cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take to remove an Equifax fraud alert?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long does it take to remove an Equifax fraud alert?

I sent my paperwork to Equifax (a letter, photo ID, and a utility bill) to remove my fraud alert. They received it at noon yesterday (I sent it certified with return receipt). How long do you think it'll take to remove that? 

UPDATE: I posted at midnight, so technically it was yesterday (Thursday) that they received it. Smiley Happy Fixed. 

Message Edited by m3h on 06-05-2009 05:44 AM
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How long does it take to remove an Equifax fraud alert?

I just got off the phone with Equifax who told me it should take 3-5 business days. I guess I won't be hearing anything until at least Tuesday. They actually said they didn't receive my request but quickly took that back after I told them that yes, they did, that I have a signature right here.

In the meantime, I'll continue my daily pulls of my Equifax to see when they remove it, and report back when they do. 

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they recieved your info you can call back and they will remove over the phone no need to wait the 3-5 days.Thats if you need it off asap.
Message 3 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

DW had a fraud alert on EQ too. We took care of it over the phone. It also meant resetting our online access and being asked 100 questions.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! Smiley Happy I didn't add the fraud alert in the first place so I'm going to get on the phone and scream at them now if they don't remove it immediately.

It pisses me off that they think they can add fraud alerts without people's authorization. 

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gawd I HATE THESE PEOPLE. They tell me to speak with the fraud department and provide me the number 1-800-525-6285. THAT'S THE F***ING AUTOMATED FRAUD ALERT NUMBER YOU IDIOT

I'm freezing my EQ after this is all finished. 

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

YES! They removed it! By the way, you can call 1-877-784-2528 which automatically routes to a CSR (without pressing 1). Then you ask for the fraud department (which does not have a direct number) and they can remove fraud alerts.

They told me 24-48 hours and I have a confirmation number. YAY! 

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats and its not going to take 24-48 hrs if you would of made a big stink of it they would of removed it while you were on the phone..
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, the 24-48 hours was a lie - as usual from Equifax. After a lot of complaining they're removing it tomorrow, and this time I got a name and representative ID.

DEFINITELY freezing EQ. 

Message 9 of 12
kaylord84
Frequent Contributor

I had called them today about removing a extended fraud alert from my report. got the 24-48 reply how long did it really take

Starting Score: Eq 485 TU 467 Ex 400 BK filed Dec 2016
Current Score: Eq 723 TU 665 Ex 682
Goal Score: 700 All 3

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.