. by a human being), a paid collection might look better - but your credit score won't get any higher by paying a collection.

They only entries on a CR I can think of that don't have a negative effect after 12 months and drop off after 24 months are credit inquiries - but that's a totally different subject.

Message 14 of 18
lency83
Established Member

I just wanted to update you all and let you know that the collection has come off my credit without me having to do anything else. My score jumped from 652 to 779. Woo hoo!! Thank you all for your advice. You all are wonderful.
Message 15 of 18
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@lency83 wrote:
I just wanted to update you all and let you know that the collection has come off my credit without me having to do anything else. My score jumped from 652 to 779. Woo hoo!! Thank you all for your advice. You all are wonderful.

Yowza! That's one amazing jump! Congrats and thanks for sharing the information.

Message 16 of 18
bodyboy1
Established Contributor

i'm sorry..  i was talking about 2 different things

yes!   (inquiries)   2 years

Amazon 5K. AMEX PRG 35kPOT./AMEX MAG 15k. BARNEYS 28.7k. Banana. BAO. CITI Bestbuy/Bloomies 15k/Diamond/Thanku/Macy's 15k. Chase/Freedom. DiscoveriT 13.5K/Chrome. FRONTGATE 4K. Jetblue 5.7K. JCrew 7k. JCPenney 5k. Ring 10k. Sear's MC 11.3k. SAKS 5K SamsClub 10K. Target MC 8.4k. Walmart 6k. Wayfair 4.8k... be good to yourself!
Message 17 of 18
Sonic98
New Contributor

It might have been there before, but I've noticed a couple CRAs are showing the dispute reason of "creditor agreed to remove from file." It might be worth it to do a dispute or send a dispute letter with that reasoning in situations like this.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.