cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identity Protection - Best Source?? -Independent or CC affiliated

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Established Contributor

Identity Protection - Best Source?? -Independent or CC affiliated

What is the general consensus on Identity Protection and maintaining a sound financial  portfolio?

Which provider, CCC based or CRA  based ,offers the best  protection?

I've seen a lot of marketing for these services lately.

Any thoughts or comments are welcomed.

 

Thanks,           veracious

_________________________________________________
"You may never know what results come of your actions,
but if you do nothing, there will be no result" ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Established Contributor

Re: Identity Protection - Best Source?? -Independent or CC affiliated

Unbelievable!!! 

None of the FICO High Achievers use identity protection???????Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

_________________________________________________
"You may never know what results come of your actions,
but if you do nothing, there will be no result" ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Message 2 of 11
New Contributor

Re: Identity Protection - Best Source?? -Independent or CC affiliated

I personally don't use any company to pay for Identity Protection as I keep a close eye on my open accounts and by reviewing my credit reports as needed.  Most companies can't provide much more than what you can do for free by yourself (assuming you don't pay for any credit reports!)

 

Personal vigilance has proven successful and I have not encountered any problems to date.

 

AAA membership provides a free credit monitoring service and they update with email notification monthly of any new changes on my Experian credit report.

They also provide additional monitoring of the other CRA's for a  monthly fee, but I haven't found the need to subscribe.

 

My current scores obtained through myFICO are 728 TU and 720 EQ, so I don't think I qualify yet as a "high achiever" yet, but a work in progress!



Starting Score: 696
Current Score: TU 731 7/30/10 EQ 789 8/23/10
Goal Score: 800


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 11
Established Contributor

Re: Identity Protection - Best Source?? -Independent or CC affiliated

Kittygal,  you're right when it comes to monitoring your reports.

We are basically in the same boat when it comes to credit scores.

I was wondering what you or anyone else thought of the  Protect my ID product from Experian.

They monitor the internet  for  identity theives.

                                                                                   Here's the link I saw ------->               Protect my ID

Is there a better product out there?

 

_________________________________________________
"You may never know what results come of your actions,
but if you do nothing, there will be no result" ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Message 4 of 11
New Contributor

Re: Identity Protection - Best Source?? -Independent or CC affiliated

Well, I have no personal experience with any ID protection services, but I googled "ID protection/reviews" and it pulled up several web sites comparing various companies. Maybe that would help you narrow your choices and give you an idea what is available/cost, etc.



Starting Score: 696
Current Score: TU 731 7/30/10 EQ 789 8/23/10
Goal Score: 800


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 11
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Identity Protection - Best Source?? -Independent or CC affiliated

 


@veracious wrote:

Unbelievable!!! 

None of the FICO High Achievers use identity protection???????Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy


 

I don't.

 

 

From a BK years ago to:
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 6 of 11
Established Contributor

Re: Identity Protection - Best Source?? -Independent or CC affiliated

 


@MarineVietVet wrote:

 


@veracious wrote:

Unbelievable!!! 

None of the FICO High Achievers use identity protection???????Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy


 

I don't.

 

 

From a BK years ago to:
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score


Thanks, marinevietvet, for your reply.

 

For a while, I thought no one would give me any feedback on this post.

Maybe I'm the only one who feels that too many people have access to my personal info.

For example;   unscrupulous CA employees that switch from agency to agency,restaurant waiters,etc,etc.

10 million Americans have their identity stolen each year.  All of these criminals can't be dumpster divers!!

I just thought it would be a worthwhile consideration to have protection of some kind.

I hope I never have to experience the damage to my finances because of ID theft.

 

 

_________________________________________________
"You may never know what results come of your actions,
but if you do nothing, there will be no result" ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Message 7 of 11
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Identity Protection - Best Source?? -Independent or CC affiliated

IMO, the best method is to subscribe to a CMS to see your reports and nearly every CMS out there monitors the CRA(s) on a daily basis too. Kills two birds with one stone.  I'll also pull directly from each CRA each quarter to track soft inquiries. If anything fishy appears, you can always be practive about it to get it removed and to insert fraud alerts on each report.

Message 8 of 11
Established Contributor

Re: Identity Protection - Best Source?? -Independent or CC affiliated

 


@llecs wrote:

IMO, the best method is to subscribe to a CMS to see your reports and nearly every CMS out there monitors the CRA(s) on a daily basis too. Kills two birds with one stone.  I'll also pull directly from each CRA each quarter to track soft inquiries. If anything fishy appears, you can always be practive about it to get it removed and to insert fraud alerts on each report.


 

Thanks, Ilecs.

I believe better protection is available. Just monitoring your reports is definetly a good start.

However, what about your bank accounts, SS#, and web detection. How about this product ---------------->http://www.equifax.com/id-patrol/

 

                             veracious                    


 

_________________________________________________
"You may never know what results come of your actions,
but if you do nothing, there will be no result" ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Message 9 of 11
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Identity Protection - Best Source?? -Independent or CC affiliated


@veracious wrote:

 


@llecs wrote:

IMO, the best method is to subscribe to a CMS to see your reports and nearly every CMS out there monitors the CRA(s) on a daily basis too. Kills two birds with one stone.  I'll also pull directly from each CRA each quarter to track soft inquiries. If anything fishy appears, you can always be practive about it to get it removed and to insert fraud alerts on each report.


 

Thanks, Ilecs.

I believe better protection is available. Just monitoring your reports is definetly a good start.

However, what about your bank accounts, SS#, and web detection. How about this product ---------------->http://www.equifax.com/id-patrol/

 

                             veracious                    


 


I use it actually, but not for reasons mentioned. I subscribe for the unlimited EQ pulls. I never bothered inputing my other stuff like checking info. I never needed to plus I check my bank accounts at least weekly. IMO, if a identity thief is going to target you, he's going to do so for the credit aspect and any monitoring service can catch that.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.