cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to delete my ChexSystems.com account (just for the web portal)

tag
TyrannicalDuncery
Regular Contributor

I want to delete my ChexSystems.com account (just for the web portal)

Today I created an account on ChexSystems.com, that lets me log in and manage various Chex-related things. Now I'm regretting it (I'll explain why), and I would like to delete my account. I'm going to call customer service tomorrow.

Can anyone give me advice on how to delete my account?

UPDATE: Talked to customer service and it's not possible. They also were not able to mask my driver's license number or social security number, nor were they able to remove SMS as a 2FA option. I was able to remove SMS as a 2FA option myself by switching my phone from "mobile" to "phone."

Just to be clear, I only want to delete like my username and password and stuff. I'm not trying to do an opt-out, or delete my financial information, or anything like that.

Why do I want to delete my account? Well: It turns out that, once I log into the ChexSystems website, I can view my full driver's license number and social security number. I know that's not unheard of or horrible, but I didn't expect it. Given my living situation, I see it as a security risk (even with the text/phone/email-based 2FA). I know I'm blowing this out of proportion, but it really does seem like a goldmine for identity thieves. We know that SMS 2FA is pretty vulnerable, and the practice of showing full SSN and DL information is something I haven't seen on any similar site, like the big 3 or banks or whatever else.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: I want to delete my ChexSystems.com account (just for the web portal)

Personally, I'd be more concerned with my living situation if I'm worried about someone stealing my personal information. Luckily for me, my dogs can't work my computer. I think. Well, I've never seen them do it. Now I'm wondering if I should set up a camera. 🤔

Message 2 of 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@TyrannicalDunceryJust an FYI. Here is a list from CFPB of all the CRA's or the like that have your info. More than the 2 you start threads about. EWS and Chex. Really over 200 CRA's that can be or are used.

https://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/documents/cfpb_consumer-reporting-companies-list_2022.pdf 

Message 3 of 11
TyrannicalDuncery
Regular Contributor

Thanks @FireMedic1!!

I'll have you know I've started threads about four consumer reporting companies! That's a whopping ~2% of the total ~200 you described. I think I've got my bases covered. 😛

Seriously though: Do you have suggestions for what other ones might be most important? I've received reports from about 20 companies on that list (including all the bank, subprime, medical and supplementary ones), and most of them don't show any information about me.

In this case I'm not worried about the privacy risk, just how it could affect my applications.

Message 4 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@TyrannicalDuncery wrote:

Today I created an account on ChexSystems.com, that lets me log in and manage various Chex-related things. Now I'm regretting it (I'll explain why), and I would like to delete my account. I'm going to call customer service tomorrow.

Can anyone give me advice on how to delete my account?

If this is not a well-known thing, then I will post about my experience here. Probably most people are either a) not neurotic enough to worry about this, or b) if they are, not stupid enough to make an account in the first place. But if you, like me, are BOTH neurotic AND stupid, then maybe this will help. Live and learn (hopefully).

Just to be clear, I only want to delete like my username and password and stuff. I'm not trying to do an opt-out, or delete my financial information, or anything like that.

Why do I want to delete my account? Well: It turns out that, once I log into the ChexSystems website, I can view my full driver's license number and social security number. I know that's not unheard of or horrible, but I didn't expect it. Given my living situation, I see it as a security risk (even with the text/phone/email-based 2FA). I'm pretty sure it's also different from how similar sites like Equifax work.

I don't think you're going to gain anything by deleting your account.   ChexSystems will still have all of your data & information.   If you're paranoid about a bad actor stealing / hacking your credentials ( even with 2FA ) then you should probably be equally worried that they'd just be able to create a new account without your knowledge. 

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 11
TyrannicalDuncery
Regular Contributor

Thanks @pizzadude , that makes sense! I do have one possible objection, wondering what you think.

If you're paranoid about a bad actor stealing / hacking your credentials ( even with 2FA ) then you should probably be equally worried that they'd just be able to create a new account without your knowledge.

I could be wrong but, as far as I can tell, getting an account on ChexSystems doesn't actually allow me to do anything that I wouldn't normally be able to do; the only exception I can see is that I no longer have to fill out all my personal information every time I make a request.

If I'm correct about that, then this imaginary bad actor who has the necessary information to create a fake account on ChexSystems also doesn't really gain anything by making an account. (Maybe it helps them request my reports a little faster, so they can get my other account info?). Am I missing something?

At the same time, an imaginary bad actor who just has my password and the ability to intercept a text message would be able to leverage that into obtaining my DL and SSN (now that I have the account).

Message 6 of 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Personally. There are bigger things to worry about. You got yourself into this funk of EWS/Chex/Nexus,ect. And being a victum of fraud or something that is or isnt there. Your smart phone has more info about you than these companies have. Every move you make is recorded. Your always being watched. Location turned on or off. The big boys know where you been and with AI probably know where you'll go next. Search Google for something out of the blue. Then go on YouTube and theres a video. Theres no escaping it. Just have to accept privacy is gone. If you have a banking baddie in the past on EWS/Chex. It has to run its course and fall off. Just like a CRA. Build your credit profile and live life w/o fear of things you cant control.

Message 7 of 11
TyrannicalDuncery
Regular Contributor

@FireMedic1You're right, good advice. It was fun for me for a while, and I did get something out of it. But at this point it's become a bit of an obsession and it's causing me to make minor impulsive decisions (like setting up a ChexSystems account in the middle of the night).

Message 8 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Personally. There are bigger things to worry about. You got yourself into this funk of EWS/Chex/Nexus,ect. And being a victum of fraud or something that is or isnt there. Your smart phone has more info about you than these companies have. Every move you make is recorded. Your always being watched. Location turned on or off. The big boys know where you been and with AI probably know where you'll go next. Search Google for something out of the blue. Then go on YouTube and theres a video. Theres no escaping it. Just have to accept privacy is gone. If you have a banking baddie in the past on EWS/Chex. It has to run its course and fall off. Just like a CRA. Build your credit profile and live life w/o fear of things you cant control.

Right, but OP (at least originally) was worried about a different point!  The concern is that a bad actor (individual) could somehow login to the new chexsystems.com account and see the full SSN and DL number.   Yes, Chex, all the CRAs etc have it, but Joe Hacker (possibly) doesn't.   So creating the account, which doesn't help or hinder credit worthiness in any way, has made one more potential leak if the account is hacked.

Anyway, I thought that was the original concern.   Probability of it happening weighted with impact of event: not worth worrying about!

OP: just post your SSN and DL number here and be done with it.

Message 9 of 11
TyrannicalDuncery
Regular Contributor

OP: just post your SSN and DL number here and be done with it.

Roflmao, that would be easier at this point! Thanks for helping me calm down, @longtimelurker @FireMedic1 @pizzadude @Brian_Earl_Spilner.

@longtimelurkerI think you correctly expressed a) what my actual concern is, b) how silly it is. Anyway, it seems like there's nothing I can do about it.

I think there's a chance that placing a security freeze will add one more level of password protection on top of my account, I'll let you know.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.