cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Cancel Credit Check Total in Less Than 30 Minutes (Usually)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to Cancel Credit Check Total

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous

@I'm with @frogman on this one. Clearly these are sneaky business practices that have probably been cheating *thousands* of customers out of their money for months on end due to not being able to cancel. Emails have historically gone unanswered by CCT with numerous complaints littering the interwebs from customers who can't cancel within their short 7-day window.

I say just use the other reputable providers and leave CCT alone.

I don't think they're cheating anyone at all.  I've done proably 40 CCT $1 trials and have never been cheated out of a penny.  You have to understand that you get what you pay for.  You're getting a total of 6 FICO 08 scores for $1; you get 3 when you start the trial and 3 again 7-10 days after.  17 cents per score.  They aren't making money off of anyone doing this.  Something has got to give here.  What gives is the customer service and ease of cancellation.  For what you get for a dollar, I think the minor irritation that goes along with it is worth it.  Others may not and that's fine, they don't need to use the service.

You can use other reputable providers, but are there any?  I don't know of any other place that you can pull your 3 FICO 08 scores at the moment you want them for $1. 

Also, there's a super easy work-around to ensure that you never get charged anything more than $1.  You simply use a gift card that has $25 or less on it to start your trial.  If they ever try to bill you for a full membership at ~$29, you won't have sufficient funds on the card and thus won't be charged.

Interesting perspective. I hadn't considered that. I see how using a gift card would act as a second level of insurance against getting charged. Clever. Smiley Wink

I don't think they're cheating anyone at all.  I've done proably 40 CCT $1 trials and have never been cheated out of a penny.  You have to understand that you get what you pay for.  You're getting a total of 6 FICO 08 scores for $1; you get 3 when you start the trial and 3 again 7-10 days after.  17 cents per score.  They aren't making money off of anyone doing this.

Correction: They aren't making any money off of YOU by doing this because YOU know what to do to avoid being charged. (And now I do too so thanks a bunch Smiley Tongue)

Do you assume that all the other users are as savvy as you are? Given the amount of complaints from users who have had to cancel their bank cards (just Google it), they're probably not. My guess is that you (and everyone else following this thread) are in the minority and that CCT is indeed making money hand over fist without our dollars. How many times have you forgotten to cancel a subscription and just ate the loss? I know I have! I'm pretty sure CCT is doing okay or else they wouldn't be able to keep the service going.

But thank you for opening my eyes to something I hadn't considered! When you put it that way, I guess it does work out to be valuable IF you know what you're doing.

Message 21 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what this forum is all about... the transfer of knowledge and learning.  That's why I'm here and presumably why you are as well. 

If someone forgets to cancel a $1 trial within the 7 day window, that's on them.  With technology today there's literally zero excuse not to have set yourself some sort of reminder to cancel.  CCT isn't preying on people forgetting to cancel, they're hoping that people enjoy their dollar trial enough to want to commit to spending $29/mo.  If someone forgets to cancel, they get charged $29 and then that person WILL cancel.  Yes they're out the $29 one time, but they aren't locked into some lengthy contract or something.  CCT would much rather that someone enjoy their $1 trial and decide to spend $29 many times by going with a full membership rather than a one-time fee being received.

The problem with a monthly CCT membership and really most monthly memberships as I have come to understand is that you get less with the monthly membership than you would get with a couple of $1 trials.  Monthly memberships typically provide you with reports/scores once per month, where with CCT you can get them 2-4 times per month (essentially turning it into a service that updates weekly) for a fraction of the cost.  Also, unlike a monthly service, you can simply decide to stop your $1 trials any time you want if you know a period of months is going to go by where you'll have no meaningful changes to your reports/scores.  With a monthly membership during those times you'd just be throwing that $29/mo away for no good reason.  Yes, you get credit monitoring, but you can get that for free from many other sites and often your alerts will come quicker from the free services than they would come from the pay services.

Just my opinions here on the topic.

Message 22 of 69
jgdev
Regular Contributor

This worked like a dream. Was on the phone for less than 5 minutes from hitting send on my phone to membership cancelled. Spent 10 seconds on "hold". Guy was really nice and didn't give me the usual "please don't leave" speech.

06/01/2022

12/07/17
Message 23 of 69
kshurika
Frequent Contributor

Still, 3 1/2 minutes longer than email.

Message 24 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Still, 3 1/2 minutes longer than email.

Agreed, except the intangible here is that with the phone cancellation it happens immediately (at the time of the phone call) rather than 1-2 days, possibly longer, or whenever they get to your email.

Message 25 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's IF they get to it at all.
Message 26 of 69
kshurika
Frequent Contributor

I just did my umpteenth email cancel a few days ago and got an email acknowledgment. Then, today, I got the usual, "Whoops, there's a problem with your card" email. Even after canceling, they were going to run it again. That's why I use the Amex gift card. Saves lots of trouble.
Message 27 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kshurikaI just did my umpteenth email cancel a few days ago and got an email acknowledgment. Then, today, I got the usual, "Whoops, there's a problem with your card" email. Even after canceling, they were going to run it again. That's why I use the Amex gift card. Saves lots of trouble.

This only proves that there can at times be a disconnect with email cancellations, be it in time, responsiveness, processing, etc.  If you received an acknowledgement and then also received an attempt to charge your card, a CSR never actually cancelled your trial membership.  I've cancelled both ways, via phone and email, probably 40+ times at this point.  When cancelling by phone, it happens instantly and never once has an attempt been made to charge my card after, even if it was on Day 7. 

Conversely, I've cancelled via email as early as Day 1 (literally minutes after starting a $1 trial) and an attempt to charge my card was made sometime between Day 8 and Day 10 or so.  A couple of times before I started using a low balance gift card specifically for CCT only, my other cards were charged.  Fortunately the CSRs have no problem reversing a CC charge once they see your email is time-stamped inside of the 7 day trial window.

Message 28 of 69
kshurika
Frequent Contributor

Well, because I loathe waiting on the phone, I use a gift card and email. If they screw up, it's all on them. No harm no foul to me.

CCT's valuable, though.
Message 29 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

I continue to have no issues canceling my cct trials through the main number by calling at less busy times. Earlier today I tried calling around noon and did not receive a hold time estimate, so I hung up after 4 minutes. I tried again 15 minutes before the listed closing time and the entire called lasted under 3.5 minutes and I had the cancellation confirmation email before getting off the phone. 

It is just personal preference, but I tend not to use the backdoor numbers or methods if I can avoid it.

Message 30 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.